All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fitness Program
      #214214 - 09/18/05 06:56 PM
Nikicole

Reged: 09/18/05
Loc: Tigard, OR

I was just wondering if anyone is following a specific fitness program and how it is working for you. I am starting Heather's Diet and I know I need to start exercising along with this change. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS awareness blog: http://lifeinabathroom.wordpress.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome new
      #214226 - 09/18/05 09:29 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there!
Since I hadn't seen your face around here before, I thought first of all I would just say welcome to the boards and I hope you find some great information here to help whatever your tummy troubles!

I am not one of the fitness experts around here, but I thought I would just pop my head in to ask a couple of questions..
1) Do you know what your fitness goals are? Is it for weight loss, or to help stomach motility or just to be healthier?
2) Are you already on any sort of fitness program?
3) Do you have anything that would restrict you from any kind of fitness activity?

I think answering those might help people guide you toward a good fitness plan for you.
If you are just looking to get healthier and incorporate exercise into your life, there are limitless things you can do! I think the easiest way to start out is probably walking.. taking a 30 minute walk a few times a week in the evenings or something is a non-stressful but effective way to get your body moving, especially if you aren't very active.
If you are more active, then maybe adding specific cardio, weights, yoga, etc. into a weekly program would be more effective.
Anything you do is great, so it's great that you are trying to incorporate it into your life!

Cheers!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Welcome new
      #214312 - 09/19/05 11:18 AM
Nikicole

Reged: 09/18/05
Loc: Tigard, OR

Hi, Steph! Thanks for the reply and welcome, you are too sweet!

To answer your questions, my goals are all of the above..I feel losing weight would help overall and I did not weigh this much before I started getting stomach problems.

And I eat junk food which has mostly to do with the weight gain and a large portion of why I now have problems. I am 5'5" and about 50 pounds above my goal weight.

I am not currently on a fitness routine of any kind and am fully able to be.

Just wondering if anyone has gone to a personal trainer or read any suggest books to help me get started.

Thanks so much! I love this site!

--------------------
IBS awareness blog: http://lifeinabathroom.wordpress.com

Re: Welcome new
      #214807 - 09/20/05 04:47 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Niki and welcome!

Re diet: I think you'll find that just cutting back on the junk food to start will give you really positive results, both weight and health wise.

Re fitness: Personally, I don't recommend getting a personal trainer, just because I've seen a LOT of really *bad* personal trainers out there who really don't know what they're talking about. Of course, there are also lots of really great ones too, but I think the best advice is to educate yourself on fitness stuff first so you know what you're talking about... and then if you still want a personal trainer, by all means go for it - then you knowingly find a really good one. Trainers can be really great for lots of people - especially with motivation, i.e. pushing you farther than you'd be able to push yourself, as well as giving you the opportunity to do more difficult or tricky exercises that you might not want to try by yourself... etc.... Unfortunately, a lot of them are really misinformed, especially on nutrition but also on exercising in lots of areas. Not ALL of them though

There are lots of great sites out there to help you get started in exercising. By the way, do you have access to a gym? (You don't need to be a member of a gym to exercise of course, but it changes the way you have to go about things a little.)

To get started, definitely have a look at ExRx.net - so much info on that site. Particularly, check out the Beginner's Page - that's all the info you could ask for there, and absolutely no one trying to sell you anything or promote some fad program or anything (which can be a real problem when wading through info on fitness ). That site has great info on both cardio and weight training, which reminds me....

I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone, especially women, WEIGHT TRAINING. It will fast track any weight loss and make you so much healthier. The BEST women's weight training site on the web is http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html - just check it out. You'll love it.

Anyway, hope that's helpful to you! Let me know if you have any other specific questions or anything.

Re: Fitness Program new
      #214808 - 09/20/05 04:50 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome Nikcole.... and thank your Steph & Laurel for replying... great posts both of you!! Thanks so much for helping others!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1807

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review