Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Am I Running Wrong?
      #199321 - 07/25/05 09:57 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I don't know if there is a "wrong" way to run, but if there is, I think I'm doing it. I took the wonderful advice I got from here and have started to try and run, I just do short spurts while I'm out walking and have been trying to increase how much I run.

The thing is, my feet, knees and thighs end up just screaming in pain, both during and after I run. And my bf saw me running the other day and he says it looks like I'm running flat-footed (which apparently isn't right).

Can anyone give me some tips? I hurt myself so bad today I think I'll be totally out of commission tomorrow, and I hate having to go days without exercising

Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Am I Running Wrong? new
      #199382 - 07/26/05 08:13 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'm not sure if you can diagnose your own running issues. You kinda need someone to look at you and tell you if you're overpronating, or whatever. What kind of shoes are you running in? It could be as simple as you're running in shoes without adequate spring and arch support. How new are the shoes?

If they're old, or not meant for running, if you go to a really good professional running store, often the people there can check your gait, see your problems, and recommend a pair of shoes that will work to correct those problems.

Re: Am I Running Wrong? new
      #199388 - 07/26/05 08:20 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I was going to say shoes too. Some people (like moi) naturally have really flat or 'overpronated' feet, while some people 'underpronate' and have really high arches. When it comes to running, which puts a lot of stress on the feet, knees and ankles, good shoes that are well suited to your foot type are important.

I second the idea of heading to a running store to check out shoes and look for advice - I think the Running Room in London is probably a really good place to go for that.

However if none of that works and you're still getting a lot of joint pain from running, you may consider trying something else for cardio that's easier on the joints, because running can be pretty tough on the knees and stuff if you already have weak joints. You could try biking or if you have access to a gym there are other machines you could use like an ellipitical trainer that are easier on the joints. BUT don't give up on running before you've made sure you're doing it with good form and the right equipment! Personally I think running outdoors is way better for your brain than sweating away on a cardio machine ever would be HTH!

I agree new
      #199413 - 07/26/05 09:11 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I actually run with arch supports, and get new shoes frequently. It helps my feet and my knees. Also, my orthopedic doctor told me to make sure the muscles around my knees were strong to support my knees while running, so I'm trying to do more weights and things like that. Cause if your legs are weak and you try doing too much, it can hurt your knees. But good shoes and foot support should be step #1.

--------------------

Thanks Guys...and a question about shoes new
      #199665 - 07/26/05 07:20 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks for all your replies I think it may be the shoes as well, I was just wearing plain adidas shoes...the white ones with the three dark blue stripes...which are my fave shoes but don't have much support. Plus, when I was younger (and more fit and involved in sports) my doctor had my wearing orthotics because I have no arch support and it was causing knee trouble...probably should have thought about that before trying to run again.

So, I dug out my old "athletic" shoes and they're Nike Air Max...they're probably easily 7 years old but have barely been worn...would they be ok? They feel like they've got good support but I'm sure shoes have come a long way since then.

And Laurel, it's funny you mentioned the Running Room, I was actually just on their website reading about their "Learn to Run" clinics...but my bf basically said he'd kill me if I spent $100 learning to run

Re: Thanks Guys...and a question about shoes new
      #199705 - 07/26/05 10:25 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hehe... yikes $100 would be quite a lot to learn to run lol I've never actually been into the one in London but I know some of their locations actually have a treadmill up front that they have you run on when you're trying out shoes to see how they fit/feel/work etc. Even if you think your current shoes are going to be ok for you, you could always go in and just try on a few pairs, and very likely get some tips on your running technique in the process... worth a try anyway!

#199737 - 07/27/05 05:32 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I would say to give the old running shoes a chance, and if you're still experiencing pain to go in. But I'm cheap.

#199797 - 07/27/05 07:51 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I run with addidas shoes with blue stripes---but they were $90, and have really good support and a wide foot box (per my podiatrist's instructions), and when I first got them I felt like I was walking on pillows. I wore them all day. Now I only wear them to run, so they last longer.
But try yours a few times. If it doesn't work, it really does help to go to a store when they can help you pick the right shoe for your foot.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3619

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review