All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
REPORTING IN - 11/20/05
      #226292 - 11/19/05 10:36 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 11/20 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN - 11/20/05 new
      #226294 - 11/20/05 12:02 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey guys,

Here's how my day went:

1/2 banana with cereal and soy milk

3 bean salad

soy cheese pizza

a couple glasses of red wine...

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

--------------------
Julia

#226337 - 11/20/05 11:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, I'm goin to start posting in AGAIN! This diet for hypoglycaemia I;m on is difficult and I'm not doing it 100% yet so I think I need input.

B: Oatmeal with blueberries and rasperries.
L: Prawn and rocket sandwich.
S: Rooibos with soy milk. Kettle chips.
D: Carrot and parsnip soup with toasted croutons. Fishfingers (yeah, it was a weird meal, but we were tired and cold! ).

So, I did okay on my 3 slices of bread including the croutons. BUT I had Kettle Chips which is just NAUGHTY and I had parsnip in the soup which isn't allowed on this darn diet.

I'm not doing AT ALL well at cutting out the carbs I love, ie, potatoes, pasta, rice, parsnips.... And I seem to get MORE headaches if I try to cut them out. Yesterday I ended up with a migraine and had to eat some pasta (which helped alot) and go to bed.

Ruchie, Kate, anyone, am I doing something wrong??? Are the carby veg really sooo bad for my blood sugar levels?

Re: Linz new
      #226340 - 11/20/05 12:22 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I checked out The First Year: Fibromyalgia from the library and there are a couple of chapters about the hypoglycemia diet. Have you read this yet?

You should stock up on nut butters, since you're able to tolerate some fat in your diet, and nuts are allowed on the diet. The book also suggests to have egg salad (you could make this with egg whites only, right?), baked apples, fritatas available to snack on so you won't feel deprived. Kate has recently posted about microwaving apples - this would save you time and energy. The book also contains almost the same fauxtatoes recipe that's listed in the recipe index! There's a list of substitutions for specific cravings, for example, if you crave pasta have spaghetti squash w/ homemade tomato sauce or if you crave rice substitute chopped water chestnuts.

It's going to be quite a challenge to combine the IBS and hypoglycemia diets, but I'm sure you can do it! We're all here to support you!

Re: REPORTING IN - 11/20/05 ** and Introduction** new
      #226353 - 11/20/05 04:30 PM
arafel

Reged: 11/05/05
Loc: Amherst, Ma

Hi Everyone -
I've been a major lurker on here for a while now and as I over ate AGAIN tonight I figured I really need to start posting. Let me start out by saying I appreciate this site so much. It's really helping me feel less alone with all this crap (um.. ). I've found so many great food ideas and the honesty, support, and candor here is wonderful.
My name's Sarah and I'm a 20 year old full time student. I was diagnosed with IBS two years ago ( mostly C with A...horrible bloating and pain everyday since about I was about 5 years old). I am also gluten intolerant (waiting for blood tests to make it "official") and have been gluten free for six months. Symptoms, C, D, bloat, wind, rumbles, spasms, major fatigue, headaches, body aches, hypoglycemic symptoms, the works. I have been truly obsessed with figuring out how to manage this, it puts so much of my life on hold - Everyday. And as so many of you know, doctors never listen!!
I am also struggling with a bit of obsessive calorie counting...And so I want to find some balance..
Anyhow here's my day

B- Cream of Brown Rice, FF Soymilk, diluted cran juice w/acacia (and probiotics)
L- Rice Noodles, Veg. Broth, egg white and peas (homemade raman)
S- Vegan Burger with sprouts, Homemade tofu pumpkin "pie"
D- small apple, Spaghetti squash w/ homemade tomato/mushroom/green pepper sauce - sooo good! WAY too much! Then three gluten-free cookies whiel I was still stuffed.
This eat till I burst thing always sets me off with bloat and pain but I do it every evening. I've stopped eating at seven PM to put a clear cap on it. Is that a problem for anyone else - to feel hungrier the more you eat? If I don't eat for hours I start to feel weak and sick, but not at all hungry. Its like its all set up backwards!
Well - 1155 calories today. Thanks for reading

#226366 - 11/20/05 05:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Spaghetti squash and shredded/grated zucchini tend to be the low g.i. pasta subs. Alot of low carbers eat tuna salad with green beans versus bread or noodles/pasta. If you're craving pizza, to lower the g.i. index, use portabella mushrooms as the "crusts."

