All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
REPORTING IN - 9/11/05
      #212308 - 09/10/05 10:54 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 9/11 here....

Shane & I are doing another 5K today.... this will be the same one that I did a year ago...my very 1st one ever....so I can't wait to see how much faster I finish this year.....wish me luck!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN - 9/11/05 new
      #212410 - 09/11/05 04:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

B: the usual
Snack: luna bar
L: oat ice cream, apple crisp
D: Thai BBQ chicken, rice, broccoli
might have sorbet or something? and take a codeine before bed or sooner
Total: less than 1200 right now. I am glad to not have much of an appetite while I am off exercising.
Ex: still too sore to exercise! Haven't done situps in one week.
Other: trying to drink more since I was C today from the codeine last night. Will take a Phillips chew tonight.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#212481 - 09/11/05 08:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

fat: 11g (12%)
carbs: 136g (32%)
protein 122g (57%)
Calories: About 1000, not more than 1100.

Still in rebel mode. Feeling increasingly dynamic, though. The protein screams, aches, cries in the night are being honoured. I don't understand it, however I'm listening. Craving fresh greens as well. Elated that I found two protein sources that will not make me puke my guts out as long as I take enzymes. Highly palatable and acceptable as long as I hide it/decorate it with veggies. I can't believe how awesome my green monster purees are with egg whites! Lol! "Green eggs--and no ham!" I suspect will become a staple.

Here's what I consumed:

--1 c. egg whites
--4.2 oz. albecore tuna
--13 altoids (cinnamon)
--an illegal quantity of salad greens, raw (i.e. a few toilet bowls), including: spring mix, baby spinach, red leaf lettuce, and boston lettuce
--spinach/dill puree (sauce/omelette guts)
--asparagus/basil puree (sauce)
--roasted fennel bulb and portabellini mushrooms (wicked salad topper)
--celery
--"faux-tatoes" cauliflower

And that's all she wrote for tonight. I find that if I don't have a protein snack an hour or so before bed, I go into famine/starvation mode by the witching hour and have nightmares. I can't believe how much more in command and kick butt/energized I feel. I shall continue to listen to the cues my body gives me.

Kate.

#212491 - 09/11/05 08:52 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

kate-- i'm glad you're feeling so kickass. it sounds awesome.

as for my day, had another major D attack this morning. boo. at least the horrible gas pains have been gone since then. tried to keep things safer today. plan to stick to lots of sf for the next while, at least. over the course of the day:

5 cups crispix (spread over the day)
3 potato pierogies
3 pieces dried mango
1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 fake turkey sandwich
2 mini bagels
1 t soy cream cheese
2 t strawberry rhubarb jam (from alaska!)

1650. not too bad, considering i was illin'. and only 9% fat.

feeling a little iffy tonight, but it's been morning D lately, so we'll see. it's strange - i've never had problems in the morning before.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Kate... new
      #212501 - 09/11/05 09:39 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Woah girl you are getting A LOT of protein! Good for you though, you seem to be feeling awesome so go with it!

Green eggs! (See, I told you! haha) Actually, it's kind of funny that you've been craving egg whites and fish and such lately because lately, they've really been revolting me. I've all but stopped eating them and gone mostly vegan! So I guess you can start enjoying my green monster eggs for me! lol

Re: Laurel... new
      #212549 - 09/12/05 06:55 AM
Wind

It's bizzare, but I'm listening to it. I seriously go into famine mode by 3 or 4 am! It's a kind of primal urge/instinct and I'm afraid not to respond to the call of the wild. My bones are grating against each other and I'm bruising so easily. Lol, it hurts to sit on my butt and it hurts to sleep--I don't have much padding/cushioning and am up every hour or so moving just because it really hurts. My knees get huge red welts from where they rub against each other and I have to use a zillion pillows! I also have a muscle wasting problem, so I'm hoping this helps. I think that explains the leafy green salad craving--for the Vitamin K factor.

