All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How to increase abdominal muscle strength?
      #212578 - 09/12/05 08:14 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hi y'all. I was trying to do a yoga video that I checked out from the library and I now realize I have no abdominal strength at all. I couldn't even do the easiest move of rolling back to a horizontal position without using my hands to hold on to my knees. I was suppose to use only the abdominals.

There were various moves where I was suppose to hold a postion with my head up and legs out. I couldn't lift my body off the floor! Just strained my neck up...nothing else went up.

Is there anyway to increase abdominal strength when I can't even do the easiest ab exercise to get off the floor? I have like nothing. Can't even get close to doing a sit-up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to increase abdominal muscle strength? new
      #212861 - 09/12/05 10:17 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

As it turns out, sit ups use a lot more muscles in your hips than in your abs. The best way to increase your core strength Beth is to simply exercise your abs and lower back. So, crunches are good - just go as far up as you comfortably can (while still getting a workout ).

Also try bridges (lying on your back with your knees up, and then lift your butt up and hold if for a bit) and planks (lie on your front supported by your forearms, and then lift up on your toes - your core muscles, abs and back, will tighten to work to keep your body straight and rigid; you can also do this one up on your hands instead of on your forearms). Or, if this is too difficult, support your body on your forearms or hands and your knees, instead of going all the way up on your toes.

Anything that requires balance also really helps work the core so if you have access at all to a stability ball that would be ideal. Do your crunches (and millions of other possible exercises) on there and you're core muscles will get an even better workout - your core is what really is working to keep your body from falling over, which is harder on the ball than on the floor. Alternatively, try walking a long distance on a skinny curb - your core muscles are immediately activated to help you from falling off.

HTH

Yep crunches are the way to go! new
      #212882 - 09/13/05 02:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I have NEVER been able to do a full sit-up cos I have some scoliosis that has mucked up my stomach muscles, but crunches work really well. If you crunch up and then try to hold, it'll work best too - all those guys at gyms doing fast sit-ups are just asking for an injury, not toned abs!

Thanks Laurel new
      #212955 - 09/13/05 11:08 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Should I put my hands behind my neck when I try to do a crunch? Or try to extend them past my knees? I don't think I could do that though. I'm talking no ab stength at all!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

How about leg lifts? new
      #212963 - 09/13/05 11:42 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I do crunches and bridges, as Laurel recommended, as well as leg lifts.

Leg lifts: lie on your back with your legs straight and your hands placed palms down under your butt for support. Draw your belly button towards your spine and lift your legs about 6-12 inches off the floor. Keep your legs straight and hold them up as long as you can, rest and repeat (depending on your specific goal).

Crunches: Lie on your back with your hands behind your head, your feet on the floor and your knees bent. Draw your belly button towards your spine and slowly lift your shoulders off the floor to crunch your ribs towards your pelvis. Focus on shortening the distance between your rib cage and pelvis and avoid using your hands to lift your head/shoulders. Do as many as you can, rest and repeat (depending on your specific goal).

(I thought descriptions might be helpful--although I'm not sure what "draw your belly button towards your spine" means. The descriptions are from 24hourfitness.com )

Re: How about leg lifts? new
      #212989 - 09/13/05 12:51 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

(I thought descriptions might be helpful--although I'm not sure what "draw your belly button towards your spine" means. The descriptions are from 24hourfitness.com )

means suck in your belly...lol My trainer is from 24 hour fitness and she says that to me all the time...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: How about leg lifts? new
      #213053 - 09/13/05 05:05 PM
retrograde

Yup, you've got to have your ab muscles working to get your butt OFF the floor on these ones - i.e. lift your legs up and then have your butt and hips follow them upwards), otherwise your abs are not getting a workout at all and your hip flexors are doing all the work. It's harder, but it actually works the abs. Really good one for the lower abs, especially, whereas crunches work the upper abs. Thanks for pointing it out Maria

Re: Thanks Laurel new
      #213054 - 09/13/05 05:09 PM
retrograde

No problem Hand position is a really great way to modify the difficulty of crunches and similar exercises. Here's a list of places you can put your arms - going from easiest to most difficult. Some of them are more awkward from crunches than other though. Start wherever works best for you, and once it gets easier and your abs get stronger, you can try some more difficult positions:

Arms on waist (or just stretched out like you described)
Arms crossed across chest
Arms on shoulders
Arms behind neck*
Arms behind head*
Arms on head*
(*for these 3, be sure your arms are not pushing your head or neck up into the crunch - you can really hurt yourself that way!)
Arms bent, over head
Arms straight, over head

After you get that down you can also try holding weights on your chest or over your head!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3124

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review