You need complex carbohydrates, and fruits and vegetables are complex carbohydrates. Maria had some great suggestions re: nuts/nutbutters. How are you with legumes/beans? Hummus is a great snack component. Ditto for blackbean dip.
Do you like babaganush/eggplant pate? Lentil and bean based soups?

The low g.i. fake potatoes are pureed cauliflower. I'm not sure how well you tolerate that. I cannot if I am unstable, like right now!!! To make low g.i. "rice," grate cauliflower and steam/season.

Perhaps you need to incorporate more fruit? Most fruit is highly low g.i. That might help with the sugar withdrawal headaches. I guess, in a low carb diet, veggies and fruits are substituted for "starchy" foods/processed foods.
It really is a habit change/lifestyle shift. Many are accustomed/habituated to the starchy carbs that are indeed so healing/positive for IBS. To lower the glycemic load, one might substitute asparagus, for example for potatoe or green beans for bread or mushrooms for rice...basically the starch is avoided. Fiber lowers g.i., so does fat (be careful here), and protein.

Teehee...good chocolate is really low g.i., for the record.

There are a zillion things you can do with eggwhites, too, even "mock tortillas." It's basically an eggwhite pancake.
Frittatas are divine. Soy is really low g.i. as well.

But, ultimately, I think you've got the principles right--it's just a matter of getting into the substitution habit and exploring a few recipe ideas.

Kate.

#226370 - 11/20/05 06:33 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Little bit better...

b-1/2c rice pudding w/ 1 tbsp protein powder
s-1/4c granola & 1/4 c soy yougart w/ powder
l-1/2c granola & 1/2 c soy yougart w/ powder
s-1/2 pumpkin waffe (?) w/ real maple syrup...yummy.
1/4 c soy yog. (to get citrucel down)
d-banana, 1 c veggie/pastas with hummus, 1/4 soy.

Better, a little too high yet and the tummy let me know it. But the 1/2 c seems to work really well.

Gym-20 mins walk, 10 mins bike, 5 mins eliptical. Weights & swimming.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#226372 - 11/20/05 06:34 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Love the pizza crust idea. Yummy!
Must continue to work on eliminating starches like pastas...keep things moving better.
Rice seems essential still as does quinoa.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#226382 - 11/20/05 07:38 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

weekends are weird. today's eats:

luna bar

bagel
egg white omelet w/ mushrooms

sweet potato

snackwell's devil food cookies

honey nut cheerios

weighed myself this morning - 146!! very exciting. also went clothes shopping. bought a skirt that's a ten, and in the mirrors (i don't have any full-length at home) i could see a difference. (i just wish i were losing fat evenly on my legs- the backs of my thighs are all slim and muscled, and the fronts... well, they're not. i mean, the muscle's there, but not alone.) anyway. feeling good. stomach's still iffy - gassy tonight - but it'll resolve itself eventually.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#226385 - 11/20/05 07:53 PM
lalala

A lazy, grazing Sunday.

Luna Bar
Crispix

Soy Dream "ice cream" (It's a bottomless container of vanilla fudge frozen dessert!)

LF biscuits
almond milk

chamomile tea
Luna Bar

mashed potatoes w/ shiitake mushrooms & garlic
chicken soup
corn tortilla chips

A SAFE snack later this evening... Last night, after posting here, I had popcorn and 1/2 glass of Sierra Mist! Very gassy and crampy all day.

#226390 - 11/20/05 08:48 PM
Wind

Crispix

Applesauce (Homemade, Fuji)

Green Beans
Pickles

Red potatoes
Spinach/red onion/herbs ("Green Potatoes," I think, is my favourite supper)

Fortune Cookies (these inserts suck big time! life goal revised: to become a fortune cookie writer. a new age lao tsu...confuscious ressurected...at least they were yummy and safe!)

Not feeling well. I find myself increasingly "under seige" by D.

Kate.

Re: new
      #226391 - 11/20/05 08:56 PM
lalala

Quote:

Crispix What do you think of the cereal? From now on, I'm sticking to Crispix when I want something crunchy. Forget the popcorn!

Green Beans
Pickles

Red potatoes

Fortune Cookies (these inserts suck big time! life goal revised: to become a fortune cookie writer. a new age lao tsu...confuscious ressurected...at least they were yummy and safe!) You could do IBS-related fortunes. Or not. But seriously - with your wit and unique writing voice - you'd be great at it!

Not feeling well. I find myself increasingly "under seige" by D. That's not good. I don't want you to feel bad. Do you have any idea what may be causing it?

Kate.

