All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kate!
      #227295 - 11/25/05 05:09 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

When do you stop eating at night??? With the reflux thing....I don't know when I should stop eating. I get really bad hunger pains really late that will not go away unless I eat. I cannot even sleep through them....
??????
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kate! new
      #227303 - 11/25/05 06:32 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

After supper, if desired, I'll nibble on dry stuff until an hour or two before bed. That's the trend, lately.

Like you, I cannot sleep unless I have a snack before bed. Also, night meds. without at least a few crackers will make me reflux.

Without a nibble, I wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. FAMISHED! I'm literally EMPTY. Something acid-free and bland like crackers or cereal or pretzels or arrowroots should be fine.
I used to do fruit (i.e. applesauce/banana or something more exotic), but that causes way too much acid. Something like soy ice cream or chocolate would definitely get me up with reflux/heartburn.

I am so NAUSEATED today. I think I might give up veggies for awhile. Honestly, it pains me to say that but they just offend my body for some really bizarre reason. I don't get it. I'm not going to get frustrated about it--just listen and respond. I didn't have reflux--just NAUSEA. Maybe, in terms of veggies, I'll stick to soups/mashed potatoes, if desired. Yes, that's a better option. Oh re: dry toast--it totally stayed down! I kept it plain. (I'm not sure if untoasted, for some strange reason would have worked.)

Try dry acid-free snacks. Yes, boring, I know. Hmmm...maybe I can hunt down some matzos or something. Belinda highly recommends them. Must check out the HFS for more interesting boring stuff.

Kate.

Re: Kate! new
      #227350 - 11/26/05 07:26 AM
anlikerm

I'm like you, I went to sleep last night on an empty stomach and woke up at 2:30am with really bad hunger pains. I couldn't go back to sleep until 5:00! I will be eating tonight before I lay down.

Sorry to hear you were so nauseated, yesterday. So was I!! Today is better. Very normal BM this morning....surprising, no nausea, just starving and I can't eat for another hour because I just took my Nexium. I'm starving!!! I want to eat now!!

I guess you should try to lay off the veggies for a little while if they are bothering you......I know what you mean about them not making you reflux, just nauseated. Peas and carrots did that to me the other day. I didn't have not one episode of reflux but they did make me nauseated and I had the WORST D ATTACK, the next morning!!! I won't be doing that again soon!!

Got to go to the store, today and get some potatoes. I'm craving potatoes.....Hopefully I won't get nauseated while I'm in the store!!! I hate this reflux.....I hope it gets better soon. I really miss eating.

Are you feeling better, today??? I haven't tried any toast in a while, I'm glad it sat well with you!! Eat some more of it, today!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Michelle! new
      #227357 - 11/26/05 08:03 AM
Wind

Thanks for the support! Potatoes should be pretty safe--but as usual, go for the 3 bite rule! Remember, though that potatoes do add to fecal bulk as the are SF and that like apples/bananas and other fruits and veggies they have more weight (not calories--they're vitamin/mineral powerhouses!, just weight/gravity). Try some skinny mashed potatoes using organic chicken stock (IMAGINE) for a little flavour. Yum.

I had another thought--I know that your safest foods are:

cream of wheat
pretzels
mini bagels

I also know that you are craving portabella mushrooms. Perhaps try some very finely sliced/organic broth sauteed portabellas in conjunction with one of your safest foods? Maybe as a savory cream of wheat topping?

Try an acid free bedtime snack (maybe cream of wheat?)--stick to a safe food and see how it goes. Like you, I have the same HUNGER wake-up call if there is no snack and subsequent inability to fall asleep again.

Let me know how the 'taters go!
Good luck. Thanks for your support/encouragement. I often get really frustrated/tired only to try again the next day--however, I won't force the issue. I think cereal/rice are probably my safest foods.

Kate.

Re: Michelle! new
      #227361 - 11/26/05 08:12 AM
anlikerm

I really appreciate your support, too! You have really helped me alot!!

I will go really slow with the potatoes. I might try and add some crispix, today, too. It's really hard eating my cream of wheat this morning....no appetite anymore. Everything is moving around and I feel gassy.......because I had such a big BM this morning, I guess.....there's nothing left in me!! It's always harder for me to eat on days that I have a really big BM. I don't know why.......
It's really irritating, though!

I'll let you know how I do with the potatoes.....Have you eaten today?? Did you have an attack this morning??? I hope not. I hope you're doing well, today!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Q for kate & michelle new
      #227365 - 11/26/05 08:22 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

do you ever have nausea from the acid without the actual burning feeling? it feels like carsickness nausea, without any ibs symptoms. not sure where it's coming from, and wondering if you ladies knew what it might be.

merci!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: Yep! new
      #227373 - 11/26/05 08:40 AM
anlikerm

That's exactly what I experience every single day.....I didn't know it was reflux until my doctor did the endoscopy. I don't have the typical heartburn symptoms of acid in the back of my throat (well, I do at night, but not during the day), chest pains, regurgitation, none of it. I just feel nauseated! I didn't know what it was......the doctor told me I had a hiatal hernia and it was acid reflux that was causing the nausea. So, I'm on Nexium now and it is taking FOREVER to kick in but it is beginning to help, I think.

