Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Some tips I got from a trainer, am a little confused
      #217062 - 10/02/05 05:45 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

I wrote to a local trainer to ask about rates and things, and told a bit of my story because I need someone who can also help monitor my nutrition.
Anyway, she told me that I need to start adding EFAs to my diet immediately. Udod or flax oils. I don't know anything about these, and from the Search I have done on the boards here it seems like people are using flax for IBS-C? I DEFINITELY can't take anything that might exacerbate my D, so if that is so, it is out of the question.
Does anyone know anything about this and why she would recommend that I take it?

Cheers all!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Some tips I got from a trainer, am a little confused new
      #217067 - 10/02/05 06:14 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i'm pretty sure that they're bad for D only inasmuch as fat is bad for D - we tend to be more sensitive to fat than C folks. one dose of flaxseed oil would have about 2g of fat, ish. taken with a low-fat meal, that probably wouldn't be too bad, unless you're really sensitive.

not sure why the trainer would've suggested efa's, though.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#217102 - 10/02/05 10:14 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Ohhhh yeah fitness buffs are big on their good fats. If you take a gander at any fitness/bodybuilding type board, they're all about the flax and fish oils.

However, yeah these could definitely exascerbate your D. Not necessarily, but tread carefully. I tried fish oils and it was just a disaster.

She probably told you this because, for your IBS, you don't get much fat in your diet. What I mean is that this advice was probably for weight loss, not to help your IBS. Healthy fats are definitely important health-wise but they're not the cure-all weight loss miracle some people make them out to be - that doesn't exist obviously.

Basically, if you're IBS is not going to handle it, you can still lose weight without them.

#217103 - 10/02/05 10:20 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

indeed, the whole 'efa' thing is trendy. naturopaths and trainers alike are pushing them.

they give me D, personally, for whatever that's worth. i'm really hyper-fat sensitive.

kate.

hmmm--- new
      #217382 - 10/04/05 11:53 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hi stephie--
flaxseeds/flaxseed meal/flaxseed oil have omega-3 essential fatty acids in them and are a good source of omega-3s mainly for vegans and vegetarians who dont eat fish. vegans dont eat any animal products so would have no other way to obtain those nutrients which are usually found in fish. flaxseed products are kind of a substitute. im not sure why a trainer would recommend them unless she thought that practicing losing weight would effect their levels in your body. i read online that its good to maintain a balanced level between omega-3s and omega-6s for clearer mentality which is probably good for exercising/losing weight so you dont develop any type of disorder, but still im not too sure. a little bit of the last part is some of my own opinion. im also not too sure about the triggers for D since im a C. usually im praying for a little D!! im actually a little nervous about taking/eating flaxseeds b/c of diverticulitis--im a little scared i may develop it and not even know [i think it starts for IBS/C?]

i hope that maybe that helps some. i havent been on the boards too much so im not too up-to-date on whatcha been up to but now you know some about flaxseed!! later

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2474

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review