All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When Will Inches Comes Off
      #201274 - 07/31/05 10:06 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Ok, so I've only recently started really trying to "work out" again...I go for 45-60min power walks a day and do weight/resistance training every other day. The weights are a new thing, I used to only ever do cardio but I want to try and get toned. I've been measuring myself for the last three weeks (upper arms, thighs, calves, waist and hips) and have noticed very little change, maybe a 1/2 inch in each spot tops. Does that seem normal? I'm afraid I'm not working out hard enough or I'm not dropping enough calories.

Thanks,
Kelly

P.S. Can someone tell me a really good exercise to done and slim calves? I have the largest calves (totally disproportinate to the rest of my body) and don't know what to do for them

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When Will Inches Comes Off new
      #201289 - 08/01/05 12:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you have a look for Alicia's posts when she first started trying to lose, you'll see she was getting really depressed by not losing - and then the weight just suddenly started to slide off! Give it time.

Fraid I can't help on the calves - I have the same issue but don't fuss about it. I don't know how to get less muscle there w/out losing it elsewhere. Tho less running and more swimming/upper body cardio would probably help.

#201489 - 08/01/05 03:14 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi again Kelly

Like Linz said, give it time. 1/2 an inch is actually pretty good for just getting started. Good for you for doing so much exercise, but make sure you're watching what you eat also if you want to lose weight. Not just calories - since you're exercising more you probably need more calories, and if you're not eating more than you were before, you already have a calorie deficit - make sure you're eating WELL too, i.e. not much junk, lots of good healthy food etc.

Re: calves - losing a bit of weight will almost certainly make them appear smaller. If it's primarily the *muscle* that you feel is too big then just don't do anything lol Any kind of exercise you do with it is just going to make the muscle bigger, so just leave it alone for a while and build up your other muscles. Cardio that involves legs such as running, and particularly any kind of plymetrics exercises (i.e try ending your runs with a few jumps, just squat deep and jump explosively up) will assist with slimming down the legs - calves included

HTH

#201492 - 08/01/05 03:17 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

It's actually not muscle (or at least I don't think)...they seem to be very fatty. For example, I lost 50lbs last summer and I swear, they're the only part of my body that didn't change size. At the time I was hospitalized, my calves were practically the same size as my thighs.

I've asked my doctor about it but I don't get much help. I know that's where most of my weight seems to be going...I weight about 140lb but don't look it in most of my body (or so I'm told) but when people see my calves they understand. Maybe plastic surgery would be the only option??? It's just so frustrating! If it is fat, then building muscle should help right? Or will they just stay the same size but be more fit?

Thanks,
Kelly

Spot reduction... new
      #201602 - 08/01/05 11:25 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I posted a reply to Jenny not that long ago that answers this question pretty well... she was asking about her triceps though, so anywhere you see 'triceps' just read 'calves' - the same pretty much goes Here's that post: web page

HTH

Edited by retrograde (08/01/05 11:25 PM)

#201716 - 08/02/05 09:05 AM
gracipie

Reged: 07/26/05

For slimming bulky muscle (like calves), try a ballet barre-type workout like: Callanetics, The Bar Method, or The Lotte Burke Method. I'm just starting these but the reviews on Amazon.com are great! People say these stretching/contraction exercises really create a lean, tone body quickly.
So far it's helping greatly with my flexibility and is sooooo relaxing

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review