Hope this helps! Are you experiencing this, too??? It could very well be acid reflux....or trapped gas. Trapped gas makes me very nauseated, too!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#227375 - 11/26/05 08:44 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i'm not sure what exactly it is. once in a while i've gotten the burning stomach, or burning at the back of my throat... right before my previous health insurance ended i called my dr, and he suggested 2 weeks of pepcid, and if it didn't go away to come in. and then i changed jobs, and now i don't have insurance for another month. so i'm just using pepcid and pepto to keep it in check, make sure i don't do any lasting damage, till i can go to the dr and find out what's what.

i think i remember hearing that ginger's bad for reflux? it's a shame, because it totally takes care of my nausea...

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: Oh, I know..... new
      #227389 - 11/26/05 09:29 AM
anlikerm

My MIL just told me a few weeks ago not to be taking Ginger anymore because it's making my reflux worse!!! I didn't know that, but she's right!!

I just got nauseated a little while ago and had to go lay down....what do I do for nausea, now??? Well, I made some chamomile tea and it helped me relax a little bit so the nausea didn't get too bad, but it was pretty bad for about 30 minutes.

The last time this happened to me in college, my doctor suggested the same thing. Well, mine was really bad (I had that lump feeling in my throat and couldn't swallow). I was on the prescription Prilosec (10 yrs ago) for a year and it finally went away!!. So he said if it ever happened again to go on Pepcid AC (Maximum Strength 20mg) for 30 days and it should take care of it. Well, it came back again, what, 3 month ago and I was taking 2 Maximum Strength twice a day for about 2 months and it didn't do a thing.......So I went back to the doctor. I was getting that burning feeling in the pit of my stomach when I would eat.....it was really bad then.

Now, with the Nexium it's not as bad....the gas is still bad, though. Gas-X isn't helping.

Any suggestions??? I'm taking digestive enzymes, too.

You should be okay taking the Pepto and the pepcid, until you can get to the doctor. If you're having to take both of them like I was, you might need a PPI like Nexium or Prilosec or something stronger than Pepcid.

Keep us posted!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

YES!!! absolutely. all the time! new
      #227391 - 11/26/05 09:40 AM
Wind

That is such an apt description of how I feel everyday--carsick/travel sick/motion sick.

Sometimes, I have that "hangover" feeling, too, but mostly it's that carsickness. Honestly, I cannot drive anymore because of it. Usually, though, there's no acid (sometimes, but it's more rumbles/rolling). But, the carsick/nausea feeling does make me "toss my cookies" often(or my salad--hence no salad!). It's that kind of bungy-cord effect.

I've omitted any high sulfurous foods for that reason--they make me puke (or the opposite, D).

Gas Pills/Beano/Enzymes really decrease the problem if there's food in me.

One more note: I've puked water due to this carsick feeling too. Yes, has water ever given you acid?
Kate.

Re: Me, too.... new
      #227395 - 11/26/05 09:48 AM
anlikerm

The first time I got sick I was just throwing up water, too. I had that reallly bad hungover feeling!!! That's more how I feel everyday. I tell my friends that my sickness feels like a PERMANENT HANGOVER!! Wake up, D attack, nausea, stomach ache, headache, ALL OF IT!!!!!
I feel hungover every single morning!! And I didn't even get to experience any of the benefits from the night before (meaning, I didn't even drink alcohol!). It would almost be worth all the pain and agony if I had fun the night before!! I'm just suffering over here for no reason!!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#227402 - 11/26/05 10:27 AM
Wind

Hmmm...I guess the best way to describe it would be...
if I swallowed a bumble bee in sting mode that's what it feels like; except the queen bee isn't dead, rather she's buzzing somewhere between my throat and my stomach.

silly, i know. mostly, though it's just nausea. i get both dry heaves and wet heaves (it depends on what's in me). it's a rollercoaster feeling. it's like i'm on an airplane that rarely lands or on a subway.

i guess, lately i am learning that my ultra-safest foods at these vulnerable times are mostly rice-based, high SF, and DRY.

i did a little reading and i'm going to try a few new tactics as SMELL is a factor and i believe food temperature.

hot/warm foods make me nauseated. so, i'm going to try room temperature or slightly chilled. also, i note of late that the smell of lemon really takes the edge off the nausea. also, if the food has a distinct/predominating fragrance during the eating time (often associated with heat very recently applied) then it either nauseates me and if i am unstable gives me D. so...no smelly food, or rather food that smells. it's the whole movie theatre popcorn effect, i suppose. i smell it--my stomach does a "wazoozle" and i get both D and nausea! except, it happens in my own kitchen if the prep. is too close to eating. maybe that's why stuff like cereal/crackers/safe cookies--dry stuff--is so effective for me. note: i also get really sick if there is a chemical smell or someone has intense perfume/deodorant on. body odor (sweat) i can handle--but sweat/b.o. and perfume combined--bleh!

we'll see.

just a few thoughts...what do you think? is there a connection? can you relate? or, is it just me?

(as i write this, my border is cooking lamb with 3L of onions and maybe 5 bulbs of garlic, not to mention a few cans of tomatoes and...THE WINDOWS ARE OPEN!)

kate.

Re: OMG~You are hilarious, Kate! HEHEHEHEHE ~nt~ new
      #227466 - 11/26/05 02:53 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4864

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review