All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
REPORTING IN - 11/20/05
      #226292 - 11/19/05 10:36 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 11/20 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN - 11/20/05 new
      #226294 - 11/20/05 12:02 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey guys,

Here's how my day went:

1/2 banana with cereal and soy milk

3 bean salad

soy cheese pizza

a couple glasses of red wine...

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

--------------------
Julia

#226337 - 11/20/05 11:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, I'm goin to start posting in AGAIN! This diet for hypoglycaemia I;m on is difficult and I'm not doing it 100% yet so I think I need input.

B: Oatmeal with blueberries and rasperries.
L: Prawn and rocket sandwich.
S: Rooibos with soy milk. Kettle chips.
D: Carrot and parsnip soup with toasted croutons. Fishfingers (yeah, it was a weird meal, but we were tired and cold! ).

So, I did okay on my 3 slices of bread including the croutons. BUT I had Kettle Chips which is just NAUGHTY and I had parsnip in the soup which isn't allowed on this darn diet.

I'm not doing AT ALL well at cutting out the carbs I love, ie, potatoes, pasta, rice, parsnips.... And I seem to get MORE headaches if I try to cut them out. Yesterday I ended up with a migraine and had to eat some pasta (which helped alot) and go to bed.

Ruchie, Kate, anyone, am I doing something wrong??? Are the carby veg really sooo bad for my blood sugar levels?

Re: Linz new
      #226340 - 11/20/05 12:22 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I checked out The First Year: Fibromyalgia from the library and there are a couple of chapters about the hypoglycemia diet. Have you read this yet?

You should stock up on nut butters, since you're able to tolerate some fat in your diet, and nuts are allowed on the diet. The book also suggests to have egg salad (you could make this with egg whites only, right?), baked apples, fritatas available to snack on so you won't feel deprived. Kate has recently posted about microwaving apples - this would save you time and energy. The book also contains almost the same fauxtatoes recipe that's listed in the recipe index! There's a list of substitutions for specific cravings, for example, if you crave pasta have spaghetti squash w/ homemade tomato sauce or if you crave rice substitute chopped water chestnuts.

It's going to be quite a challenge to combine the IBS and hypoglycemia diets, but I'm sure you can do it! We're all here to support you!

Re: REPORTING IN - 11/20/05 ** and Introduction** new
      #226353 - 11/20/05 04:30 PM
arafel

Reged: 11/05/05
Loc: Amherst, Ma

Hi Everyone -
I've been a major lurker on here for a while now and as I over ate AGAIN tonight I figured I really need to start posting. Let me start out by saying I appreciate this site so much. It's really helping me feel less alone with all this crap (um.. ). I've found so many great food ideas and the honesty, support, and candor here is wonderful.
My name's Sarah and I'm a 20 year old full time student. I was diagnosed with IBS two years ago ( mostly C with A...horrible bloating and pain everyday since about I was about 5 years old). I am also gluten intolerant (waiting for blood tests to make it "official") and have been gluten free for six months. Symptoms, C, D, bloat, wind, rumbles, spasms, major fatigue, headaches, body aches, hypoglycemic symptoms, the works. I have been truly obsessed with figuring out how to manage this, it puts so much of my life on hold - Everyday. And as so many of you know, doctors never listen!!
I am also struggling with a bit of obsessive calorie counting...And so I want to find some balance..
Anyhow here's my day

B- Cream of Brown Rice, FF Soymilk, diluted cran juice w/acacia (and probiotics)
L- Rice Noodles, Veg. Broth, egg white and peas (homemade raman)
S- Vegan Burger with sprouts, Homemade tofu pumpkin "pie"
D- small apple, Spaghetti squash w/ homemade tomato/mushroom/green pepper sauce - sooo good! WAY too much! Then three gluten-free cookies whiel I was still stuffed.
This eat till I burst thing always sets me off with bloat and pain but I do it every evening. I've stopped eating at seven PM to put a clear cap on it. Is that a problem for anyone else - to feel hungrier the more you eat? If I don't eat for hours I start to feel weak and sick, but not at all hungry. Its like its all set up backwards!
Well - 1155 calories today. Thanks for reading

#226366 - 11/20/05 05:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Spaghetti squash and shredded/grated zucchini tend to be the low g.i. pasta subs. Alot of low carbers eat tuna salad with green beans versus bread or noodles/pasta. If you're craving pizza, to lower the g.i. index, use portabella mushrooms as the "crusts."

