All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Requesting Advice!
      #205824 - 08/16/05 07:41 AM
bef113

Reged: 08/16/05

I am a college athlete (golfer), and I have just been diagnosed with IBS about 3 months ago. I have been going through all types of other tests, but as of yesterday, this seems to be the main problem. I go back to school next week, but I am having problems keeping my energy level up. I suffer mainly from diahrrea, and it just exhausts me. Being out in the sun for eight hours on usually only a six hour sleep, I honestly don't know how I am going to function. I have trouble concentrating and focusing. This summer I have currently been so tired and fatigued that I have been sleeping about ten hours a night and still can't get rested. I've never had these problems before. Is there anything besides improving my diet that I can do? Also I need a fairly high protein intake. What about low-fat peanut butter or some kind of beans? Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Requesting Advice! new
      #205831 - 08/16/05 07:50 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

A lot of people with IBS-D will tell you that diarrhea can zap the life out of you. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. Some people can tolerate sports drinks like gatorade, and some can't. You can try and see how you do. Are you taking a vitamin? Something to consider. Can't hurt and may help if you're missing something. There's tons of things you can to to bump up your protein. Low fat PB is definitely a great idea. As is ground almonds (or regular almonds if you can tolerate them and chew them very well). Soy products are also protein champions. Soy milk, tofu, etc. are great.

The good news is you probably will not feel like this forever. I, too felt like this when I was first diagnosed. Once you get a handle on Heather's diet, your triggers and how your body reacts to different foods you'll feel like a different person. Take good care and if you have any more questions, ask.
PS Imodium is excellent to stop attacks when you're on the greens.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#205956 - 08/16/05 01:27 PM
bef113

Reged: 08/16/05

Thanks so much! I drink Gatorade almost everyday, but I hardly ever remember to take a vitamin regularly. Thanks so much for the advice!

#207271 - 08/21/05 07:00 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome to the boards....

Thank you so much Alicia for the advise given!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review