All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Best exercise to relieve constipation
      #208631 - 08/25/05 08:08 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've been walking 30 minutes a day to try and help my constipation, but getting no results.

Can anyone recommend something that they find helpful for constipation? Or, am I just not walking enough?

Thank you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best exercise to relieve constipation new
      #208639 - 08/25/05 08:46 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Like I said, a good run always cleared EVERYTHING out for me.

Hi Beth! new
      #208640 - 08/25/05 08:46 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Beth! Haven't seen you around in a while! How have you been doing?

Re: walking, everyone's different I guess. As you know I'm not a C so I'm not sure of how much help I can be in this department. As a D though I know that exercise is crucial to keeping my gut stable. You could try walking more. I know that it often takes a lot for C people, and more's not going to hurt if you have time. Or you could try more intense, like speed-walking or running or taking up some other kind of cardio if that interests you.

Anyway, hopefully some other C people can weigh in. Just wanted to say hi and see how you're doing!

I don't know if I could handle running new
      #208721 - 08/26/05 07:14 AM
Augie

I'm pretty underweight at the moment. But, I'd like to get a good pair of shoes and at least try. I am still having a hard time walking at a fast pace, even after 7 months. I can't believe how out of shape I am. To think I used to run Cross Country.

I can't even touch my toes anymore.

Hey, Jenny, do you stretch before you run? How long do you run for and is there a particular time of day you run?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

What are some cardio exercises? new
      #208722 - 08/26/05 07:16 AM
Augie

My doctor recommended something more intense than walking, but time is a problem. I don't exactly know what cardio would include.

I need to get things going and to help relieve anxiety and lift my mood too!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I don't know if I could handle running new
      #208739 - 08/26/05 08:03 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Do you have the ability to run on a treadmill? It's easier than running outdoors, and you can control the temperature much more easily.

To be honest, I don't really stretch before I start running. I do stretch afterwards though. I've read a lot of research that says that a warm-up period is more important than stretching, and that stretching before hand doesn't actually prevent injury. Plus, I am lazy about stretching. I would never advise not to do it, I just don't.

And I generally run 20-40 minutes on any given day, occasionally I've gone 60 min or more when I was feeling really good. And nope, no particular time. Since I'm stuck indoors (there's no way I'd run outside in Austin during the summer- we've been in triple digits for weeks) I go whenever. Last night I ran from 8:45-9:30 pm or so. The other day I ran a short period in the morning and then again at night.

Just be careful and make sure you listen to your body, whatever you decide.

Thank you! new
      #208743 - 08/26/05 08:22 AM
Augie

A few questions...do you own your own treadmill? I was thinking of investing in one for the winter months when I can't get outside. But I wouldn't know what kind to get and they are expensive to move...and I tend to move a lot!

Also, did you grow up in Texas? Or are you just planning on staying there for school and then relocating after you graduate?

I've heard that Austin is a great place to live. Not sure where you are...but I know 5 people now who have moved out there!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: What are some cardio exercises? new
      #208751 - 08/26/05 08:57 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Actually, I have been jogging (and trust me, NOT at a fast pace at all) for 20 minutes for about 2 weeks now. AMAZING! Some days, I have 3 BM's!!! I was shocked. Now, I don't have that many every day, but some days I do and I have been feeling great lately!! I usually have a lot of gas, and that has been down also!! Good luck.

Re: I don't know if I could handle running new
      #208753 - 08/26/05 09:03 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Sorry, just saw this....as a Health/PE teacher, you actually should NEVER stretch your muscles cold. Walk for 2 minutes or so, or LIGHTLY jog and then stop and stretch (heck, I have my students do 50 jumping jacks before they stretch sometimes but it at least gets the muscles warmer). You need to get the blood flowing and heart rate up a small amount first. And, really make sure you stretch afterwards again. I am a former cross country runner too when I was younger and I can't touch my toes either!! And, that is bad, b/c tight hamstring muscles can cause lower back pain!!

As far as the weight, and me personally, running does not instantly cause me to lose weight. I run for 20 minutes a day and I weigh the same as I always have (since my junior year in high school to be exact.) Plus, you are building more MUSCLE, which is good for so many things when you start exercising.

Oh, I hope that works for me! new
      #208777 - 08/26/05 10:02 AM
Augie

One BM a day would be a nice change...or one every 3 days!

what are some other Cardio type excersises? And what is a good shoe to get? A cross trainer or what brand?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7736

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review