All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
REPORTING IN - 8/23/05
      #207657 - 08/22/05 10:21 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 8/23 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN - 8/23/05 new
      #207874 - 08/23/05 02:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

B: malt o meal with 1/2 milk 1/2 water, banana
snacks: banana, luna, 2 cupcakes, mango and melon, eng muffin (not a safe one) and jam
D: leftover boca burger, potatoes, zucchini
De: some sorbet and later a 1/2 bowl cheerios
Total: less than 1800 cals.
exercise: weights and ball exercises 50 minutes and shopping and carrying stuff up my stairs; it is a workout!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (08/24/05 04:36 AM)

#207954 - 08/23/05 07:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Mostly had a migraine today. Very, very, very tired. Sinus
congestion.

Here's what I consumed:

--3 c. Gatorade
--1.5 L Club Soda
--1 L broth
--over 2 L water
--over a pot of coffee (I'm doing a gallbladder cleanse as I'm obscenely bilious of late)
--at least 6 c. herbal tea (Fennel Rooibos & Bigelow Cranberry Apple)

--2 plates "Leb kusa" (zucchini and onion salad) see index.
I sweated the onion in veg. stock and substituted fresh basil for the mint.
--spinach/herb puree
--1 c. yellow cherry tomatoes
--yellow/green beans (I love these as snacks! I see them and I want to stick them in a McDonald's french fry holder)
--Thai yellow curried cauliflower soup with green onions (Broth plus soy sauce, yellow curry paste, seasoned rice vinegar, fish sauce, basil, and cauliflower puree--to make it thick and creamy). Delicious and sinus clearing!!!
--5 baby dill pickles

That's all.

Kate.

#207958 - 08/23/05 07:26 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

cheerios
low-fat non-fried ramen w/no broth
green beans
peanut butter sandwich
ufo
pasta
veggies
ufo

question for kate new
      #207962 - 08/23/05 07:52 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

kate-- i'm curious about your diet. what sorts of needs did it come out of? i'm also curious how it fits in with your ibs.

thanks,
jaime

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: question for kate new
      #207963 - 08/23/05 08:06 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I was wondering this as well. You seem to eat only eat fruits and veggies. How do you get your SF? Wouldn't some white rice or bread help "cushion" your tummy for all these veggies?

I'm amazed you can drink coffee and eat all these veggies, especially cauliflower or brussel sprouts without any SF. Dosn't this trigger you IBS? Are you IBS-C? Maybe I need more foods like this if it helps. But I can't live without my carbs and protein...yummy chicken and fish! You really are missing out on some yummy foods, Wind. I hope you aren't dieting...please take care and allow yourself to indulge in some yummy muffins or rices and breads...or a nice broied piece of fish.

I'm worried about you.

Kate is vegan... new
      #207964 - 08/23/05 08:07 PM
chinagrl

To the best of my knowledge there's no desire to eat chicken or fish. About the rest I'll let her answer. I just wanted to add that I don't eat chicken, fish, or any kinds of meat and I don't feel deprived at all- in fact I feel much better physically and spiritually for not doing so.

#207966 - 08/23/05 08:11 PM
jaime g

weighed myself this morning - 150! last winter (pre-scale owning) i was probably around 160, maybe even higher. (i'd gained weight post-graduation, so a lot of the loss was getting back to 'normal,' and then the ibs died, but i'm excited.) 148 is the lowest i've ever been (since puberty), so this is quite exciting. and today i ate:

mini bagel w/ soy cream cheese

banana
8 reduced-fat wheat thins

pb&j on white
2 pieces crystalized ginger

tropicana fruit strip (like fruit leather, i guess.)

soy yogurt

luna bar
english muffin
2 pieces dried papaya

strawberry sorbet (and a couple of bites of my roommate's mint chip & peanut butter sundae.)

1550. quite alright. especially because - gym today: 40 minutes intense biking, lots of stretching (seriously my favorite thing ever), and a total of an hour of walking.

--------------------
jaime

Re: Kate is vegan... new
      #207967 - 08/23/05 08:14 PM
jaime g

i'm a vegetarian, too. have been for eight years - i haven't felt deprived since the very beginning. i like it.

--------------------
jaime

Re: question for kate *DELETED* new
      #207973 - 08/23/05 11:44 PM
Wind

Post deleted by Wind

Edited by Wind (08/24/05 03:23 AM)

kate... new
      #208029 - 08/24/05 07:28 AM
jaime g

i'm sorry if i started off something touchy. (it was my question first, not cindy's, though it seems what bothered you was the suggestion that you ought to eat something other than you do, which wasn't mine.) i was just curious about your diet, what pointed you towards the choices you make. i deliberated a good while before asking - i didn't want to offend you or seem nosy, or hit a delicate nerve. but i decided that as these boards are about our ibs, our diet, and our work to eat healthily and well for our bodies, it didn't seem too foward or personal to ask this question. we are posting our daily diets on here. this isn't to say that you aren't fair in feeling attacked by being told that you could use a muffin or some rice. i just wanted you to understand where my orginal question came from.

jaime

--------------------
jaime

jaime g new
      #208064 - 08/24/05 09:08 AM
Wind

I tend to sound like I bark at people--I appologize. I have epilepsy and attention difficulties and I function better choosing alternative sources of carbohydrate/protein. I've been this way for years--with a few pauses to "try" alternatives--however those attempts have always been disasterous. I consume quite a bit of soluable fiber, in plant form!!! Prior to IBS, I was a raw vegan, however that is not possible now.

