All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Hope this helps!! new
      #208806 - 08/26/05 10:52 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I prefer true "running" shoes over cross trainers. I personally think cross trainers are too heavy, but it could just be me. A lot of runners I talk to like Adidas running shoes, but some like Asics, New Balance, or Mizuno. I do hear a lot of people say they stay away from Nike. I just think its personal choice though. Try A LOT on, get on a hard surface, bounce up and down, etc. I may look like a dork, but when I choose my shoes I'm jogging and bouncing up and down the store aisle!! Also, don't think if you go walking or biking you can't wear running shoes....they should be fine. I personally play volleyball in running shoes....I like the cushion!

Also, when someone tells you jogging gets easier each day...don't believe them!! I feel get for usually the first 2 days (after increasing my time or distance) , and then the 3 day I feel like I hit a brick wall! I really have to push myself. The "experts" (whoever they are, ha ha) say interval training is a good way to start out....jog for 5 minutes, walk for 1 minute, for 20-30 minutes. I have found, even if I don't have 30 minutes, a brief jog still does me wonders.

I will say though, it STINKS to try to get into shape sometimes. I honestly am one of those people that don't "love to exercise", but I've found it makes me feel so much better literally all over. My headaches are gone, I have more energy, I'm in a better mood...I'm serious!!! Not to mention I'm getting more "tone" in my legs and butt! Also, I find it MUCH, MUCH easier with a partner. A group of teachers stay after school and jog and its so much easier with a group. We push and encourage one another.

However, do give your body (especially those knees) a break. I give myself at least one day off. Swimming is great cardio also, but a pool isn't as easy to find sometimes!!

One more thing....if you are IBS-C, I swear those Luna Bars the people on this board talk about have done me wonders. I eat one everyday, and really feel it helps with BM's. I think all of it added together I've finally found a good combo!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Shoes... new
      #208921 - 08/26/05 03:10 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Beth,

Shoes are very individual as everyone's feet are different. I also don't like crosstrainers. I think they're heavy and clunky. I've had two pairs of good running shoes, one was a pair of Nikes and my latest are Saucony. But I didn't worry about brand at all, just comfort and price.

Also, I don't own a treadmill, I have a gym membership. I belong to Gold's Gym and pay $35 a month. Considering how often I'm there (5-6 days of the week) it's a pretty good deal. I also pay extra for a personal trainer who's taught me how to use various free motion machines and weights. I like to alternate around the cardio equipment and I don't think I could afford the money or space for a treadmill in my house. That'd be cool though because I like to sing along with my music while I'm running (or just mouth along) and people in the gym stare at me and giggle. Ah well.

this might sound weird new
      #208956 - 08/26/05 05:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

but what popped into my head was walking or swimming in water-pool-ocean-lake. I think the water calms the gut. When I worked with horses, my favorite horse, Outsider, would get gas colic/C often and I would walk him around and then put him in the wash stall and run warm water on him. It didn't help a lot but I would always see his tail go up at the very least.
P.S. don't poop in the water

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

LOL...haven't done that yet... new
      #209224 - 08/28/05 09:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...but I have had some bubbles come up in my bath water from expelled gas! The hot water does tend to relax the gut!

I don't live near an ocean and I can't afford a health club pass..and we don't have a YMCA either. I'll need to investigate this one! If I had the guts to get into a bathing suit!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Thanks for the help everyone! new
      #209225 - 08/28/05 09:23 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I tried running a little with my walking and my knees killed me! Felt like I was banging them agains bricks. It could be my shoes...they are not really even designed for walking let alone running.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review