Lol, though...those green eggs are the most easily digestible form of protein for me. Ditto for tuna. I can't stand the smell of cooking flesh--revolting. Any suggestions re: protein sources? Fat is a huge trigger. Fish is as far as I'll go, I think. I can't do soy or nuts/seeds/legumes, I regret. I have to keep it soft and plain and simple. Any fish/egg white successes worth mentioning? Ideas?

I think, though, I'm happier than the "Kate in the Hat" with those green eggs.

Is around 100g/day, too much? I'm kind of going with the flow at this point. I won't try to focus to hard on the grams and numbers. I just love how awesome I feel with the protein. It's brain food.

Kate.

#212624 - 09/12/05 10:06 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

fat: 11g (12%)
carbs: 136g (32%)
protein 122g (57%)
Calories: About 1000, not more than 1100.

Still in rebel mode. Feeling increasingly dynamic, though. The protein screams, aches, cries in the night are being honoured. I don't understand it, however I'm listening. Craving fresh greens as well. Elated that I found two protein sources that will not make me puke my guts out as long as I take enzymes. Highly palatable and acceptable as long as I hide it/decorate it with veggies. I can't believe how awesome my green monster purees are with egg whites! Lol! "Green eggs--and no ham!" I suspect will become a staple.

Here's what I consumed:

--1 c. egg whites
--4.2 oz. albecore tuna
--13 altoids (cinnamon)
Too funny.... I started to read your list like it was a recipe... I was thinking...ok..egg whites & tuna good...then I was cinnamon... thought...hum...interesting combo...then I saw Altoids!! LOL tought you were crazy....then just realized it was ME reading your post wrong...LOL
--an illegal quantity of salad greens, raw (i.e. a few toilet bowls), including: spring mix, baby spinach, red leaf lettuce, and boston lettuce
--spinach/dill puree (sauce/omelette guts)
--asparagus/basil puree (sauce)
--roasted fennel bulb and portabellini mushrooms (wicked salad topper)
--celery
--"faux-tatoes" cauliflower

And that's all she wrote for tonight. I find that if I don't have a protein snack an hour or so before bed, I go into famine/starvation mode by the witching hour and have nightmares. I can't believe how much more in command and kick butt/energized I feel. I shall continue to listen to the cues my body gives me.

Kate.

--------------------

#212628 - 09/12/05 10:14 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

kate-- i'm glad you're feeling so kickass. it sounds awesome.

as for my day, had another major D attack this morning. boo. at least the horrible gas pains have been gone since then. oh good.... tried to keep things safer today. plan to stick to lots of sf for the next while, at least. over the course of the day: good plan... hope that helps ya

5 cups crispix (spread over the day)
3 potato pierogies
3 pieces dried mango
1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 fake turkey sandwich
2 mini bagels
1 t soy cream cheese
2 t strawberry rhubarb jam (from alaska!)

1650. not too bad, considering i was illin'. and only 9% fat.

feeling a little iffy tonight, but it's been morning D lately, so we'll see. it's strange - i've never had problems in the morning before.

--------------------

Re: Shell/cinnamon altoids new
      #212635 - 09/12/05 10:24 AM
Wind

Actually, have you ever tried sprinkling cinnamon on dijon mustard? It's divine!

I needed something to distract me, orally, from the tuna digesting itself in my body.

Do you have any highly digestible protein suggestions? I know it's an issue with you--especially with the rigorous wear and tear you put yourself through, daily at the gym as Shell Marr. I value your thoughts. Can you try and convince me that it's okay, that it's good for me? It's just kind of spooky.

Kate.

shell? new
      #212646 - 09/12/05 10:38 AM
jaime g

i can't see if you'd written anything in response to my post other than "good plan." was there more that i'm missing?

thanks, though.

jaime

--------------------
jaime

Re: Shell/cinnamon altoids new
      #212655 - 09/12/05 11:07 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Actually, have you ever tried sprinkling cinnamon on dijon mustard? It's divine! no, I will have to try that... i've been mixing a little yellow mustard with my tuna & rf mayo...but never tried the dijon...interesting..