Re: how does it affect my IBS? Lately, pretty good. I'm a D, but I'm almost at the point where I'd say I'm stable! I'm getting into a good rhythm with my gastrocolic reflex after a bizarre evil D streak. Shall we call it clockwork regularity?

Mostly, I want to detox from the drugs and combat vitamin/mineral depleting side effects. Eating this way does so.

Once again, sorry for "barking," Jaime.

Kate.

Re: Cyndy new
      #208066 - 08/24/05 09:11 AM
Wind

I am vegan. I consume tons of SF in plant form.

Kate.

I'm sorry ... new
      #208080 - 08/24/05 09:35 AM
Cyndy

if my question, suggestions were taken the wrong way. I sincerely was concerned for your health and for your IBS condition.

I only suggested the rice and safe muffins as a way to help you tolerate your veggies in case you were having problems with them...or to get your opinion on them. I have read "Going Against the Grain" and have always wondered about how feels to live this way...if anyone had had success. Plus, as you know from my previous posts, I am really stuggling to find my answers and tolerable foods and so I like to "pick other peoples brains" for ideas on how they chose the foods they did and the reasons why the foods heal them. Your diet is not the "traditional" IBS diet and that intrigued me.

I also have a friend who died of anorexia, and it hurt me to see her kill herself by limiting yourself to vegetables and fruits as her only source of food. I am very alert and sensitive when I see this pattern in others, fearing they may be dealing with such a devastating demon that my friend Jennifer fought until she died at the age of 22. She was tired from no protein (and no weight!) and although she was "vegan" I know she could have chosen to eat vegan forms of protein if she hadn't been afraid of the calories. In my opinion, it is healthier to eat carbs, proteins, and fruits and veggies.

I don't know why you seem to take my suggestions or comments so negatively when I am truly trying to help and offer advice and suggestions, which, as jaimie pointed out, is the point of these boards...to help each other and share are thoughts and advice.

I don't post my foods because I would become too obsessive about it.

I will try not to ask you for advice or questions anymore since you seem to take offense to them. I truly, truly, only wanted to help you and to understand how maybe your choices might help me since I am hurting on the "traditional" IBS diet and often wonder how you and others have found a menu of foods that have helped them. I would never have thought that rice or cereal could be hurtful to me or anyone else. So, I wonder how you figured htis out for yourelf. I have thought about going "Against the Grain" too, such as the SCD by Elaine Gottschall and was wondering if you were doing something similar. Or, how you were working the IBS diet without eating the safe traditional SF foods.

I wish you well, and will not upset you by posting to you anymore. I was just trying to understand and to learn.

thanks, but ... new
      #208083 - 08/24/05 09:38 AM
Cyndy

I read your original post a little too soon. Sorry again for uspetting you. And I didn't realize SF fruits and veggies were as safe as SF from carbohydrates since Heather's book always seems to say to eat bread or rice before the IF as a SF base.

Re: jaime g new
      #208088 - 08/24/05 09:54 AM
jaime g

thanks kate. i totally understand how you could have felt attacked. you weren't asking for advice, and especially when you're making 'unconventional' diet choices, it can feel like someone's being really judgemental when, without knowing your circumstances, they tell you that they think you should change.

thank you for filling me in on where you're coming from - a lot of conditions (and related life choices) feel really personal to divulge. i appreciate it.

--------------------
jaime

Hey Cyndy... new
      #208188 - 08/24/05 01:19 PM
chinagrl

I know you only wanted what's best for Kate and that you were concerned about her. In my own experience, vegetarians and vegans get attacked (or questioned, or harrassed, etc) about their diet choices all the time. It's pretty easy to get pretty defensive and tired of the questioning. Particularly since many vegetarians find it morally reprehensible to eat meat or fish.

I know that people wouldn't like it if I, as a vegetarian, constantly questioned them about their diet, and so I generally leave people alone to eat what they wish, regardless of how I feel about it. However, I would take offense if someone told me I was depriving myself, or doing something wrong, by not eating fish (an act I find barbaric and disgusting).

It's hard to bite my tongue, living in a world of meat eaters, so I wish they would do the same for me.

Anyway, I was just trying to explain why what you said could come across wrong, and not to stir things up again or get involved. Like I said, I'm sure you had the best of intentions.