#226397 - 11/20/05 10:56 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I feel so bloated and sick today, but managed to eat a decent amount anyway:

cereal with banana and soy milk

veggie burger on spelt with kombucha tea

quinoa with butternut squash soup and salad

soy yogurt and a glass of white wine

I've decided I really need to cut out the alcohol...it isn't healthy for so many other reasons, and it can't be helping my symptoms.

Have a wonderful night!

--------------------
Julia

#226400 - 11/21/05 03:49 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

He he!!!

It's a standard joke in my family that when I came home for xmas last year I ate 'three bean salad' - literally 3 green beans, any more made me ill!!

3 bean salad always gives me a chuckle now. Oh those were the days!

#226406 - 11/21/05 05:02 AM
Wind

Quote:

Quote:

Crispix What do you think of the cereal? From now on, I'm sticking to Crispix when I want something crunchy. Forget the popcorn! I really like Crispix. I like that it doesn't have major sugar, either. I have the same problem with popcorn. Maybe popcorn rice cakes? Puffed corn cereal? Organic corn flakes? I like corn too, but it sure doesn't like me! Rice Crispies is another cereal I like.

Green Beans
Pickles

Red potatoes

Fortune Cookies (these inserts suck big time! life goal revised: to become a fortune cookie writer. a new age lao tsu...confuscious ressurected...at least they were yummy and safe!) You could do IBS-related fortunes. Or not. But seriously - with your wit and unique writing voice - you'd be great at it!

Not feeling well. I find myself increasingly "under seige" by D. That's not good. I don't want you to feel bad. Do you have any idea what may be causing it? I'm not sure, exactly. Stress, poor sleep, depression, malaise in general. Also, my body seems to not want so much fiber and I'm working on reducing. Nexium also probably has something to do with it--it tends to make me D.
I'm eating Immodium and Pepto and Pepcid and Gas-X like candy. I also drink alot of water/herbal tea and have caffeine binges. The caffeine will do it, that's for sure.
But even without the caffeine, I am still getting the D--it's a way for the body to expell the excess fluid and anything else. I'm not doing a single thing and obviously my body doesn't want the fiber and neither do I. Honestly, it just wants rest. I feel better having started to incorporate more starchy carbs. It's a relief and gives my guts something to cling to.

I had a weird "attack" yesterday where I got all hot and sweaty and then felt so faint and nauseated just before supper and basically just sat down and ate most of my potatoe before touching the spinach and threw out the zucchini I cooked. After about 3 bites of potatoe I immediately felt nearly restored. I really neither want nor need more fiber--but have a complusive fruit/veg. habit. It's just too hard to extract the amount of energy/calories I need, at the moment, from fruit/veg. alone when I'm having D attacks. And, I think my stomach has shrunk or something.
Getting barely enough is a huge challenge, still and I'm starting to lose motivation and just going through the motions. Sometimes, the thought of eating even gives me D, so I'm radically instituting some serious changes, as you can see by my posts. I really hate these pulses and waves of spasms/D. I hope the worst of the tropical storm is over. Now, I just need continued courage to institute more IBS-friendly changes. Hopefully I can get out to buy a rice cooker sometime this week. I gave up driving due to anxiety.

One more note: Your garlic soup rocks.

Kate.

#226413 - 11/21/05 06:15 AM
CathUK

Rice cookers are a godsend! Sorry about the veggies. When I'm having a rough patch, I just can't tolerate them. I got around it by adding loads of tasty fresh herbs like coriander and mint into my rice.

Good luck on finding a diet that suits you and I hope you manage to get your calories intake up, as constant d makes you so energyless.

If you can eat some baked goods, ginger cake with stem ginger in it is very good to settle an upset stomach. I made it with buckwheat and gluten free flour and it was always delicious.

Have you tried cycling instead of driving - it's great for stress relief and battling the IBS. When my anxiety got too much when I was cycling I stopped and told my body to either faint or throw up. Of course it did neither and i was able to carry on.

Take care,

Catherine

Re:Catherine new
      #226436 - 11/21/05 08:11 AM
Wind

Teehee. I'm a Catherine, too--but with a K!!!

Thanks for the tips. I can only tolerate certain veggies when in a rough spell. Can you believe that I get chastized, still, at 31 years of age for what I eat or do not eat? How pathetic. If I don't eat veggies, I catch "hell" from my dad/mother. Bread is challenging as my teeth are terrible and I cannot chew with dignity any kind of bread that I might eat. In general, baked sweet things just don't appeal and being without transport, motivation to bake, and "tools" I don't bother--don't especially desire it. I'll stick to foods that I can chew to some degree.

