All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
mostly vegan evilsugar advice
      #197065 - 07/19/05 12:14 AM
funDiva Christy

Reged: 07/09/05
Loc: Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada

OK I am looking for help and do not want to offend anyone!

It took a long time for me to figure out that having D 3-4 times a week was not normal and start looking for answers. I fell in love with the ideals of Dr Joel Fuhrmans Eat to Live plan. But big salads were obviously horrible for IBS. So I was about disgusted when I read both of Heathers books and she talked about eating white flour & sugar. I realize that for most people all the triggers to be given up are huge, but for me, adding back flour & sugar seemed like backsliding.

Heathers plan does work, I am just having some trouble finding a balance of what works to control IBS and what I have grown to believe is healthy.

When I started Fuhrmans plan I lost 15 lbs but was miserably sick and I still want to lose another 20-25 lbs. So even though my IBS is stable from careful eating, I'm stuck at 130 lbs (I was 110 until 3 years ago)

Is anyone posting daily food logs who doesn't eat sugar, is vegan and/or focused on eating fruits & veggies mostly? Maybe seeing a few days worth of food would help.

I can post mine too if thats better except I allowed some things I would have rather not, in the interest of not being sick anymore, and now I think that was silly, but I felt overwhelmed at first.

And eating several times a day is just foreign to me, I would probably have to plan my mealtimes when I woke up & set a timer.

I have been mostly symptom free 10 days, I had a verrry well blended apple (vitamixed 5 minutes!) with peel in my smoothy today as an experiment and had very mild D about 7-8 hours later. Dont know if related & will wait a few days before trying again. Oh but I feel wasteful peeling an
apple!
Christy

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mostly vegan evilsugar advice new
      #197067 - 07/19/05 12:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I try and avoid sugar (don't always do it very well tho esp at,!). That shouldn't be an issue, but eating too much IF before you're stable is.

Are you okay with the idea of eating white rice and potatoes? B/c you can always limit the amount of white flour you eat by sticking to the other SF basics.

Well..... new
      #197182 - 07/19/05 08:59 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Im probably not the best person to post this as Ive had d daily for a week now, but I have been VERY stable in the past too following heathers diet and for a long time the idea of eating lots of sugary carbs and not having an attack was like heaven to me...Im 20 and a student....until recently that was when I put on a stone in about 2 months after adding chocolate back into my diet without attacks successfully and then when I realised just how chubby I was getting I decided enough was enough. I have spent the last 6 weeks or so on this weightlossforidiots diet which has been 4 healthy meals a day(mostly ibs safe apart from raw veggies) and I was taking digestive enzymes to help the raw foods digest better. I had a rough first week but after that I stabilised and my tummy was fine and I LOST that stone, well most of it anyways....think to date its 12lbs! Anyways....my mum bought a detox video about 2 weeks ago and me being health conscious and interested in stuff like that decided to watch it and was very impressed. So now I am into day 5 of my 30 day detox and luckily you can follow it and stick to healthers diet. I think I may have overdone it on nuts and seeds tho and so hence the d. Im gona try and reduce that over the next week and see how I go....1st weeks on detox are meant to be a bit bad anyways, hopefully it will ease.

To get the point....sorry for rambling but theres loads of recipes in my detox books which are sugar free, wheat free, dairy free and all that....this is a vegan detox, no eggs, meat fish allowed. I'll try and start posting some of the recipes on the recipe board for you if you're interested. Theyre gorgeous aswell....and theres even sweet terats like apple and blackberry crumble with honey and apple and walnut cake which allows you to add nuts and fruit in with soluble fibre like heather says.

Can you get rice and millet pasta or corn pasta where you are?? Rice noodles?? Theres loads of healthy alternatives to white flour these days. If you want any of my recipes email me(email in my profile) and I'll send you some....Im gona start reporting in again soon anyways so you might get some ideas from what Im eating daily. Hope thats a bit of a help!

--------------------
Natalie

#197225 - 07/19/05 10:05 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wind/Kate is vegan and doesn't eat much sugar and posts in the IBS Fitness Room daily. I am not posting much but I don't TOUCH sugar and I eat fish occasionaly (though I may have o stop altogether cause it hurts my tummy). I also don't eat dairy, gluten, or cucumbers.

