Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Resistance Band Training?
      #201273 - 07/31/05 10:04 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on resistance band training. I just got some Bally Fitness Resistance bands and it came with a set of exercises and they seem pretty good...I actually find it harder than the free weights I do although I don't do very heavy free weights Do you guys think they're a good exercise?

Also, there's one that is a tricep extension that I just can't figure out...if anyone knows how to do that and could walk me through it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Resistance Band Training? new
      #201487 - 08/01/05 03:09 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Kelly,

REsistance bands have both benefits and limitations. The biggest benefit is that they're super convenient and cheap compared to other training options like buying dumbbells or a gym membership. However they are limited in what they can do for you - training with weights is definitely superior. Bands are really great for maintaining your muscle (i.e. muscle loss from age or because you need to be away from the gym for a while - they're *really* great for travelling), but they're not going to do much if you're trying to build muscle. A combination of bands and weights though might be a good option if available. I have a band that I use at home, but just for exercising my rotator cuff when I injured it

Re: triceps exercises, I think there are two basic kinds you can do with bands, an extension and a pushdown. For the extension (aka french press)you'd be pulling the band from behind your head, and for the pushdown you'd be, well, pushing the band down in front of you. Here are some pics: tricep extension & tricep pushdown. HTH!

#201490 - 08/01/05 03:14 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks Laurel!

I'll keep plugging away...I'm just pretty weak right now so I thought the bands might be a better way to start as opposed to the weights. I do have free weights but only 2lbs and 5lbs and I can barely do the exercises with the 5lbs

BTW, do you belong to a gym? You are in London right? I'd love a good gym recommendation...can't afford to join right now but I'd love to down the road.

Thanks,
Kelly

#201604 - 08/01/05 11:31 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

No problem Kelly

re: gym, yes right now I belong to GoodLife... however I'm quitting at the end of the summer, haha. But only because I can't really afford it any more and when I go back to school I can workout for free at Western's gym. I would recommend Goodlife though; pretty standard membership prices (though sometimes they have some neat deals) and there are lots of locations in London so it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for - i.e. there are 2 all-women's gyms (and some of the other locations have 'women-only' sections of the gym). Some of the smaller ones are not busy at all, and never have any of those annoying musclehead guys who spend 20 mins posing the mirrors lol I used to go to the one in northern London on Adelaide up by Windermere and it was nice and small, never crowded, if a little limited in the weight room. GoodLife has lots of good group exercise classes too if you're into that... I think you can view some location info at www.goodlifefitness.com...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review