All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
REPORTING IN - 10/21/05
      #220642 - 10/21/05 07:19 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 10/21 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN - 10/21/05 new
      #220706 - 10/21/05 06:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I feel awful. My mother has a lung infection and well...I suspect that I'm catching it. Also, I've been having attacks all day. Yes, I know it's bizarre to insert grins but I sort of suspect that all the carno crud is being explelled. So, maybe it's a good thing? I can hardly wait to lose the "carno" smell. NOT THAT I'M insulting meat eaters...it's just, well, there is a distinct difference in 'odour' shall I say? It's just called pheronomes.

If this D keeps up, though, I will go on the BTC diet. Yup, I know...rice. For now, though...I'm just doing the Immodium thing and well trying not to dwell on it/think about it too much.

What did I do today? Well...domestic stuff, a short stroll, and BAKE!!! I felt like infusing the house with nice smells. I baked Heather's "Brown Sugar Banana Bread." Lol!
It was so much fun. And guess what? KATE had one bite about the size of her thumbnail, which actually is rather clawlike at the moment. VICTORY? PROGRESS? Well...it's a great bread.

So, here's the food list du jour:

***still not measuring anything***

--Rice Dream in chai (an illegal quantity of Chai)
--tons of tea. really hitting the "Tummy Mint" by Celestial Seasonings.

--applesauce, .5 c. (x4)

--spinach and lots of cremini mushrooms, red onion/garlic
--"faux-taters" (cauliflower) & brussels sprouts
--green/yellow beans

--thumbnail of banana bread
--Cheerios & rice milk (I dumped the rice milk, though)

Reflection re: Cheerios. Now I know why so many of you kind of lived on them, i.e. had them for supper, too! I might have to add grains again. I'm not sure. I'll just, uh, go with the flow?

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (10/21/05 08:05 PM)

Grains! lol... new
      #220731 - 10/22/05 07:44 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sorry to hear about the possible lung infection and attacks... the latter? That's where I'm at too right now My own fault completely for really letting my diet/water intake/exercise sliiiiiiiide in the last few weeks. Sigh. Making a real effort to get back into it though. Next week, anyway.

Yay for grains! Heh, you're moving through the whole spectrum of foods lately, eh? First meats, now grains... I think there was a candy moment somewhere too, wasn't there I think it's great. I love love love Heather's banana bread. I make it as muffins all the time for a snack to take to school. And Cheerios! Hehe, yeah as you know I love those too The only cold cereal I really like, since corn hasn't been friendly to me lately (bye bye corn bran and crispix) and since I've just found rice krispies to be way too sugar-coated - bleh. Seriously though, cold cereal with soy/rice milk (and chopped bananas ) is just such an EASY, immediate meal that takes no time at all in the kitchen... which is probably why I end up eating it rather often

Re: Grains! lol... new
      #220736 - 10/22/05 08:09 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i've been feeling the tummy pain, too - been doing a weird thing the last few days where i eat *really* healthily, lots of good veggies and protein, and then add to that really unhealthy things... like peanut butter m&ms. i'm learning that when a few days of sketchy eating come back to bite me, it'll be first thing in a morning... this morning. boo. no more cheating like that. i keep doing this. i think i'm gonna come back to reporting, too - no more counting, but just keeping myself accountable.

hope you feel better soon, kate.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: Cheerios-pusher new
      #220737 - 10/22/05 08:11 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You know, I think Cheerios are a gift from God. However, I had to go cold turkey on that particularly cereal because I was using it as a meal replacement at EVERY meal. They're so good; I was craving them all the time. I was too tired to make "real" food and I ended going way overboard with the Cheerios, which led to more attacks (TMI - loose stools with a gel-like consistency ). The fatigue must have been from the lack of nutrients and calories; I should have just had them for breakfast and then as a treat, like a normal person, but I was eating 4-6 bowls a day! I'm giving myself some time away from them...as I'm a recovering Cheerio-holic. lol! So, my point here is, don't go with my flow.

You BAKED! Yum! Those quick breads are good for breakfast, with some tea or coffee-replacement. Ooh, did you have some with your chai? I like dipping bread in hot drinks. How about you?

Take care of your lungs! I've read that garlic and shiitake mushrooms are good immune enhancers. Have you ever tried garlic broth? Here's a quickie recipe I throw together for garlic soup (I usually add mushrooms and carrots to mine - serves 1):

1 cup vegetable stock
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
shiitake mushrooms, sliced (or your favorite)
carrots, frozen, crinkle cut (or baby carrots)
broccoli, frozen, chopped (optional)
soy sauce/tamari

1. To the vegetable stock add bay leaf, garlic.

2. Bring to a boil, add frozen cut carrots or fresh baby carrots, mushrooms, and reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add soy sauce/tamari to taste.

I usually eat it with a bowl of sticky rice or brown rice. But I'm sure you could skip the rice and add more herbs or other vegetables.

I hope you feel better this weekend. I hope what I wrote makes sense. Stayed up late, woke up way too early, need to get ready for work, but I feel woozy.

Re: REPORTING IN - 10/21/05 new
      #220738 - 10/22/05 08:18 AM
lalala

Luna Bar

Crispix
toast (2)

oatmeal
strawberry soy yogurt smoothie

1/2 PB sandwich

Luna Bar

grilled chicken w/ small amount of veggies, UFO side

Crispix

~A sunny fall day and people turn CRAZY! It took me 1.5 hours to get home, double my commute time. Ah well. I used this time to fine tune my vocal skills (heh) and contemplate the best way to take over the litarary world. When I got home, I birthday shopped. My favorite people are celebrating birthdays this month, so I don't mind spending the extra time and dough on their gifts. AnywayZ, I didn't eat dinner until 7:30 or 8, which is late for me.

