All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm being brave...pics of my abnormal calves...any suggestions?
      #208932 - 08/26/05 03:32 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Ok guys, it takes a lot of courage for me to even be posting this because I don't let ANYBODY see my legs because I think they're so funny looking, but I thought maybe if I posted them I might be able to get some better advise as to what kinds of exercises I could be doing to help make them look better. I still think it looks kinda like a fluid retention issue but so far the docs haven't found anything, but I have a physical in two week so I'll definately be bringing it up!

Anyways, if you look down at my feet, it's right around my ankles they just bulge something fierce. They look almost exactly the same as they did when I was 50lbs heavier and nothing I've been doing so far has made a difference despite the fact that I've been seeing some inch loss everywhere else (things, hips, tummy etc).

Ok here goes:

Sorry they're so big (the pictures...not the legs ), I'm not too good with the digital pictures yet and couldn't shrink them.

Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

IMHO I think it looks like water retention. ~nt~ new
      #208933 - 08/26/05 03:35 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: I'm being brave...pics of my abnormal calves...any suggestions? new
      #208967 - 08/26/05 05:45 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Kelly, that is DEFINITELY a fluid retention problem/issue. I assure you--that is the problem. Are you taking medications?
I have had that happen to me, only to have it disappear in less than 48 hours. You poor girl/woman/person. NOW I UNDERSTAND and EMPATHIZE with your sensitivity. Honestly...it
looks like edema. How are your electrolytes?

Kate.

#208972 - 08/26/05 06:09 PM
Vicam

Hey Kate,

Let me just say THANK YOU for thinking it's a fluid issue. I've been trying to tell doctors that for months but because I don't have any pitting edema they say it's just my genetics (i.e. I'm stuck with big legs). I am on medications...I would think the most likely culprit would be BC pills...I take them back to back and only get a period every 7 months or so. I'm also on a GERD medicine (Pariet), Modulon (tummy medicine) and Klonopin. The BC pills are the only ones I've been on for as long as this has been a problem though.

As for my electrolytes, they haven't been checked very much, but my potassium has been off on more than a few occassions. I try really hard to limit my salt intake and I drink lots of water (maybe too much?) but so far haven't been able to get success with anything.

ANy suggestions? Or even things I could/should say to the doc? They act like it's nothing because it's just "cosmetic" but it's important to me. It gets pretty darn hot here and I hate never being able to wear shorts or skirts but it's just too embaressing. I actually once had a worker in a shoe store say "Holy F**K" upon seeing my calves when I was trying to buy knee high boots

Kelly

#209020 - 08/26/05 08:17 PM
Wind

Kelly:

I've been taking Pariet, too. It's a side effect, I'm pretty sure. I drink too much fluid as well and eat tons of salt. It could be due to not enough potassium. Are you C? I'm combing my brain for a moment. It's definitely due to a salt/water inbalance/edema. I take Tegretol. I get that dangerously low sodium thing, usually which gives me seizures.

It's a drug effect. My legs get similar to yours--though not as extreme. I note that since starting the Pariet they get like that. (I'm on a triple dose, too!) I did switch to Losec last week, but I have yet to fill that prescription.

I think it's an effect of all the drugs--truly, sincerely, Kelly. I had a freaky watermelon day last weekend where I literally had no calves or knees and felt like an ox and it was rather painful as I'm a tiny/boney person.

Kate.

#209030 - 08/26/05 08:51 PM
Vicam

Thanks Kate for your suggestions...my only question would be, why does it never go away? You say you get similar things happening but that it only lasts a certain length of time, my legs have looked like this since I was about 16. They never go down in size...they'll sometimes swell up worse than that if I've been on my feet a lot, but that's the normal size I'm even starting to get some bad varicose veins

#209074 - 08/27/05 09:45 AM
Wind

Could there be genetic factor involved?

Kate.

#209109 - 08/27/05 01:57 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Your feet look flat and turned in. See how your ankle bone are slanted? That's how mine are, though my legs are much bigger. Have you tried wearing shoes with a good arch in them? It may not make a visual difference, but when your feet are out of line it effects your whole body.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#209127 - 08/27/05 03:45 PM
Vicam

Funny you should say that, I was also kinda thinking the same thing when I looked at the pictures. I don't notice it when I'm just standing, but when I see it in pictures...yep, they look funny. I do have fallen arches so it may have something to do with that...I'll mention it to the doc

Genetics new
      #209128 - 08/27/05 03:46 PM
Vicam

Honestly, I have no idea My sister also has fairly large legs but she's heavier than me, and her legs are at least more proportionate...they don't have that puffiness at the ankles. But neither my Mom or Dad have big calves. It's just so frustrating. I live in an 11 story building and I'm starting to contemplate stair running just to see if that does something...but it probably won't

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7882

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review