Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tips for reducing sugar intake?
      #207461 - 08/22/05 10:41 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Hey all,

I'm getting kinda desparate (but remaining smart, no gimmicks for me) with my fibro getting worse. I think it's end of the term crud, but I really need to get myself better to get through my upcoming senior year. I've read several places that reducing/eliminating sugar can help with fibro stuff, but I'm kinda scared to try it. I know I don't eat enough calories usually, I'm lucky to get about 1500-1800 a day, so reducing sugar intake would reduce my calories and that scares me! Here's what I'm typically eating (note: I'm pretty unstable IBS wise at the moment as well, so I've been having D most days!):

half plain bagel with homemade "spread" (spread=1 can peaches (in lite syrup, drained), pureed +1 can mangoes (in lite syrup, drained), pureed + 1/4 cup sugar+1 T arrowroot flour (to thicken)+ginger+cinnamon, it ends up kinda runny, thus the "spread")
applesauce muffin from the message boards
pretzels
plain bagel with Peter Pan honey creamy peanut butter and more of my homemade "spread"
Mott's unsweetened applesauce cup
occasional vegan blueberry muffin from message boards
dinner has been white sushi rice the past few days that I made using a can of veggie broth, I had some Quorn chicken tenders with it the one night, and some stir-fry with Quorn again another night

Any ideas, tips? I'm a vegetarian, sensitive to soy and beans, allergic to chickpeas, bananas are a migraine trigger, I feel like such a mess! Oh, and I am taking Acacia, I'm up to 1 T+1 1/4 teasp.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tips for reducing sugar intake? new
      #207768 - 08/23/05 10:18 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Melissa

You really aren't eating THAT much sugar, and hardly any processed junk, so you're not doing too badly at all. What works for me when I want to cut back is to eat more fruit. My vice is candy after meals so it's easy for me to satisfy my sweet tooth with a bit of fruit after meals.

You seem to bake a lot which is probably where lots of your sugar's coming from I would guess. That's a pretty easy substitute - just reduce the amount of sugar in your recipes, up the fruit content etc. You can do it gradually too, a little less each time.

Maybe try the same with your fruit spread - personally that already sounds really sweet to me even without the added sugar, but you could try

Quote:

homemade "spread" (spread=1 can peaches (in lite syrup, drained - even though you drain it, you could elminate sugar here by buying it in juice rather than in syrup), pureed +1 can mangoes (in lite syrup, drained - ditto ), pureed + 1/4 cup sugar+1 T arrowroot flour (to thicken)+ginger+cinnamon, it ends up kinda runny, thus the "spread")I would work on slowly eliminating the sugar from this recimpe by using just a bit less everytime. You could also up the ginger and cinnamon a bit too which always tend to make things taste sweeter on their own

Quote:

plain bagel with Peter Pan honey creamy peanut butter - try buying unsweetened peanut butter, or better yet, natural peanut butter (just peanuts, no hydrogenated oil or sugar) and more of my homemade "spread"

You could also try stevia, but I'm not sure what the effects of that are on fibro.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry too much about your calorie intake. When you cut back on sugar your blood glucose will regulate a little bit and make your natural cravings for food a bit more balanced anyway. Your body sould balance itself out, and will probably tell you when and where it needs a bit more food. No need to stress out about that.

Hope that helps a little, hopefully someone else will have some good advice too.

#207777 - 08/23/05 11:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Taking away sugar, gluten, meat and dairy were some of the BEST things I did to help my fibro (the other one was adding magnesium malate and cal/mag supps daily).

I just stopped the sugar cold turkey. Period.

Btw, there Is evidecne that removing gluten helps with fibro. I can't remember where I read it...but I've seen it at least once

More cals without sugar/ Eat rice pasta a lot! Fruits have quite a bit of sugar if you eat a lot...maybe get a juicer? Honey in your tea? Personally, I just leave the sugar out of it and I hav hopes to remove the grains as they drain me. Rice pasta, some squashes, and potatoes zap my enegry! I will be getting my cals from homemade soups, imagine soups, fruit juices, and stuff like that.

If you want some recipe ideas I have recieved from Kate/Wind let me know and I'll be happy to share!

I love you Melissa *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#207826 - 08/23/05 12:55 PM
melitami

I've tried going GF before, about a year and a half ago. I had the worst D attack of my life. Too much brown rice products. I'm wayyy too sensitive to IF sometimes. I can't even have rice milk on an empty stomach.

Hope you're doing a bit better, sweetie. Send me an email sometime!

--------------------
Melissa

#207982 - 08/24/05 04:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fruit, honey, just cutting back on sugar in recipes - all good. I make ADBs with 3/4 or even 1/2 of the recipe amount of sugar now and they're still great!

You need more protein. I guess with you that might have to be lots of natural nut butters? Can you get quorn where you are? How about other nuts and beans and things?

Protein new
      #207995 - 08/24/05 05:46 AM
melitami

The bagels I eat have a fair amount in them, and I do eat Quorn chicken tenders (all the other Quorn products have whey in them, at least here in the US). I do eat peanut butter, but can only eat one PB&J a day, or else it's too much fat for me. I also eat quinoa a fair amount as well. I'm just in a SF rut right now because of the D and not really knowing what's causing it

Thanks for the tips though, girls! I will definitely give this a try!

--------------------
Melissa

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2653

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review