Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Toning with Weights and Diet Tips
      #199866 - 07/27/05 09:06 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Excerpted from ExRx.net (link)

Quote:

Toning with Weights

The combination of weight training, aerobic exercise and sound eating habits have shown to be the most effective for fat loss and toning. Toning is simply the simultaneous decrease of fat and restoration of muscle. Every year after the age of 25, the average American gains one pound of body weight yet loses one third to one half pound of muscle. Consequently, our resting metabolism decreases approximately one half of a percent every year. Proper exercise and sound eating habits can reverse this process.

While aerobic exercise burns fat during exercise, anaerobic exercises, like weight training or sprints (such as high intensity interval training), utilize fat hours after exercise. Weight training can also increase the metabolic rate a second way. It restores muscle tissue that had been lost over the years from a sedentary modern life-style, thus improving the aesthetics of the body by accentuating its curves and shape. Furthermore, one pound of muscle burns approximately 30-50 Calories per day. In contrast, a pound of fat only burns about three Calories per day. This may not seem significant considering one pound of fat contains 3500 Calories. Although, over the course of years, it adds up.

Weight training exercises that use large muscle groups (e.g. Gluteus Maximus, Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Chest, and Back exercises) with a progressively greater resistance have the most potential for restoring lean body weight and raising the metabolism hours after exercise.

Most people do not have to be worried about getting too big when training with weights. Evidence suggests that less than 20 percent of men and very few women can develop large muscles even if they wanted to, regardless what program they follow. Bodybuilders seen on TV typically, have trained for years, poses a certain degree of genetics, and most likely, have used anabolic steroids sometime in their careers.

When beginning an exercise program, muscle mass increases may initially out pace fat loss, resulting in a very small temporary weight gain. When exercise can be increased over time, more significant fat loss can occur. Unless an exerciser is highly motivated, actual weight loss (i.e. as numbers on the scale, as opposed to simply fat loss, which is visible or can be mesaured through a body composition test) is usually only seen with particular dietary improvements.

Excerpted from ExRx.net (link)

Quote:

Dietary Guidelines

Eat small meals every 2.5 to 4 hours or eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks distributed throughout the day
- Eat 3 food groups every meal
- Eat 2 food groups every snack

Plan meals around moderate or intense exercise
- Plan snack or meal 1 to 2 hours before
- Eat high carbohydrates meal very soon after exercise: carbohydrates and quality proteins in approximately a 4:1 ratio, 10 – 20% of total daily caloric intake

Eat protein and carbohydrates every meal or snack

Eat lower fat Meat or Meat Substitute or Milk every meal or snack

Eat Starch or Fruit every meal or snack

Combine foods to compliment proteins (optimizes amino acid ratio)
- Eat legumes (beans, peas, lentils, peanuts) with grains, seeds, or nuts
- Eat grains with milk or cheese.

Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables daily

Eat vitamin C rich foods
- At least 1 serving a day
- Citrus fruit, tomatoes, fresh melons, strawberries

Eat cruciferous vegetables (cabbage family)
- At least 3 servings per week
- Cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, cauliflower

Eat vitamin A rich foods
- At least 1 serving every other day
- Dark leafy greens, and dark yellow foods

Eat foods with fiber
- whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and legumes (beans, peas, lentils)

Eat calcium rich foods
- Milk, yogurt, cheese
- Green leafy vegetables, tofu, canned salmon, sardines, or jack mackerel (with tiny bone particles), figs, almonds.

Make lower fat and healthier fat choices
- Cook with little or no oil
- Roast, bake, broil, grill, poach, steam, or boil instead of frying

Keep saturated fat intake low
- Eat leaner meats or meat substitutes
- Remove skin from poultry
- Lower fat milk and yogurt
- Choose lower fat snacks
- Limit hydrogenated fat (used in products to increase shelf life)

Consume moderate poly-unsaturated and mono-unsaturated fats
- nuts, olive oil, salad dressing, mayonnaise

Limit refined foods
- White bread and cereals, soda pop, sweets, alcohol
- Eat whole foods whenever possible

Limit cured and smoked products
- salt-cured, smoked, nitrite cured foods

Eat a variety of foods from each food group every day
- Try new foods

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Toning with Weights and Diet Tips new
      #200097 - 07/27/05 02:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Back to the weights not giving you big arms issue: I was at a hotel this weekend and each day I exercised with a mom and 2 teenage daughters. They did treadmill or eliptical and I did bike and then they lifted weights after (I did mine first- correctly). I could hardly stand watching them lift as they did tiny weights super fast reps! It does no good at all. I wanted to say something but thought it was not the thing to do. Nevertheless it bugged the crap out of me!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#200103 - 07/27/05 02:49 PM
mporres

Reged: 07/27/05

Thank you so much for all that information. It was very helpful.

