All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for the metabolism experts
      #218000 - 10/07/05 08:17 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm having a problem with losing weight, I'm losing it when I'm not trying and I really don't need to! I've lost almost 10 lbs in the past month....I lost a few pounds while in London, probably due all the walking while I was there. Problem is, I still haven't gained it back, and I've lost even more. I weighed myself yesterday morning, and I'm 101 lbs, and all of my jeans are way too loose. The only thing I can think of is my thyroid meds (I just started on some T3 meds for my hypothyroidism right after I got back form London) sped up my metabolism, but if the meds did, my appetite hasn't changed at all, in fact, I'm hungry less. I go back to the doctor in a week and a half, so I'm going to talk to her then, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas. I don't like forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry, because that usually sets off my IBS

Thanks, ladies!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Can you eat more frequently? new
      #218004 - 10/07/05 08:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Or eat more protein? Maybe a protein shake to put in a fruit smoothie would be good - something like that to just add extra cals to what you're already eating.

I KNOW you eat teeny tiny meals - if I ate what you did I'd probably be as thin as you.

bump! -nt- new
      #218445 - 10/09/05 09:08 AM
melitami

--------------------
Melissa

Re: Question for the metabolism experts new
      #218690 - 10/10/05 01:15 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I've got hypothyrodism too and problems with my production of adrenaline. I lost around 6 pounds when I first started the thyroid medication, but stabilised after a while.

I would be interested to hear about your problems with your adrenal gland. How well does your body cope with stress? I find that if I get really stressed then my body just collapses after a while as I am not producing any adrenalin. Plus it took them 2 years to diagnose it, so for that time I was walking around feeling light headed and sick.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble ...
Catherine

#218693 - 10/10/05 01:24 PM
melitami

Yeah, my body falls apart too, I get really bad D, nausea, and just generally feel icky. When my fibro doc did a whole slew of blood tests, she found out that I don't produce enough of any of the hormones my adrenal glands are supposed to produce, so I'm on some hormones right now to try to stabilize things. How are they treating yours? And don't worry about the ramble, I tend to do that too

--------------------
Melissa

#218817 - 10/11/05 01:33 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

My god that sounds very familiar!!!! My problem is that my pituitary gland didn't develop properly so the hormone that triggers the adrenal gland doesn't work. I am on hydrocortisone (steroids) for this and thyroxine for my underactive thyroid.

Isn't it silly - you always think you are the only one with these problems!!

Things are going OK at the moment, but combine an axiety/depression problem with this and you get trouble .... the number of times I have felt like I was going to die in the middle of a crowded shop or hot theatre!

I think the key for me is just don't get stressed, although thats not always possible.

GGrrr, stupid hormones!

#219019 - 10/11/05 08:34 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Melissa

Whether or not your metabolism is sped up or messed with or what not is almost impossible to say, but meds can have a lot of screwy effects with our weight (esp. thyroid meds I'd imagine).

At any rate, I know you said you don't like to force yourself to eat when you're not hungry, but really there's not a whole lot of other ways to make yourself want more food. I'm not saying stuff your face here, I'm just saying gradually try to eat a little more at each sitting, or maybe (this works better for me when I'm trying to eat more) try adding in an extra meal, i.e. eating every 2 hours instead of 3. Trust me, your body will slowly get used to eating more and will soon start to want more. No need to force it.

You could also try being gently more active - the more I exercise the more I want to eat - but you'd have to be careful that you're still pulling a surplus of calories - I mean, if you're burning off 200 cals a day in exercise and eating only 200 extra cals, then you're no better off. But if that exercise jump starts your appetite and you start eating 400 extra calories, then the exercise is a successful catalyst. Just be careful that you're not exercising too much and that you're feeding yourself enough to fulfill your body's needs!

HTH

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2603

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review