All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Taking fiber supplements and immodium
      #210822 - 09/03/05 02:33 PM
Dapper

Reged: 09/03/05
Loc: North Hills, NY

GI told me to try benefiber for two weeks. Being ignorant, I purchased the Caplets. They recommend 2 -6 tablets 3X a day. Knowing my system I took 1 tablet 3x. Next day after taking benefiber, which was two days after taking 3 Imodium Advanced, I lived on the toilet for about 3 consecutive hours until everything calmed down. After reading site and getting educated, took 1 pill today. I dropped out of a golf tournament because of the cramps/diarrhea. Should I continue with benefiber? If so, how many tablets? Should I use immodium when necessary? Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Taking fiber supplements and immodium new
      #210857 - 09/03/05 06:05 PM
RoseyL

Reged: 07/20/05
Loc: Minnesota

Hi,
Sounds like you are having a tough time!! I don't know much about benefiber....I take a metamucil type supplement, and acacia. I do think that the powder form would be more affective. Have you tried to change your diet at all?? If you go onto Heathers website, there's tons of info on what foods to eat to get back on track. I suggest reading the section on IBS diet and recipes. And from personal experience, stop drinking coffee, soda, and alcohol ASAP!!!
This will help tremendously.

I too am IBS-D, and feel your pain. I do reccommend the IBS Audio Program 100 (see hypnosis for IBS). I am on day 70 something and do feel that it has made a difference. The sessions help you to relax, and slow down your mind and body. I cannot say that I am regulated right now.....I have quite a bit of stress in my life at this time
(mother of 2 teens)

As far as immodium goes....I think you can take as needed. I know that several people take a small dose (1/2 tablet) each morning to help them get through the day. Stick with the lowest dose that is affective for you. Possibly after you are regulated you can cut back, or discontinue. I never thought it was a good thing to take immodium everyday, but did read a few posts that mentioned it is okay to do long term.

Hope this info is helpful
Be patient.....It will take some time for your body to calm down. Follow the soluble fiber suggestions in Heather's website, drink lots of water, get plenty of rest, reduce stress (I know, easier said than done -- but it is very important!!) There is only one you, all of us have 24 hours in 1 day. What doesn't get done in that time, will wait until tomorrow.....or the next day. Take the insistance out of your life. There is nothing so important that it cannot wait until tomorrow -- except taking care of yourself and telling someone you love them!! Live one day at a time, one minute at a time.

Blessings!!

Re: Taking fiber supplements and immodium new
      #211014 - 09/05/05 12:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Check the tablets for sweeteners!

Immodium is fine to take as needed or as a preventative, either regularly or for special occasions.

And btw you two, if you post this kind of question on the Eating For IBS forum, you'll get more responses - that forum's for all IBS and diet posts.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review