#200109 - 07/27/05 03:10 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Tamara-
what's the best thing to do to tone upper arms? What size weights and how many reps. I need to look good in my wedding dress!

Thanks

Sinéad

--------------------
S.

#200153 - 07/27/05 05:28 PM
Little Minnie

Well I can't tell you the absolute best but I can tell you some simple things I do. I have 3#, 5#, ?# for curls and a bench press at ?#. I use the 3# for shoulders (standing with feet shoulderwidth apart, raise the weights from your side to straight out and do it really slow). The 5# I use for triceps and chest. Lay on a bench hold weights above your chest and drop arms like a giant hug. It might be too hard to go until arms are straight. Next put the weights by your ears sort of and go up and down behind your head. Just do it slowly and where you feel the stress on your triceps. I like to hold my arms straight almost even with the floor and hold it. Next take one weight in right hand and put left knee on the bench, your right leg is on the floor and you are bent over. Raise the weight behind you slowly until it is parallel with the floor and hold it if possible. So the weight starts hanging just under the side of the bench and ends in the air with arm parallel to the floor. Repeat with left arm and right knee on bench. Then do curls to tone bicep if desired, sit down and take a weight (not sure the weight it needs to be but maybe 10-12#?). Spread out legs. Drop hand close to foot and curl hand up to shoulder. You should be able to do 8-10 in a set of this if the weight is heavy enough- 8-10 should make you exhausted so to speak. The other lower weights should be 15 reps and all should be 3 sets. That is what to do to make it work. If you want to bench press use a weight that you can lift about 5-10 times in a row and lift up with arms almost straight and then bring it down to nipple level and back up. This can be done with 2 heavy hand weights- lay on back and put weights straight up with thumbs together and then bring down to your chest at nippple level. Repeat around 8 times and that should be to exhaustion it you want results. I hope this makes sense!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Little pink weights! new
      #200162 - 07/27/05 05:49 PM
retrograde

Tamara that is probably one of my biggest pet peeves too! I go to an all-women's gym right now and unfortunately that's pretty much all it is there - it seems that anyone who's lifting weights is lifting really really light, really really fast for really really high reps. I just want to scream at them - do you realize that you're totally wasting your time with that!!!??! lol

Meanwhile I'm off in the corner doing heavy compound lifts with the barbells and dumbbells, breaking a sweat, probably grunting now and then Haha...

Glad you found it useful! -nt- new
      #200163 - 07/27/05 05:49 PM
retrograde

Sinead - arms exercises... new
      #200167 - 07/27/05 06:06 PM
retrograde

Butting in, hope you don't mind

If you can get your hands on some dumbbells - heavy enough so that you can push out just about 10-12 reps before failure (i.e. you can't possibly do any more) then these are some great arms exercises:

(try not to be turned off by the hairy guy in the pics doing the exercises..lol... these exercises will not make you look like him, hah! )

Biceps
dumbbell curl
preacher curl
hammer curl

Triceps
tricep extension (you can also do it lying down)

Shoulders - the top of the side of your arm is your lateral deltoid (part of the shoulder muscle). This part looks really great when it's developed on women - it's the muscle (in addition to the front delts) that really makes Madonna's arms 'pop'.
seated shouder press
front raise
lateral raise
(if you want a killer shoulder workout, try supersetting those three exercises together - do 10 reps of the press, followed immediately by 10 reps of each of the two raises. Rest for about 30 seconds, then repeat.)

HTH!

Re: Sinead - arms exercises... new
      #200191 - 07/27/05 07:06 PM
Little Minnie

Yep excellent little videos to show how it is done! I recommend seated bicep curls though -standing can hurt your lower back (take it from DH who curls 90#).
The lying down tricep exercise is the one I was attempting to describe. Also the lateral raise is another one I attempted to describe. They actually look different when a big man does them. It is more smooth and refined when a lady does them!

--------------------

another thing new
      #200192 - 07/27/05 07:10 PM
Little Minnie

See the way she is doing bicep curls- it is better to spread legs further and stick your elbow midthigh, drop weight gently down toward foot and then bring up. You end up being hunched over but this actually is better for your back from what I hear anyway and it really isolates the muscle.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review