Vegetraians and vegans new
      #208193 - 08/24/05 01:28 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I agree that vegetarians and ESPECIALLY vegans can get attacked. I've been a vegetarian for 14 years now and people (co-workers, relatives, family, etc.) still give me the third degree on it.

I was vegan for several months. I still don't drink cow's milk (yuck) and don't eat eggs (yuck) and the only non-vegan thing I can tolerate ibs-wise is yogurt. I add it to my granola for breakfst and it's yummy.

The main reason I couldn't be vegan is because there are no delicious cheese substitutes out there yet (I've tried dozens) so I ended up craving cheese (pizza, nachos, burritos) and caved in.

I think people that can be vegan have a lot of willpower and that's commendable. Also, they can get all the nutrients from plant dervived sources. The only thing they can't get from plants is b-12 but you can get fortified soy milk which if you drink 3 glasses a day gives you your daily requirement. (I saw a nutritionist about my requirements).

Re: I'm sorry ... new
      #208194 - 08/24/05 01:28 PM
Wind

I'm sorry, too! I'm sensitive because I have taken much criticism in the past from others who do not understand my different needs. I appreciate your desire to learn. Once again, I appologize for barking!

I've been in remission from anorexia for years. Due to my health conditions, I see my MD frequently. I am a low weight, but not unhealthy. Indeed, my health has improved due to this way of eating.

Essentially, this is what works for me right now and has for years, with few pauses. I'm quite orthodox in my habits--it's hard to teach this body new tricks after so long! I try things, but they are usually not successful. Don't laugh, but I think I have "psychological" issues with grains/starches after following the Atkins diet/low carb program many years prior to asserting my veganism. Something in me just reject grains, and fish too.

Honestly, cereals/muffins/grains/potatoes just make me feel ill and toxic and foggy and spun. I've tried, but I'm better with carrots and zucchini and mushrooms and squashes, etc., et cetera. There is a HUGE variety of plant SF. I've got to be true to me.

Your concern is appreciated.
Kate.

Re: Vegetraians and vegans new
      #208198 - 08/24/05 02:06 PM
Wind

Thank you, Tina.

I go for B-12 shots as I don't absorb it intestinally. I didn't absorb it even when I consumed meat, years ago.

I easily consume plenty of protein from plant food alone, more than my body requires.

I agree with you re: eggs--yuck! I don't crave the dairy as
I'm very allergic to it and have been my whole life.

It is essential to honour oneself re: food/nutrition/cravings. I haven't been able to find decent faux-cheese, etc. Most fake things, if you compare them to the real thing are supremely lacking.

I don't miss meat/poultry a bit. Occaisonally, though, I miss egg whites (not yolks) and lean fish, I confess. However, bad experiences and conscience deter me.

Yes indeed, we vegetarians and vegans often get "put on the spot." I hate feeling picked on. I do admit to over-reacting. It's really hard not to.

Kate, IBS-D--nearly A!!!

Thanks, chinagrl. new
      #208203 - 08/24/05 02:26 PM
Wind

Thanks for the support and the understanding. I feel like I stick my foot in my mouth everytime I open it. Sometimes, psychologically, I feel like "prey" when grilled re: my nutritional choices and react like a "madhatter" or a hunted/attacked animal.

I just can't sleep at night knowing that there is an unnecessarily killed creature in my body. My body's conscience rejects meat/fish in the act of vomitting without my initiation. It is a part of my karma, my life path to be vegan.

Sometimes, though, I feel like the village idiot for babbling/rambling and shooting my brainless mouth off.

Kate, IBS-D--soon to be A, I think.

Thank you from me too, Chinagrl new
      #208271 - 08/24/05 06:47 PM
Cyndy

Yes, I truly was only trying to help. Thank you for believing in my sincerity.

For Kate! new
      #208289 - 08/24/05 08:37 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kate,

I can relate to SO MUCH of what you said here!

I am finding there is less and less I can eat. I live in a culture where food is central. It is VERY tough that I can't digest meat, gluten, sugar, and dairy right...I stick out! People often ask if they can have some of my food...and they often contaminate it with their gluten-ladden fork that was on their plate which contained gluten, etc. It has gotten to the point we don't go out to eat!

I just want to say I RESPECT you more than I can say for the way you eat and live your life! *hugs* YOU ROCK!!!!

Love, Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Vegetraians and vegans new
      #208404 - 08/25/05 08:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I agree that most fake things compared to the real thing aren't even close. I love soy milk, soy ice cream, soy cream cheese and soy sour cream though!

My dad asks me every single time I'm at my parents for dinner if he can serve me whatever meat they're having. It's his own little joke and I think he hopes one day I'll say yes. Nope! And I always end up eating tofu something-or-another to replace the meat at their meals and they always make fun of it. But I don't care! I enjoy it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10418

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review