All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
mostly vegan evilsugar advice
      #197065 - 07/19/05 12:14 AM
funDiva Christy

Reged: 07/09/05
Loc: Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada

OK I am looking for help and do not want to offend anyone!

It took a long time for me to figure out that having D 3-4 times a week was not normal and start looking for answers. I fell in love with the ideals of Dr Joel Fuhrmans Eat to Live plan. But big salads were obviously horrible for IBS. So I was about disgusted when I read both of Heathers books and she talked about eating white flour & sugar. I realize that for most people all the triggers to be given up are huge, but for me, adding back flour & sugar seemed like backsliding.

Heathers plan does work, I am just having some trouble finding a balance of what works to control IBS and what I have grown to believe is healthy.

When I started Fuhrmans plan I lost 15 lbs but was miserably sick and I still want to lose another 20-25 lbs. So even though my IBS is stable from careful eating, I'm stuck at 130 lbs (I was 110 until 3 years ago)

Is anyone posting daily food logs who doesn't eat sugar, is vegan and/or focused on eating fruits & veggies mostly? Maybe seeing a few days worth of food would help.

I can post mine too if thats better except I allowed some things I would have rather not, in the interest of not being sick anymore, and now I think that was silly, but I felt overwhelmed at first.

And eating several times a day is just foreign to me, I would probably have to plan my mealtimes when I woke up & set a timer.

I have been mostly symptom free 10 days, I had a verrry well blended apple (vitamixed 5 minutes!) with peel in my smoothy today as an experiment and had very mild D about 7-8 hours later. Dont know if related & will wait a few days before trying again. Oh but I feel wasteful peeling an
apple!
Christy

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mostly vegan evilsugar advice new
      #197067 - 07/19/05 12:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I try and avoid sugar (don't always do it very well tho esp at,!). That shouldn't be an issue, but eating too much IF before you're stable is.

Are you okay with the idea of eating white rice and potatoes? B/c you can always limit the amount of white flour you eat by sticking to the other SF basics.

Well..... new
      #197182 - 07/19/05 08:59 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Im probably not the best person to post this as Ive had d daily for a week now, but I have been VERY stable in the past too following heathers diet and for a long time the idea of eating lots of sugary carbs and not having an attack was like heaven to me...Im 20 and a student....until recently that was when I put on a stone in about 2 months after adding chocolate back into my diet without attacks successfully and then when I realised just how chubby I was getting I decided enough was enough. I have spent the last 6 weeks or so on this weightlossforidiots diet which has been 4 healthy meals a day(mostly ibs safe apart from raw veggies) and I was taking digestive enzymes to help the raw foods digest better. I had a rough first week but after that I stabilised and my tummy was fine and I LOST that stone, well most of it anyways....think to date its 12lbs! Anyways....my mum bought a detox video about 2 weeks ago and me being health conscious and interested in stuff like that decided to watch it and was very impressed. So now I am into day 5 of my 30 day detox and luckily you can follow it and stick to healthers diet. I think I may have overdone it on nuts and seeds tho and so hence the d. Im gona try and reduce that over the next week and see how I go....1st weeks on detox are meant to be a bit bad anyways, hopefully it will ease.

To get the point....sorry for rambling but theres loads of recipes in my detox books which are sugar free, wheat free, dairy free and all that....this is a vegan detox, no eggs, meat fish allowed. I'll try and start posting some of the recipes on the recipe board for you if you're interested. Theyre gorgeous aswell....and theres even sweet terats like apple and blackberry crumble with honey and apple and walnut cake which allows you to add nuts and fruit in with soluble fibre like heather says.

Can you get rice and millet pasta or corn pasta where you are?? Rice noodles?? Theres loads of healthy alternatives to white flour these days. If you want any of my recipes email me(email in my profile) and I'll send you some....Im gona start reporting in again soon anyways so you might get some ideas from what Im eating daily. Hope thats a bit of a help!

--------------------
Natalie

#197225 - 07/19/05 10:05 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wind/Kate is vegan and doesn't eat much sugar and posts in the IBS Fitness Room daily. I am not posting much but I don't TOUCH sugar and I eat fish occasionaly (though I may have o stop altogether cause it hurts my tummy). I also don't eat dairy, gluten, or cucumbers.

Are you C, D, or A?

I am C. I juice a LOT of stuff in my juicer, puree stuff, and eat lots of baby food! I eat egg whites (you might not...?) I eat beans, nuts and saeeds and their butters (like almond butter), rice cakes, rice pasta, Imagine Soups, and Gluten Free pizza....yummers!

For some of Kate's recipes...do a search for Kate/Wind recipes and see what comes up...or just post to her in the Fitness Room.