Are you C, D, or A?

I am C. I juice a LOT of stuff in my juicer, puree stuff, and eat lots of baby food! I eat egg whites (you might not...?) I eat beans, nuts and saeeds and their butters (like almond butter), rice cakes, rice pasta, Imagine Soups, and Gluten Free pizza....yummers!

For some of Kate's recipes...do a search for Kate/Wind recipes and see what comes up...or just post to her in the Fitness Room.

Good for you for being so healthy!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#197227 - 07/19/05 10:05 AM
Snow for Sarala

Wind/Kate is vegan and doesn't eat much sugar and posts in the IBS Fitness Room daily. I am not posting much but I don't TOUCH sugar and I eat fish occasionaly (though I may have to stop altogether cause it hurts my tummy). I also don't eat dairy, gluten, or cucumbers.

Are you C, D, or A?

I am C. I juice a LOT of stuff in my juicer, puree stuff, and eat lots of baby food! I eat egg whites (you might not...?) I eat beans, nuts and saeeds and their butters (like almond butter), rice cakes, rice pasta, Imagine Soups, and Gluten Free pizza....yummers!

For some of Kate's recipes...do a search for Kate/Wind recipes and see what comes up...or just post to her here in the Fitness Room.

Good for you for being so healthy!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Natalie! new
      #197229 - 07/19/05 10:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Please post your recipes! I'm always looking for new ideas....

What is the name of the detox...sounds fabulous!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing more...

*hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#197230 - 07/19/05 10:09 AM
funDiva Christy

I was not interested in trying white rice so I started with slow cooked long grain brown rice and have had no problems with it. I actually like it plain, I do add a little extra water so its a bit creamy. I don't like how time consuming cooking can be so I made a big batch and used it for a few days. I've been having it with steamed veggies, mushroom, onion, eggplant, zuchinni. Or I use ramen noodles (no packet of course!) which I like better and is enriched wheat flour, so bran removed I think

I haven't had potatoes in forever, but I got some reds and boiled them, finally another use for my butter buds (other than artichoke)

I also got mashed potato flakes for a 1 minute fix if I forget to eat and want to make sure I have something safe, hot and fast.

I think some of the problem is lazyness, for cooking AND shopping, thank goodness I am close to Whole Foods
fd

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

Re: Natalie! new
      #197238 - 07/19/05 10:18 AM
funDiva Christy

yes Natalie I second the motion to post your recipes!

I'm too cheap to do rice noodles! Although I love them and it was challenging to find them made w/ brown rice. I can get 36 ramen packets at Sam's for $3.50 so my frugal practicality overcame my healthyness!

I'm just mad at myself for buying Nilla Wafers. They sorta taste like cardboard & are so hard so I soak them in tea.

If I was gonna cheat and do white flour I coulda at least gotten Lorna Doones. Mmmmm, Lorna Doones, ahlalhalha (Homer drool)

--------------------

laziness new
      #197241 - 07/19/05 10:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

Some days, I'm so lazy I forget to eat! So I hear ya there!

Do you have a juicer, blender, food processor?

I wake up in the AM, stick my veggies and the occasional apple in the juicer and voila! If I'm super hungry I sautee onions in a bit of oil and add egg whites with plain tomato sauce and some garlic powder and maybe some basil. The stuff pretty much cooks itself I just check it now and then and flip the eggs (I make omelettes) when ready.

I eat gobs and gobs of baby food. I stick some pumkin seeds in the jar. I also eat rice cakes with nut butters for a quick snack--just a bit of the butters or it can upset your tummy!

Pureed fruits are delicious! And for a special treat...stick em in the freezer for an hour or two for a slushie effect!

I make my own beans. I soak em for a day and a night, rinse, and then cook from morning till suppertime in a crockpot. Not much involved if you can mnage a bit of cooking. I just add garlic powder and sea satl to the beans...they taste soooo yummy even hubby (meat eating hubby) thought they were yum!

Brown rice pasta. So easy. Stick it in the pot like regular pasta...sooo nutritious too! (Sounds like you already do this though!!)