You need complex carbohydrates, and fruits and vegetables are complex carbohydrates. Maria had some great suggestions re: nuts/nutbutters. How are you with legumes/beans? Hummus is a great snack component. Ditto for blackbean dip.
Do you like babaganush/eggplant pate? Lentil and bean based soups?

The low g.i. fake potatoes are pureed cauliflower. I'm not sure how well you tolerate that. I cannot if I am unstable, like right now!!! To make low g.i. "rice," grate cauliflower and steam/season.

Perhaps you need to incorporate more fruit? Most fruit is highly low g.i. That might help with the sugar withdrawal headaches. I guess, in a low carb diet, veggies and fruits are substituted for "starchy" foods/processed foods.
It really is a habit change/lifestyle shift. Many are accustomed/habituated to the starchy carbs that are indeed so healing/positive for IBS. To lower the glycemic load, one might substitute asparagus, for example for potatoe or green beans for bread or mushrooms for rice...basically the starch is avoided. Fiber lowers g.i., so does fat (be careful here), and protein.

Teehee...good chocolate is really low g.i., for the record.

There are a zillion things you can do with eggwhites, too, even "mock tortillas." It's basically an eggwhite pancake.
Frittatas are divine. Soy is really low g.i. as well.

But, ultimately, I think you've got the principles right--it's just a matter of getting into the substitution habit and exploring a few recipe ideas.

Kate.

#226370 - 11/20/05 06:33 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Little bit better...

b-1/2c rice pudding w/ 1 tbsp protein powder
s-1/4c granola & 1/4 c soy yougart w/ powder
l-1/2c granola & 1/2 c soy yougart w/ powder
s-1/2 pumpkin waffe (?) w/ real maple syrup...yummy.
1/4 c soy yog. (to get citrucel down)
d-banana, 1 c veggie/pastas with hummus, 1/4 soy.

Better, a little too high yet and the tummy let me know it. But the 1/2 c seems to work really well.

Gym-20 mins walk, 10 mins bike, 5 mins eliptical. Weights & swimming.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#226372 - 11/20/05 06:34 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Love the pizza crust idea. Yummy!
Must continue to work on eliminating starches like pastas...keep things moving better.
Rice seems essential still as does quinoa.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#226382 - 11/20/05 07:38 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

weekends are weird. today's eats:

luna bar

bagel
egg white omelet w/ mushrooms

sweet potato

snackwell's devil food cookies

honey nut cheerios

weighed myself this morning - 146!! very exciting. also went clothes shopping. bought a skirt that's a ten, and in the mirrors (i don't have any full-length at home) i could see a difference. (i just wish i were losing fat evenly on my legs- the backs of my thighs are all slim and muscled, and the fronts... well, they're not. i mean, the muscle's there, but not alone.) anyway. feeling good. stomach's still iffy - gassy tonight - but it'll resolve itself eventually.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#226385 - 11/20/05 07:53 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

A lazy, grazing Sunday.

Luna Bar
Crispix

Soy Dream "ice cream" (It's a bottomless container of vanilla fudge frozen dessert!)

LF biscuits
almond milk

chamomile tea
Luna Bar

mashed potatoes w/ shiitake mushrooms & garlic
chicken soup
corn tortilla chips

A SAFE snack later this evening... Last night, after posting here, I had popcorn and 1/2 glass of Sierra Mist! Very gassy and crampy all day.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review