All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new diagnosis/ question on symptoms
      #224427 - 11/11/05 05:21 PM
azrhonda

Reged: 11/11/05
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

I was recently diagnosed by my internist with IBS. He did some testing but I did basically feel like he used this DX because nothing else fit. Other than the horrible pain and cramping, I also experience extreme fatigue, feel very week, needing to sleep sometimes 12-14 hours/day once the symptoms come on. I'm otherwise a very healthy person. I've never read this symptom as being associated with IBS. If anyone else can share their experience with me. I plan to start the diet recommendations on this site immediately, but this exhaustion/weakness symptom is really bugging me...just need to know if others have also experienced it with their IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new diagnosis/ question on symptoms new
      #224450 - 11/11/05 08:15 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Fatigue is actually one of the more common non-GI symptoms of IBS. According to the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders "many IBS patients also report non-gastrointestinal symptoms such as fatigue, muscle pain, sleep disturbances, and sexual dysfunction." Like you, I also have been dealing with fatigue for about 10 years now, almost as long as I've had IBS. I get really tired especially after an attack and there will be days I'll sleep 12-14 hours as well! It's very frustrating! My doctor also says I'm really healthy, but she has no explanation for the fatigue. My attacks can be bad and drain me of energy. In the past, due to my fear of having a D attack or pain, I wouldn't eat enough which only added to the problem. Now, I try to keep eating - safely- and maintain a healthy weight.

What kinds of testing did your dr do?

It's slow here on the weekends, but you might get more responses if you re-post this on the IBS Diet board.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (11/11/05 08:32 PM)

#224478 - 11/12/05 06:50 AM
azrhonda

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Thank you, thank you...I got tears in my eyes while reading your response. Guess I needed some sort of validation that I'm not just being lazy, depressed, sloth-like. I'm typically pretty high energy. I was just diagnosed about 6 months ago...it was this lethargy and energy drain that finally got me to the doctor...I've had most other symptoms for over 20 years...but about a year ago symptoms became more chronic and started to include this energy drain/sleeping thing that can last 2 days after an IBS episode. I think maybe I've found the right place to learn about and begin to effectively treat this and for some reason I needed this validated before I was convinced that IBS is really my problem.

#224479 - 11/12/05 07:36 AM
lalala

No, no, no it's not your fault! I used to be a really active person, social, busy with all sorts of activities. I had a bad flare-up of IBS attacks and symptoms last year and since then, there are days I can barely make it to work - and I'm only working part-time! This is the first time in my life that I'm not volunteering, traveling, working full-time, working on my own project. This last year has been the lowest point for me, I think. When I get it I feel it everywhere, the fatigue hurts my body without hurting. Does that make sense to you?

On days of an attack, I just can't do anything except rest. But then the next I'm still deciding how to manage what little energy I have and on easy things such as whether to do the laundry or loading the dishwasher.

The postitive news is that I'm doing much better now - eating right and getting as much erxercise as you can manage does help. My attacks are rare now and my fatigue is predictable - I'm currently only working three days a week, but when I come home that third day I am WIPED OUT! I go to sleep at 8 or 9 and don't wake up until 10 the next morning. Then I'll eat breakfast, but fall back to sleep for another four hours! This was happening a lot more often when my IBS was out of control, but now that it's only that one day a week, I feel positive that I'm getting better. I still see my doctor regularly though and get check ups to make nothing else, nothing systemic is wrong.

After a while, once you get your IBS and symptoms under contol, you should start feeling better. You'll find the boards to be a great place for support and for finding out you're not alone and NOT crazy.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (11/12/05 07:57 AM)

#226191 - 11/19/05 08:31 AM
rumblytummy

Loc: vancouver island BC Canada

I just stated the diet, but for years been going to the doctor complaining of fatige. I have been severely constipated all my life but didn't get diagnosed with IBS untill I started to get diarea too. all this time I couldn't figure out why I was so exasted my doctor told me that fatige wasn't one of the symtoms for IBS. So Im very greatful to hear that it is, and if I can get the IBS under contoll mabey It'll get better. does any one else have suggestions for beating the fatige.

Re: fatigue new
      #226194 - 11/19/05 08:55 AM
lalala

I don't feel I have beaten the fatigue, but I do know that keeping a consistent eating and sleeping schedule have helped. Also, it's important to keep eating even when you're having an attack. It doesn't have to be large amounts of food, as a D I'll usually have food from the BTC food list with protein (chicken soup or broth is the easiest on my system). I think one of my worst habits was just not eating when I had an attack - this would leave me terribly weak and the fatigue seemed to set in stronger. I have noticed the longer I'm stable the more energy I have. I'm sorry you're dealing with this symptom as well. You've probably been checked for anemia already? It's good to rule out other things that may be making you tired. Take care!

Re: fatigue new
      #226336 - 11/20/05 11:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fatigue is NOT a classic IBS symptom, although obviously attacks are very tiring and stressful! So make sure you get all your bloodwork done to check up on this - thyroid function, anaemia, other mineral deficiencies, etc.

And are you having joint pain as well? I used to think my fatigue and aches were part of the IBS but actually they were Fibro! I'd never heard of it till Heather suggested it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review