Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ouch! Knee Pain from strength exercises
      #200676 - 07/28/05 08:05 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Ok, so I've been trying really hard to get myself back into shape after being sick and inactive for so long. As some of you will know from my previous posts, I have been walking long distances regularily for about 2 months, and have just started attempting to run.

I also wanted to do some strength training, specifically things to focus on belly and legs (probably areas). I saw what I thought looked like a good workout in Cosmo, and I gave it a try. It involves mostly things like squatting, ballet lunges etc. with the use of small handweights (3 lbs) and also uses an exercise ball for some of the exercises.

Anyways, I know I lost a lot of muscle mass when I wasn't eating, but I found this to be nearly impossible! My thighs/knees were screaming in pain the whole time, and I could barely squeak out 10 reps.

Does anyone have any advice? I've always had mild knee probelms and used to wear orthotics, so I figure maybe I need them again. But if it really hurts, does that mean don't do it...or do I subscribe to the "no pain, no gain" theory?

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ouch! Knee Pain from strength exercises new
      #200703 - 07/28/05 09:44 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yeah my knees can be pretty bad too... With the muscles - no pain, no gain, for sure. But when it comes to joints you have to be really careful. You could be headed for a knee injury, which you DON'T want! It doesn't necessarily mean don't do the exercises, it just means a) make extra-sure that you're using good form (particularly on squats, make sure that your knees are going out in the same direction that your toes are pointing, and b) if it hurts (like injury-type hurt - make sure you can tell the difference between a muscle burn and a joint pain - you probably can but just in case ) stop and rest the area for a few days. Icing it helps. So do lighter strength exercises to work up the muuscles in the quads (thighs) which support the knees.

Also, when I'm squatting heavy I usually wear a knee-brace, just a thickish nylon thing I picked up at the drug store. That seems to help.

Here's a really good page on working with knee pain with lots of tips and such: web page HTH!

Re: Ouch! Knee Pain from strength exercises new
      #200709 - 07/28/05 10:28 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

THanks for the info Laurel You know what? I've never been an avid exerciser and so am really just getting started, and I don't know how to tell the difference between joint and muscle pain, it's all just pain to me! I would assume that pain in the knees is joint pain but I don't know...maybe there are muscles around the knees that could cause the knees to hurt?

Could you give me an idea of how to tell? I wish I could afford even just a few sessions with a personal trainer so I could figure this out, but that won't be happening any time soon.

Thanks again,
Kelly

Personally... new
      #200718 - 07/28/05 11:05 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

when I'm experiencing "knee" pain, it's more of a dull ache. If your muscles are sore from squats, it should be more in your quads area, possibly inner thigh---not around the knee. I have mild knee problems too, and I wear a knee brace on BOTH knees when I run (ugh, it's hot!), and am trying very hard to strengthen the muscles around my knees. So far, so good. One thing I do: Lay down on your back, legs straight out, tilt your right foot slightly outward and lift the leg straight up. If you do it right, you should kind of feel it along the inner thigh, down towards the knee. I'm to the point now where I wear ankle weights when I do it, I think around 12. It's really helped. My orthopedic doctor said a lot of women have the problem where their outer thigh has more muscle than their inner thigh, which can lead to tracking problems and other knee problems. So take it seriously--watch your form!

--------------------

You need to strengthen your knees... new
      #200731 - 07/29/05 03:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...or working out could really hurt you. Try these...

Siting on the floor with your legs stretched out straight in front of you, do 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg (or work up to that) of each of the following :

1. Tense a knee so your knee cap moves up your leg and your heel is lifted about an inch off the floor. Hold for 5 and then release.

2. Tense your knee and lift your heel about 6 inches off the floor. Hold for 5 and then release.

3. Rotate your foot outwards, tense your knee and lift it about an inch off the floor. Hold for 5 and then release.

My docs thought my knee pains were due to weak knees for years (actually Fibro) so they had me doing all sorts of physio. These really helped even tho that wasn't actually my problem - they're great prep exercises for skiing too!

muscle vs joint pain... new
      #200787 - 07/29/05 08:26 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yeah just want Ginger said - if the pain is kind of achey and stiff just above your knee and throughout your thigh, that's muscle pain. But if it's definitely right on/around you're knee, it's almost certainly the joint. The way I think of it is this: when my knees are hurting, it's kind of like if it hurt much more I'd be limping, whereas when I'm just (msucle) sore from squatting, my legs are sore but I'm not going to be limping any time soon, it's more just an all-over ache... does that make any sense? Women have more problems with their knees generally, mostly because of the shape of our bodies (we have bigger hips, and then that kind of tapers down, putting pressure on the knees). hth

Kelly... new
      #200911 - 07/29/05 01:43 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

i was writing you an e-mail and I checked to send it to yo and I don't have your e-mail addy saved in my on-line addy book Could you send me an e-mail so I can send you one

Hope you're doing great...and I'm proud of you for exercising and taking care of yourself *hugs*
Love, Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2412

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review