All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Need opinions from the fitness experts
      #211318 - 09/06/05 01:24 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've been walking everyday with non-walking shoes. I got to the point where I felt I needed to go into a jog so I started to do "intervals" of walking/jogging for a few days. Now my knees are killing me! The backs of both knees!

I stopped jogging a week ago, but even just walking is making them hurt more. I woke up at 4 am this morning in horrible pain. I think I strained something...hopefully nothing is permanently damaged.

I don't really want to stop walking...as it is suppose to help the Constipation...but maybe I should just rest it? And for how long? I don't have access to any fitness equipment. Any suggestions? Other than to get decent shoes!

Should I keep walking and hope my knees strengthen up...or rest them for a few days. Should I go to an urgent care facility to have them looked at...or an orthopedic guy? I have osteoporosis and I'm afraid maybe I broke a knee bone...but I doubt that.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need opinions from the fitness experts new
      #211346 - 09/06/05 02:27 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Beth. I'm no expert but I'd say rest it for a few days. I doubt your broke a knee bone but it won't hurt to rest it. Also, definitely ice it for 10 mins or so when you can. If it's still hurting after a few days you might want to see someone about it (especially if the pain is still waking you up at night ).

Good shoes would probably help, especially for jogging. Jogging can be really tough on the knees. Have you tried speed-walking? Basically it's really really fast walking but both feet never leave the ground at the same time (so your whole body weight is not coming down and impacting your joints). As a result your butt kind of wiggles more when you're doing it I really like speed walking personally. You could definitely do intervals of regular walking and speed walking.

Also you can get nylon knee braces from the drugstore for pretty cheap and they work amazingly well. I'd recommend getting two, one for each knee, and wearing them when you go for your walks/jogs.

HTH

Re: Need opinions from the fitness experts new
      #211370 - 09/06/05 04:45 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

How recently have the insoles in your shoes been replaced? They actually wear out in about 6 months, and my knees end up killing me when I need to put new ones in mine! They make sports insoles, maybe try a pair of those? I buy my insoles from my local CVS, they have lots of choices.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

It was so hard... new
      #211414 - 09/06/05 06:55 PM
Augie

...to skip my walk today because I am very C. But after barely making it up the stairs to my apartment, I realized walking is out for a few days.

I will go see someone if it doesn't feel better in 3 or 4 days.

I tried speedwalking and I can't do it for some reason. My body wants to naturally go into a job.

I thought about the knee supports, but my legs are so skinny, I don't know if they would stay on. Maybe if they make kids sizes!

I need to think of a way to keep moving in order not to make the C even worse. I don't have any yoga books or tapes, so I don't know what I can do. Wish I had access to a pool.

--------------------
~ Beth

My shoes don't even have insoles new
      #211416 - 09/06/05 06:56 PM
Augie

...they are cheap and not designed for running at all.

--------------------
~ Beth

The pain has spread new
      #211420 - 09/06/05 07:06 PM
Augie

Now the front of my thighs hurt too...probably from overcompensating for my sore knees.

I don't know what part of my leg to ice...the original place it hurt or now the top of my thighs.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: It was so hard... new
      #211429 - 09/06/05 07:20 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Beth,

Sorry that you're having such a hard time I think yoga or pilates or something like that would probably be really good since it's non-impact, but I know you said you didn't have any tapes or instruction or anything...what about checking out a local library? Them sometimes have fitness videos you can take out?

Also, if it's a money issue (like you can't afford the shoes or tapes etc) you may want to check out FreeCycle. I don't know if you've ever heard of it but it's this neat internet thing where people give things away that they no longer need rather than try and sell them at a garage sale or just scrap them. I belong to a local FreeCycle group, and exercise stuff is often given away...shoes, books, videos, equipment...you name it. Usually someone who wanted to try something but it didn't really work out. Anyways, if you want to look into it more the website is www.freecycle.org

Hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

Re: It was so hard... new
      #211443 - 09/06/05 08:24 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Yes, they make kid sized knee braces. Check your local drugstore! Also, get better shoes if you intend to walk/run again. And work on strengthening your leg muscles too, this will help your knees. You don't need to go to a gym even, there are things you can do with light weights or ankle weights.
You might have to accept that running isn't the best for you. I have some knee trouble, and I know I'll never run more than 12-15 miles per week if I want to keep my knees relatively healthy. And I sometimes have to ice them and take ibuprofen. it sucks. But I like to run for exercise so I do it in moderation.
Anyways, yes--bad shoes=bad for knees.

--------------------

Re: My shoes don't even have insoles new
      #211460 - 09/07/05 04:47 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Beth, Beth, Beth. Do not run or walk in those shoes again. What are you doing girl? Sounds like smacking the road created too much shock in your legs, along with the general stiffness you feel after starting up running. I would say, get some new shoes and gently jog to stretch out those muscles again. And maybe take a hot bath to relax them. Do you have something like Tiger Balm? It's good to rub on sore muscles as well.

Take care of yourself! No pain, no gain is a myth!!

Chinagrl new
      #211477 - 09/07/05 06:55 AM
Augie

Do you think I need to rest them for a few days first? I know, stupid, stupid, stupid..running in flat bottomed Keds!

Would it help to stretch either before or after my walk/jog?

Thanks for you advice!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18083

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review