All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Whey Isolates?
      #204800 - 08/11/05 09:32 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm looking for help from those with a fitness back ground. I'm currently taking Soytein Energy Drink (w/Vanilla Silk Soy Milk) 3 times a day... my Personal Trainer asked me tonight to ask you guys on the boards what your thoughts are for someone to take Whey Isolates instead. How might it effect my IBS? I'm IBS-A (more on the C side).

My questions is...if it is safe for IBS which I'm thinking it is not since whey is a derivative of dairy, right? What benefit would the Whey Isolates have verses the Soytein?

I can then show my PT your replies...it will help her to understand why some things are ok and some are not for ME

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whey Isolates? new
      #204830 - 08/12/05 06:15 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Whey isolates are the highest protein you can get for the least amount, but I would definitely be wary because of your IBS. My fibro doc put me on an anti-fatigue powder that had whey protein in it, and it wasn't pretty the two days I took it (I'm an A as well, but lean more towards D). So I would advise against it, especially if you're sensitive to dairy.

Here's a bodybuilding website that talks about whey protein: web page

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#205323 - 08/13/05 09:26 PM
Shell Marr

bump...hoping Laurel will comment

--------------------

#205327 - 08/13/05 09:35 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hehe ok if you insist!

Yeah, I would definitely stay AWAY personally. To me, a protein shake made with whey seems no different than drinking a glass of milk and it would definitely equal an attack for me

I have read stuff about whey being the most easily absorbed though too, but I mean, my body's not going to be absorbing it too well if it just sets off my IBS... I'm IBS-D (sometimes A but definitely more towards D), but even so, my "gut" instinct (no pun intended ) would say definitely no... It IS a derivative, but it's PURE derivative, and lots of it. So it wouldn't really be the same as, say, some whey powder at the bottom of a list of ingredients. I don't know, that's just my thought. It IS possible that you could tolerate it, but I mean, you'd probably be having a lot of it - 3x a day everday, right? I think it would be kind of dangerous ground...

Have you ever considered egg (white) protein? I've read a few places that that's a pretty easily absorbed one too... I think that's what Elizabeth is or was taking and from what I remember she liked it.

In the long run, I don't worry about the different absorption rates between soy and whey too much and I still take a soy powder and am quite happy with it. Most soy powders have more carbs than most whey powders, which are often 100% protein, but I did find one (Weider brand) that was 90% protein a while back with only a few g of carbs in it. It did have artificial sweeteners and a bit of dairy dervitives in it though, but I seemed to do ok with it while I was taking it. So there definitely ARE lower carb/higher protein soy powders out there if that's what you're looking for

HTH a little!

#205331 - 08/13/05 10:19 PM
Shell Marr

Here is a post from Elizabeth that I found http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_proteinEggWhiteAll.asp

Quote:

I'm not sure if you know, but GNC's soy protein powder has sucralose (Splenda) in it. I couldn't figure out what was making me have attacks and then I read the small print on the tub. Yep, can't handle that crap.

Right now I'm using Jay Robb's Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder and it's fantastic!

--------------------

#205332 - 08/13/05 10:40 PM
Shell Marr

Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder
Serving Size: 28.3g (1 scoop)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 100
Sodium: 260mg (naturally occurring)
Total Carbohydrates: >1 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 24 g

Soytein Chocolate Protein Powder
Serving Size: 33g (1 scoop)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 110
Sodium: 130mg
Total Carbohydrates: 12 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sugars: 9 g
Protein: 14 g

--------------------

#205476 - 08/14/05 07:30 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Wow that's really intersting, thanks for posting that Shell For the record, I am now seriously considering switching to an egg white powder once this tub of soy is all gone!

#205665 - 08/15/05 03:58 PM
Shell Marr

I just requested a sample so I can see if it will work well in a shaker vs blender. http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_proteinEggWhiteAll.asp

--------------------

Edited by Shell Marr (08/17/05 01:31 PM)

Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder new
      #209757 - 08/30/05 09:59 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I just requested a sample so I can see if it will work well in a shaker vs blender. http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_proteinEggWhiteAll.asp

The Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder works great just in the shaker and tastes good too!! I recommend using it with soy or rice milk vs water.... I will be ordering this (or finding it local in the HFS....as soon as I start to run low on the other. Or, I might even just order it and use both...

--------------------

Re: Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder new
      #224431 - 11/11/05 05:44 PM
Shell Marr

Just got my 2lb container of The Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder in the mail.... I will start using it Sat morning before I workout with PT Heather!!

Quote:

Quote:

The Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder works great just in the shaker and tastes good too!! I recommend using it with soy or rice milk vs water.... I will be ordering this (or finding it local in the HFS....as soon as I start to run low on the other. Or, I might even just order it and use both...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11612

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review