I needed something to distract me, orally, from the tuna digesting itself in my body.

Do you have any highly digestible protein suggestions? Protein shakes are my friend!! I know it's an issue with you--especially with the rigorous wear and tear you put yourself through, daily at the gym as Shell Marr. I value your thoughts. Can you try and convince me that it's okay, that it's good for me? Tuna is a GREAT source!! It's just kind of spooky.

Kate.

--------------------

Re: shell? new
      #212656 - 09/12/05 11:08 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

i can't see if you'd written anything in response to my post other than "good plan." was there more that i'm missing?

thanks, though.

jaime

LOL...nope that was just a short reply... did you wand advice on another portion of it? hehehe I can go back.... Oh, the jam sounded yummy too! hehehe

--------------------

#212658 - 09/12/05 11:22 AM
jaime g

no, i'm fine. just a little confused - i sometimes have trouble picking out your words from the quoted post. and the jam is pretty great - tastes very much of honey, which is strange, as that's not an ingredient. i had to restrain myself from buying all sorts of strange great jams they had - salmonberry, fireweed, lingonberry. and all blessedly free of hfcs. i've turned into such a food dork.

--------------------
jaime

#212662 - 09/12/05 11:44 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

no, i'm fine. just a little confused - i sometimes have trouble picking out your words from the quoted post. Do you not have a colored monitor? I'm typing in periwinkle and the jam is pretty great - tastes very much of honey, which is strange, as that's not an ingredient. i had to restrain myself from buying all sorts of strange great jams they had - salmonberry Oh, that sounds delish!! hehehe , fireweed, lingonberry. and all blessedly free of hfcs. i've turned into such a food dork. You and me both!! LOL

--------------------

#212666 - 09/12/05 11:55 AM
jaime g

aha! the periwinkle doesn't show up on my computer. i was wondering why you'd type in black within the quotes. mystery solved.

--------------------
jaime

#212671 - 09/12/05 12:03 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

aha! the periwinkle doesn't show up on my computer. i was wondering why you'd type in black within the quotes. mystery solved. LOL Sorry about that... i wonder who else can't see it... LOL

--------------------

FYI.... new
      #212692 - 09/12/05 12:44 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

the periwinkle doesn't show up on my computer either, Shell.

It might be a browser thing. I use firefox on a mac, it may only be visible in internet explorer or something like that.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: FYI.... new
      #212693 - 09/12/05 12:51 PM
jaime g

i'm using firefox, too, but on a pc. other formatty things seem to work for me - the bold, italics, and other colors, too.

but i heart my firefox. would i trade pop-up blocking for periwinkle? not at all.

--------------------
jaime

Protein junkies new
      #212859 - 09/12/05 10:11 PM
retrograde

Quote:

Any suggestions re: protein sources? Fat is a huge trigger. Fish is as far as I'll go, I think. I can't do soy or nuts/seeds/legumes, I regret. I have to keep it soft and plain and simple. Any fish/egg white successes worth mentioning? Ideas?

Fat's a big trigger for me too. If you're not down with the smell of fish cooking, what about smoked fish like salmon or white fish on sandwiches or (since you don't really eat bread) with veggies maybe?

Also Shell mentioned protein shakes - those are good too. Do you do any kind of fake "milk" - like rice milk maybe? Even if you don't you can make killer smoothies with just water too (though the milk makes it creamier) - and it's all pureed, baby! Every morning I have a smoothie of soy milk, soy protein powder and big handfuls of fruit all thrown in the blender. Yum If you don't do soy though, there's egg white protein powder too, which Shell and I were discussing on the boards not that long ago.

Re: egg whites, have you ever tried fritattas? You need a cast iron pan to do them, but basically you just start what would be an omlette - egg whites, mixed veggies pureed or not, herbs, spices etc. - in the pan on the stove and let it get mostly cooked. Don't flip it though. Then you throw the whole thing in the oven under the broiler so that the top gets cooked and it gets all nice and crusty.

FYI, most of your purees are good with eggs (yes, even beets ).