I have asthma and awful electrolytes (sodium/chloride levels) and am instructed not to exercise. If I'm not hungry, I don't bother eating. If I do, it's disasterous and ends up regurgitated/vomited/refluxed. Honestly, a bowl of cereal, sometimes will keep me FULL for 5-6 hours. Weird. But as I don't do anything, I suppose it makes sense. Do you ever get in moods where you just hate eating?
I hate feeling stuffed and getting so full on less food/calories each day is kind of freaky.

Kate/Katherine.

Re:Catherine new
      #226472 - 11/21/05 10:01 AM
CathUK

Yep - when I was really ill I hated eating and had to force feed myself bananas. The good new isnow that I am loads better I LOVE food and am really getting into cooking again. It does get better, honest!

One thing I have learnt from the past two years is to ignore parents. My mum always says that everything is in my head - which really screwed me up as a teenager (I have quite a few problems with one of my glands which means that I had loads of wierd symptoms, which I was lead to believe 'did not exist'. Of course when I started the right medication they were gone!!

Plus till I was about 21 I didn't feel any hunger or thirst (part of the medical condition), which again was cured by the right meds. Basically i had to endure years of my mother telling me I had an eating disorder. Grrrrr.

They mean well, but can do more harm than good.

Can you do gentle walking or swimming. How do you get your electrolytes up? I guess if you don't do much then you don't need as many calories - do you get bored not being active? I started sewing like a maniac when I was housebound/in insomnia hell because I needed something that wasn't too energetic to do.

Rice noodles in that 'garlic' soup you eat might be a way to go - they are very soft and take on the taste of the soup.

Isn't life complicated!

Catherine

Important note: This diet I am on now is NOT for IBS! - nt new
      #226593 - 11/22/05 02:57 AM
Linz

Thanks Kate and Maria! new
      #226594 - 11/22/05 03:03 AM
Linz

Unfotunately I haven't been able to find spaghetti squash in the shops here. I can get Butternut Squash and some winter squashes, but chopping and peeling those is soooo HARD for me so they have to wait for either a very good day or when Si's got plenty of time and enthusiasm!

Aaah, I can't tolerate green beans or cauliflower. "Fibromyalgia: The First Year" is where I got the diet from. They say I shouldn't have beans either...not helful.

I'm trying to eat more eggs but I'm not keen on having them alot. I AM eating more pb..it's my only emergency snack food atm! And I'm eating as much fruit as possible but I'm limited to 1 piece (or 100g berries) every hours.

Any ideas for something simple would be greatly appreciated! I am one tired bunny these days and our kitchen's being redone atm.

Re: Linz, I'm reading the same book... new
      #226807 - 11/22/05 08:31 PM
lalala

I'm a bit confused about legumes, since on one page it says you can't have black beans, refried beans, or garbanzo beans, but then on another page it okays peanuts and soybeans. I guess it has to do with where they are on the gylcemic index?

Anyway, I was thinking that lentils would be a good food high in protein, calcium, and iron that would be easy for you to make. You could puree lentil soup and have it with a piece of bread (one of your three for the day) or corn tortillas to make it IBS-safer. I don't know if you have Amy's canned soups and vegetables in the UK, but that brand is organic and MSG free.

Are you able to get Luna Bars where you are? I find them to be a good source of fiber and protein, but perhaps they're too high in sugar for you.

There are lots of really good beet and mushroom recipes you could try. You could use canned beets - Kate has posted some easy pureed beet recipes. Also, I'm really finding a lot of great and easy uses for pumpkin puree in the recipe index: smoothies (I sort of make it up as I go along), pumpkin-soy cream cheese spread, pumpkin soup.

I really like the pre-packaged frozen chicken breast tenderloins that are available in most grocery stores. I'll put about two servings in an 8 x 8 baking dish, add 1-2 cups of FF vegetable or chicken broth, two sliced garlic cloves, and then bake according to directions (about 30-40 minutes). About half-way through the cooking time, I'll turn the tenderloins over. At this time, I'll also start steaming a combo of frozen veggies, like chopped broccoli and crinkle cut carrots. The broth makes a nice sauce for the veggies (or gravy for mashed potatoes, which I know you can't eat). The prep's easy, so I usually make this when I know I need to eat a well-balanced meal but am too tired to make anything fancy.

Well, I hope this helps. How are you doing today? How long have you been the hypoglycemic diet?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review