All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and contraception for women
      #214900 - 09/21/05 03:18 AM
mini

Reged: 09/21/05

Hi, this is my first time on this board. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips about contraception. i've had IBS for about 3 years, and I've been on the pill for about 5 years, so I must say I was pretty scared by the news in the IBS newsletter yesterday that women who take the pill have a greater chance of getting crohns or colitis etc. I'd like to stop taking the pill, but it IS incredibly convenient, and if I don't I'll be in a lot of pain when I have a period. Does anyone have any experience with IBS getting better when they stopped taking the pill? Has anyone started using a different form of contraception? What works best with IBS? Thank you:-) Hope someone can help me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try searching in the Living Room -nt new
      #214910 - 09/21/05 04:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Re: IBS and contraception for women new
      #215653 - 09/25/05 07:02 AM
dogtired

Reged: 09/19/05

I'll have to let you know in a few months, however I know that does'nt help you now. But I have been on oral contraceptives for 25 years give and take a few. I have been diagnosed with IBS for 1 year now, but I believe I have had it for more like 7 years looking back. I went off oral contraceptives about 1 year ago and now recieve Depo Provera shots every 3 months for BC. I am going to have a tubal ligation in November and will be able to stop those shots. I do not have periods because of the shots, perhaps that is something you can look into.
I have a follow up with my MD for IBS this week, he has had me on Zelnorm for 4 months, it did not help me. I will have to have a colonoscopy now. Has anyone tried Zelnorm and have had success with it? It does not help the painful bloating I have.

So far I still have IBS, stopping the pill did not help, but if it is the hormones, I still take that in the form of the Depo shots.

#215731 - 09/25/05 01:41 PM
emily_m

Reged: 09/05/05

I have IBS-D and was on BC pills (different ones) for a long time. I always had horrible periods, PMS, and crazy mood swings/depression associated with them. My D was really bad during my period. My dr. switched me to the Depo shots, and they've been a life-saver! I was always worried with pills not being effective with the D since I might not have absorbed them. The shots aren't digested, so that's not an issue. My periods went away after a year, and I no longer have mood swings, cramps, or the crazy hormonally-based depression.

Good luck!

Pill vs Depo new
      #215735 - 09/25/05 02:12 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
I just wanted to pop my head in to say that it's not entirely true that the Depo shot form of BC won't bother your tummy like the shot because it isn't digested. From what I understand, it is also (moreso, maybe?) the actual hormones etc that can irritate your stomach, not whether or not they are taken orally.
That's just what I've been lead to believe anyhow!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#218908 - 10/11/05 10:06 AM
Yvonne2

Reged: 10/06/05

I tried Zelnorm and it was very unsuccessful experience. I even experienced hair loss which possibly might be a resort of Zelnorm. I cant say that it was the Zelorm for sure but when I meet with my gastro physician he'll be able to confirm. Right now I take the NovaRing which is FABULOUS for birth control. It also helps my periods to remain very regular. I feel you on the bloating VERY much SO!! If I were you try fennel tea from your local health food store and peppermint tea. What I also did was purchase some peppermint oil. Quite possilby relax for a Saturday or any day and just sip the tea. BEWARE of the peppermint oil in public. It is HIGHLY concetrated...This morning at work the entire breakroom smelled like peppermint.

Re: Pill vs Depo new
      #221961 - 10/29/05 04:37 AM
emily_m

Reged: 09/05/05

Just to clarify, my concern with Depo vs. pills was that with the D the hormones wouldn't be absorbed making the bc less effective. It wasn't an issue of tummy upset. The packaging always says if you have D you can reduce the effectiveness.

Re: Pill vs Depo new
      #221967 - 10/29/05 05:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well then go for the Depo versus the pill - as the Depo doesn't go into your GI tract, diarhoea can't reduce it's absorption. A patch or implant would also have this benefit and with lower levels of hormones than the Depo so maybe with less side effects...I guess you'd have to weigh the benefits of a higher probability of no periods against the higher levels of hormones.

Nuva Ring new
      #222274 - 10/31/05 10:47 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

Hi, I recently switched from the pill to the Nuva Ring. I have to say that so far, I love it. My pill was upsetting my stomach and I am IBS-D, so I wasn't sure if it was even as effective as it should be. Ask if you have any questions. Hope this helps. Kristi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3245

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review