All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fitness therapist anywhere?
      #224695 - 11/13/05 08:08 PM
ocafe

Reged: 09/06/03
Loc: Miami, Florida

IBS-D & I have no self-control. My son had to go to the emergency room tonight (he's okay!), but because I had coffee & pizza today my stomach was a mess & I was terrified I wouldn't make it to the hospital. Thank God I did but what am I doing? Not to mention the doctor said I need to lose weight because I have signs of potential diabetes (my parents have it). Yet I have not scared myself into control. I am 5'3" and weight 220. Horrible, depressed, what else can I say? Sorry, just venting. I come here every so often. I guess I know if anyone might understand, it would be one of you. IBS or rather lack of self control is taking my hapiness. How do I gain self-control, self-respect, self-worth? How sad am I? Maybe I really do need a therapist. Again, sorry, venting.

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!
18 more to reach my short term goal!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi there new
      #224701 - 11/13/05 08:53 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi, and welcome to the boards!!

First of all, a good first step is just to take a deep breath. The problems that you are facing are big ones.. Nobody can tell you that it's not a long road, because it is, but they are problems that you CAN face and you CAN overcome. Try and keep that in mind when you feel overwhelmed, there are so many things that we can't control but you can control this. And we will try to help you along the way.
Self-control is tricky, and probably the thing that gets in the way of most people trying to lose weight. I think that self-control is something you have to address day-to-day. Don't try and tell yourself that you are NEVER going to have pizza if that seems too big. Tell yourself that TODAY you aren't going to have pizza. And tell yourself that every day. That's what I have to do with chocolate. If I think, "NO CHOCOLATE!!" than I think, "Man, that sucks.." and I eat it anyway. If I think, "No chocolate right now, no chocolate today" then I can stop myself. And the longer I go without it, the less I want it.
I dunno if that will work for you, but I thought I'd share what helps me.

As far as IBS problems and self control (rather than weight loss and self control) I feel a whole other way about it.. I personally think that everyone has to get to a breaking point, 'cause everybody cheats and does what they shouldn't do.. until there is one too many attacks, or one too many events missed because of an attack, or SOMETHING happens and it's just enough.
That time comes when YOU decide it's come. You know that pizza and coffee is making you sick, and you are the one who will decide when enough is enough. And when that comes, you can tell yourself that you don't WANT (and you certainly don't NEED) coffee and pizza, because you don't want attacks.
One way to bring all this into the front of your mind is to keep a food diary. Write down every single thing you eat. Write down your symptoms. Even write down how you are feeling, if it helps you get out some of the stress emotions that you make you want to eat.
Consider alternative ways of dealing with stress as well -- yoga is an excellent way to relieve stress AND is a good way to get gently into exercise. Meditation, hypnotherapy.. great ways to relax.
Exercise is going to be a very important part of getting physically and mentally healthy. It is another long road, but start out small.. one day at a time, just like for everything else!

Everything takes patience and time, and support too. If you feel like a therapist would help you, then by all means! Having someone to talk to is such a great way to take heavy loads of your chest.

Another thing that might be inspiring to you if you haven't already read it is Shell's story about her weight loss, all while following a healthy IBS Diet. Her story is posted on a link at the top of this board.

If you have any questions related to diet specifically, or dealing with IBS, or stress or whatever than the IBS Diet board gets a lot more traffic than this one does and you'll get more responses. Here is mostly just for Fitness, so ask any questions here related to that.

If there is anything you need, do a quick board search and then feel free to ask and someone should try and help you out. My inbox is always open as well, my eMail is in my profile.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing,

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1150

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review