All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please Please Help
      #203433 - 08/07/05 08:48 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

ok guys, I really need help. Please don't think I'm whining, I just really need some support because I think I'm going to end up slipping back into eating disorder territory.

I had an eating disorder but got it corrected pretty quickly, I was about 127lbs at my lowest weight (180 pre-ED). The weight has been slowly creeping back on and I know I've posted about this before but I've hit a real low tonight and really could use some help.

I don't want to start restricting my foods because I'll either restrict too much and get sick again, or I'll restrict just that amount that actually makes you gain. But when I try and eat enough I must be eating too much because I'm gaining.

I never used to work out at all and now I'm trying to work-out like crazy...and it's been over a month and it's not doing anything. Each week I'm increasing what I'm doing because I was out of shape so it's taking time, but it still doesn't seem to be doing anything.

So, I'd like to give you guys a breakdown of my day and see if anyone can make any suggestions because I can't handle this anymore. My bf says he'll leave me if I stop eating again but if I can't get the pounds to start going down again I don't know what I'll do. part of me knows how stupid this is but the dumb part of me is overriding the smart part

So, here's what I ate today (I don't follow the IBS diet becasue as it turns out it doesn't look like I have IBS so that's why you'll see some "bad" foods on it):
-Quaker 1/3 less sugar instant oatmeal
-2/3 banana
-chicken breast w/ mayo (not a lot of mayo)
-green beans, yellow beans and carrots
-small scoop of mashed potatoes
-mixed berry smoothie containing blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries as well as orange juice and scoop of frozen yogurt
-about 200mL of gatorade

As for working out I did 45min free weights/resistance bands with some jumping jacks in between sets and then some ab work on a resistance ball. Then I went for a 45 minute power walk.

So, how does that sound? I think maybe one of my problems is my eating schedule, my sleep schedule is all screwed up for various reasons, so I don't normally get up till noon and eat breakfast until 1:00pm, so I'm often eating my last thing of the day around midnight. Could that be the reason I can't seem to shed a pound?

Any insights/encouragement would be great. Just had a huge fight with bf about it and am so sad

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Kelly new
      #203452 - 08/07/05 10:46 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I know I am not any sort of expert, but I wanted to send you a reply so that you know I am here for you and will support you in any way I can!
I am not only not an expert on fitness, but I don't have experience with eating disorders BUT I know that stuff like this takes TIME... lots of time, in a lot of cases.
Working out is GREAT, but it's not instant results. I think I read in another post that 1/2 inch came off in some places and that is a really good start.. REALLY good! I have been working out for longer than that, and I haven't lost any inches.
It really doesn't sound like you are eating very much, especially if you are working out like crazy...

I think sleeping is really important as well, and getting into a good routine is also really important. Are the reasons that you aren't getting up until the afternoon something you can work around? If not, can you try and 'normalise' your day around the hours that you are up? Like, how people that work night shifts have the same 'day' they would otherwise have, but at night.
What about drinking? Are you making sure to get enough water throughout the day?

I'm sorry you are feeling so down about this right now, and that you are your boyfriend had a fight about it. At least he is on the side that he loves you the way you are, and doesn't want you to harm yourself by ceasing to eat... that is a much better environment than someone who is pressuring you to lose weight.
I'm sorry that things aren't going as fast as you'd like, but things will start to change but it just takes patience... and no crazy extreme measures! Remember that you will only be able to live that way for so long, and then you'll be in a bad place that you'll to work to get out of. Keeping healthy and working like you are at trying to safely lose the weight is MUCH more benefical in the long term.

Good luck, Kelly!!

**big hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Kelly it's also really important to remember.... new
      #203462 - 08/08/05 12:08 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

that muscle weighs more than fat so if you're gaining and working out so much it's possible that the gain is muscle. I don't think eating at midnight is such a great idea unless you're up for a few hours afterwards at least. If you're eating you're big dinner meal at midnight then falling straight into bed that can also make you gain, if you are try eating dinner about 10:30 so you're up for a little while after you've eaten. Good luck. I'm here for you too.

--------------------
Amy

Just curious... new
      #203559 - 08/08/05 10:35 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

if you don't have IBS what do you have?

I thought everyone who posted on the boards had IBS since it is an IBS website. I'm confused here.

Kelly, what are your symptoms and how did you determine you didn't have IBS? What do you have? I'm would love to hear some other things that may mimic IBS.

Hey Cyndy new
      #203580 - 08/08/05 11:02 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Well, for the longest time I had been diagnosed with IBS and so that's why I was here, and I "met" such wonderful people so I decided to stick around even though I don't follow the diet.

As for what I have, I have bad endometriosis which likely has attached to the bowel causing the bowel problems. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder which, when treated, seems to stop my tummy problems. It's still potentially possible I have IBS (not like there's a 100% way to be sure) but my body doesn't react like most. For example, I can eat raw fruits and veggies, dairy etc. and it doesn't cause me any problems.

Hope that helps!
Kelly

Re: Please Please Help new
      #203583 - 08/08/05 11:10 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Kelly, I'm sorry you had a fight with your bf, that sucks I'm sure he's just worried about you though. And like Stephie said, that's better than having someone pressure you to lose weight.

Amy had a good point too about the fact that you are probably gaining muscle, so the numbers on the scale probably aren't your best source of info on your progress... really, the mirror and how you feel about yourself is the best.

Don't worry about restricting foods too much or too little or whatnot... you don't need the added stress! Just eat a variety of good, healthy whole foods, stay away from junk as best you can... etc... and you'll do fine. And your diet looks good already!

About sleep, it can be REALLY difficult to lose weight or gain weight or get healthy (or whatever you're trying to do by changing your diet) when you're not on a regular 'routine', particularly when it comes to sleep. Your body makes changes during rest, and that rest is necessary for all goals. It's not so much the TIME - i.e. like Stephie said when you work nights (like me ) you can get on a regular day schedule, just at night. Also if you're worried about eating at night, that's not really a big issue in my mind. Your body is going to use the energy no matter what; what your body really wants is to be fed when it needs energy, so particularly that's before and after activity, especially before. Basically, you need energy to do that activity. Some people rationalize that since you're just going to be sleeping, you don't need to eat to have energy to sleep. But that's a bit of oversimplification in my mind. It's probably a good idea to have your last meal a few hours before you go to bed, or to just watch that you're only eating whole, healthy foods and no processed junk at night. Personally I eat right before I hit the sack but that's very IBS-prevention-related and not at all fitness related.

Anyway, I'm pretty worried about you. I don't have any *real* ED history, just some "dangerous behaviour" but I know how easy it can be to slip from counting calories and obsessing over diet/exercise etc. into really unhealthy extreme bevhaviour. Please take care of yourself. And know that you ARE making good progress - 1/2 an inch is really great. If the numbers on the scale haven't moved then think about it this way: since you're losing INCHES, you HAVE lost fat, but since your actual WEIGHT hasn't changed you HAVE gained muscle! So in other words, you're doing really really well! And yep, it does take time. Studies have shown that the faster you lose weight, the more likely you are to gain it back. So slow and steady really does win the race in this regard

Lots of hugs! If you want to chat about anything anytime, feel free to email me (in my profile).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2899

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review