Good for you for being so healthy!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#197227 - 07/19/05 10:05 AM
Snow for Sarala

Wind/Kate is vegan and doesn't eat much sugar and posts in the IBS Fitness Room daily. I am not posting much but I don't TOUCH sugar and I eat fish occasionaly (though I may have to stop altogether cause it hurts my tummy). I also don't eat dairy, gluten, or cucumbers.

Are you C, D, or A?

I am C. I juice a LOT of stuff in my juicer, puree stuff, and eat lots of baby food! I eat egg whites (you might not...?) I eat beans, nuts and saeeds and their butters (like almond butter), rice cakes, rice pasta, Imagine Soups, and Gluten Free pizza....yummers!

For some of Kate's recipes...do a search for Kate/Wind recipes and see what comes up...or just post to her here in the Fitness Room.

Good for you for being so healthy!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Natalie! new
      #197229 - 07/19/05 10:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Please post your recipes! I'm always looking for new ideas....

What is the name of the detox...sounds fabulous!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing more...

*hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#197230 - 07/19/05 10:09 AM
funDiva Christy

I was not interested in trying white rice so I started with slow cooked long grain brown rice and have had no problems with it. I actually like it plain, I do add a little extra water so its a bit creamy. I don't like how time consuming cooking can be so I made a big batch and used it for a few days. I've been having it with steamed veggies, mushroom, onion, eggplant, zuchinni. Or I use ramen noodles (no packet of course!) which I like better and is enriched wheat flour, so bran removed I think

I haven't had potatoes in forever, but I got some reds and boiled them, finally another use for my butter buds (other than artichoke)

I also got mashed potato flakes for a 1 minute fix if I forget to eat and want to make sure I have something safe, hot and fast.

I think some of the problem is lazyness, for cooking AND shopping, thank goodness I am close to Whole Foods
fd

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

Re: Natalie! new
      #197238 - 07/19/05 10:18 AM
funDiva Christy

yes Natalie I second the motion to post your recipes!

I'm too cheap to do rice noodles! Although I love them and it was challenging to find them made w/ brown rice. I can get 36 ramen packets at Sam's for $3.50 so my frugal practicality overcame my healthyness!

I'm just mad at myself for buying Nilla Wafers. They sorta taste like cardboard & are so hard so I soak them in tea.

If I was gonna cheat and do white flour I coulda at least gotten Lorna Doones. Mmmmm, Lorna Doones, ahlalhalha (Homer drool)

--------------------

laziness new
      #197241 - 07/19/05 10:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

Some days, I'm so lazy I forget to eat! So I hear ya there!

Do you have a juicer, blender, food processor?

I wake up in the AM, stick my veggies and the occasional apple in the juicer and voila! If I'm super hungry I sautee onions in a bit of oil and add egg whites with plain tomato sauce and some garlic powder and maybe some basil. The stuff pretty much cooks itself I just check it now and then and flip the eggs (I make omelettes) when ready.

I eat gobs and gobs of baby food. I stick some pumkin seeds in the jar. I also eat rice cakes with nut butters for a quick snack--just a bit of the butters or it can upset your tummy!

Pureed fruits are delicious! And for a special treat...stick em in the freezer for an hour or two for a slushie effect!

I make my own beans. I soak em for a day and a night, rinse, and then cook from morning till suppertime in a crockpot. Not much involved if you can mnage a bit of cooking. I just add garlic powder and sea satl to the beans...they taste soooo yummy even hubby (meat eating hubby) thought they were yum!

Brown rice pasta. So easy. Stick it in the pot like regular pasta...sooo nutritious too! (Sounds like you already do this though!!)

I LOVE squashes boiled and I love Kate's Zuccini and Sweet potato Unfries (search for recipe...sorry I am no good with links ). I also like to roast veggies. I just cut em up and add some PAM with some sea salt and stick in the oven for 40 mins or so...checking to make sure they're soft. Roast on 375 or 400 depending how hot your oven gets. Mix with brown rice...gourmet!

Once you figure out what you do/don't like...you just waltz down the aisles knowing what you need. (I'm ADD so I don't know if I'll EVER do that...maybe on a hyperfocused day )

Hope this helps some...let us know how you do! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

something sweet new
      #197246 - 07/19/05 10:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

If you really have to have something sweet, try Pamela's cookies. They're GF and made with honey and molasses for sweetners and perhaps some evaporated cane juice...but they're pretty healthy and SO TASTY--I miss em--sigh--(but they are dairy and not low fat!) They dont upset my tummy (but the dairy gives me a high and upsets my sinuses!!!)

Just a thought

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15888

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review