Quote:

Is around 100g/day, too much? I'm kind of going with the flow at this point. I won't try to focus to hard on the grams and numbers. I just love how awesome I feel with the protein. It's brain food.

No I don't think 100g a day is too much; that's what I get most days. That said, I do eat upwards of twice the calories you eat, so it works out to 20-25% of my cals, rather than 50%. Personally, I'd go with this as long as your body wants to - which will probably be just long enough to top up whatever deficiencies it's dealing with.

Re: Protein junkies new
      #212895 - 09/13/05 06:06 AM
Wind

Thanks for the tips. A frittata sounds awesome! Smoked fish, huh? I will keep my eyes open. I used to love smoked salmon years ago. Also, perhaps some shrimp or crabmeat? They'd rock in a fritatta or as an easy to tummy condiment type of pow-wow protein. (I'm still at the hide the protein, stage--it's like feeding the pickiest child, LOL! As long as it's covered in a forest of green things, it's okay and beginning to be yummy.)

Rice milk, even is too "thick" for my tummy and makes me vomit. I've never had success with protein shakes/powders.
So, I must use the real materials. It's a great suggestion, just not for me.

It's odd, but an average of 100g/day (protein) makes me feel outstanding, dynamic. I'm turning into a "BOB" (bag of bones).

I'll keep the lean whitefish suggestion in mind for future shopping reference, as well--stuff like halibut, sole, cod, tilapia, etc. For now, though, to keep it on the safe side, I'll be the big tuna. What's your favourite technique/style for cooking fish when you feel fishy?

Indeed, I'm discovering how complimentary all my purees are!
It makes the "feed" rather beautiful, i.e. visually, as well--a veritable optical feast/work of art as well as AMAZINGLY delectable. When you figure in the upgraded nutrition factor it's kind of positively eerie. I feel like a Picasso some days with my kitchen witchery. Sometimes, I look at what's on my plate and feel guilty with how attractive and nutritious and delicious it it and when I go out to eat I am so very very disappointed because things just don't measure up. Have you experienced that phenomena?
What's so funny is that it hardly takes any time at all!

Protein junkies, indeed. It's not just body food, but brain food. Thanks. I'm still elated that my body is accepting the egg whites and the tuna--no gag reflex/barf-o-rama involved. The protein really has "staying power."

Hmmm...is this cat food or "kate-food?" I think I'm a wet food only type.

Kate.

#212911 - 09/13/05 07:37 AM
retrograde

Oh, if you do start cooking fish, this is my absolute favourite way to cook it

If your fish is frozen, defrost it and set your over to a high heat, 400-450ish. Then take some aluminum foil and fold a long piece in half so you have a square that's 2 pieces thick (if you know what I mean). Or you can use the heavy duty aluminum foil stuff and only have it 1 thick. Spray it with a little cooking spray, place your fish in the middle of the square and add all your seasonings, veggies etc. Whole, quick cooking veggies you can place right in there, like zucchini. You can also parboil potatoes or sweet potatoes and put them in. Then wrap it all up so it's very secure and won't leak in your oven, and put it in for 15-20 minutes. I don't think I'm explaining this very well so here's a good site that has pictures on how to fold it It comes out amazingly moist and juicy and good AND there's NO cleanup! (My favourite part Good with veggie purees, spice rubs, or just a nice vinegar and chopped fresh herbs.

And yeah there's lots of good meats canned too... crab is amazing in eggs (Heather has a really good recipe for a crab and mushroom omlette in EFI actually). Canned salmon's not too bad either. I like to buy the flavoured canned tunas - like lemon pepper etc. (made by Clover Leaf) . Makes it *a lot* more palatable for me.

#212988 - 09/13/05 12:50 PM
Wind

You're amazing because I'm also clueless re: cooking fish without much fuss. No excuses, now! I can't cook and think, simultaneously! If I did, I wouldn't eat.

Thanks for the canned tips. Super energizing fresh fast food.

Have you tried rice vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar? Nakano has a wonderful assortment that I know you'd really enjoy.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11723

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review