#220748 - 10/22/05 11:21 AM
Wind

I think I have a new addiction! Yes, I agree re: Cheerios--they are like "manna." I thought I'd give them a shot and well...holy wow! I totally completely UNDERSTAND why you were eating 6 bowls of them/day. I had the same problem in University--really evil IBS-D and well, I was living on Froot Loops and Cap'n Crunch, carrots and applesauce.

I strongly suspect that if we opened a cafe for IBS-D'ers, Cheerios as a dinner entree would be a bestseller. Hmmm...I think it would win as an appetizer and dessert, too!

Actually, I hate cooking and I'm really lazy. I love things that sort of prep. themselves.

Your soup recipe sounds wicked--perfect with some sticky rice/jasmine rice, or even a potatoe and a little more broccoli for dessert! I will give it a shot. I'm out of carrots, but that shall be remedied, tomorrow. Actually, I think it would be really good with carrot strips. Yes, broccoli totally agrees with me. Actually, asparagus would be really good in there instead of broccoli.

Re: the banana bread. Actually, I only had a bite the size of my thumbnail...maybe eighteen crumbs? Seriously. That's how "phobic" I am. I'll work up to a piece the size of a finger one of these days, soon. I totally agree that a slice of something homemade is perfectly partnered with a hot mug of something steaming...teecino or a roasted chicory beverage, with fresh nutmeg, or an aromatic tea. You've got to try Celestial Seasonings "Tropic of Strawberry!" Even better with a fabulous conversation/company! It was fun reliving my "Easy Bake Oven" moment and the smell...mmmm...
I agree re: dunking in safe coffee-type beverages/chai.

Thanks for the healing soup recipe--I love it's quick simplicity.

Take care of you.
Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Grains! lol... new
      #220757 - 10/22/05 02:30 PM
Wind

Indeed, life's starting to turn into a bowl of applesauce, so why not make it a bowl of Cheerios, too?! You are positively right--it's a complete meal. Good old fashioned beta-glucan and silica which are BONE FRIENDLY and well with osteopenia that's a huge concern. I'll eat them when the mood strikes.

That sucks re: your nasty spell, Laurel. Are you in exams?
Take care of you!!! Yes, corn anything is evil on IBS-D. It adds "fuel to the fire."

Meat seems to make my IBS-worse. No more meat. Honestly, in review, it makes me feel beyond bilious. I tried it, and well...it's just so not me. It hurts me. Besides, my hair started growing like a weed without it. I still like the egg whites, though...lol! leavening agents and emulsifiers.
Certain others tried to brainwash me into this high protein quasi-Atkins thing and well...yuck, ick and conscience conundrums and apparently it messes up blood calcium. No more being an eater of the dead--unless I get in a really morbid mood. Besides, it hurts to see distinct chunks/pieces in the toilet. And the smell...p.u. (k? e?)
Not to mention the fat factor which is a huge trigger. Is it fair to say, the "acidity or acidifying" factor on my system. ***OKAY, note I'M SAYING ME AND NOT RECOMMENDING OR ADVISING ANYTHING TO OTHER IBS'ERS. I'M NOT JUDGING EITHER. ***However...if I feel like a little fish I will have it. I got a B12 shot prescription--my levels got so low it was spooky; I have pernicious anemia and have an inability to absorb it from food--hmmm...meat allergy?--and feel much better now. I picked them up on Friday! So...what's the point in eating a food that is of useless value to me, as well? Plus, meat makes me anemic!

I guess, I wanted to say, thanks for the support. I'm trying to listen to body's guidance and well...I felt like a bowl of Cheerios and baking something aromatic to share with others and well...actually have a few crumbs of, a slice the size of my fingernail. HUGE progress for me.

I'm still not calorie counting and I'm starting to get used to this eat when I'm hungry thing and WHAT I'm hungry for and well...sorry, but I kind of truly madly deeply like HEALTHY wholesome things. Curse me!

But, yes, uh...Candy. Lol! And grains! What next?

Kate.

Re: jaime, accountability new
      #220759 - 10/22/05 02:45 PM
Wind

I miss your COMMENTS, your input! You are so insightful.

I guess, I'm following your "challenge" to give up "counting" number-wise and focus on FEELING GOOD and being in tune with my body.

I'm not sure how I feel about grains being off them for so long. My IBS-D bowels really like them, though. But they also like veggies safely prepared. I guess different times of day call for different vibrations of nutrition.

Be kind to yourself. Be human, too. I guess we crave different things for different reasons but we have to also keep in mind the effect they have on our bods and minds. I guess there's a difference between bod food and soul food?

I agree, though...counting calories is really antagonizing to some people. Like us? At least at this time.

One quick note/thought re: pb & m&m's. Are you getting enough tryptophan? lecithin? I know that pb and m&m's--chocolate--are sources of tryptophan, an amino acid.
It calms your nerves!!!

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (10/22/05 03:14 PM)

#220784 - 10/22/05 09:09 PM
lalala

Your desciptions of food and drink are making me hungry again. Mmm. Asparagus, jasmine rice, potato--all variations I'll have to try with my little soup. If I were to puree the soup, with mushrooms and carrots, do you think it'd make a good gravy for mashed potatoes? I guess the only way to find out is to try it!

I haven't been able to find "Tropic of Strawberry" around here. I might have to special order it or go to another city. Sounds refreshing.

Talk to you later!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6954

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review