I LOVE squashes boiled and I love Kate's Zuccini and Sweet potato Unfries (search for recipe...sorry I am no good with links ). I also like to roast veggies. I just cut em up and add some PAM with some sea salt and stick in the oven for 40 mins or so...checking to make sure they're soft. Roast on 375 or 400 depending how hot your oven gets. Mix with brown rice...gourmet!

Once you figure out what you do/don't like...you just waltz down the aisles knowing what you need. (I'm ADD so I don't know if I'll EVER do that...maybe on a hyperfocused day )

Hope this helps some...let us know how you do! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

something sweet new
      #197246 - 07/19/05 10:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

If you really have to have something sweet, try Pamela's cookies. They're GF and made with honey and molasses for sweetners and perhaps some evaporated cane juice...but they're pretty healthy and SO TASTY--I miss em--sigh--(but they are dairy and not low fat!) They dont upset my tummy (but the dairy gives me a high and upsets my sinuses!!!)

Just a thought

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#197272 - 07/19/05 10:42 AM
funDiva Christy

oh yes Ruchie I found and bookmarked the post on Wind/Kates recipes KateWind Recipes

I think I am either D or A, before calming myself I would have horrible D then maybe go a couple days with nothing then D again, so I had pain inbetween but don't know what C really felt like. GI appt not til August.

I eat no dairy, eggs, oil, and gave up on beans & soy just to have tummy relief. Had stopped fish, but recently tried albacore tuna again and can't imagine not EVER having salmon even though its been a few months

used to do nuts, but stopped after I saw they were trigger, but have no prob with organic peanut butter

I have a vitamix (and surprised more people here don't) so purees would be good. I love soup but somehow the vitamix cookbook gives me odd results and theres too many omissions/substitutions for me

golly how I miss pizza! I saw the gluten free dough mix, & had tomato soup last week so sauce is prob OK. Do ya skip cheese or use a substitute? Mostly I had avoided those cuz they're soy and so processed but would love to try pizza again. We used to get Little Caesars weekly & in fact my hubby is getting it tonite and asked if I could have it again boohoo would they do cheeseless?! I think crust, sauce and tons of mushrooms would make me happy for now!

can ya tell I'm drooling some more!
fd

--------------------

#197278 - 07/19/05 10:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Imagine Soups are organic, vegan, and DELICIOUS! So if you want to give em' a try I say go for it! Or make your own with some boiled veggies. Boil them, puree, and add some sea salt and whatever herbs/spices you fancy!

I use, believe it or not...SPAGHETTI SQUASH as my cheese sub for the pizza. Can't go NEAR real cheese or I get sick and high (don't laugh...too hard! I really do get high on dairy!) I boil the squash for about 20 mins then submerge immediately in cold water. Then you just add it as a topping for the pizza on top of the tom. sauce. Caution: The GF pizza dough is too much for one pizza.....I had a MAJOR deep dish one the 1st time I made it cause I didn't realize (at least this is hoe the GF pantry one was. On the Arrowhead mills box it says it makes two pizzas...haven't tried it yet though).

Which vitamix do you have? Is it GF? Most of them have barley...

Mmmmm...now I'm aching for some pizza....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

ramen noodles new
      #197286 - 07/19/05 10:59 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

are deep-fried before they are dehydrated (or whatever it is they do to them that makes them crunchy ), so they are pretty high in fat, and I wouldn't consider them an IBS-safe food personally, for me anyway. That's without the sauce, too.

I don't know about where you live but I can buy big packages of rice noodles for just as cheap as ramen! Way healthier and just as easy!

As for your original question, others have given you great advice here. Heather doesn't really advise on eating white sugar, it's just that it's safe to do it if you want to. It's not like you need sugar to get stabilized. I find that if I don't watch myself I can eat lots of candy and such though because so many other 'treats' are out on this diet. But mostly I'm sugar-free. And you don't need to eat white flour - there are lots of other SF foods that are not refined. Glad to hear you're ok with brown rice - lucky you! Try some other whole grains, like quinoa, polenta, millet, buckwheat... plus there's potatoes and sweet potatoes, etc.

Re: ramen noodles new
      #197288 - 07/19/05 11:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

Laurel, you just reminded me: If you want a sweetner, you can use Stevia! It's IBS safe and healthy too....

Where do you buy Rice noodles so cheap Laurel? I'm all ears.... :-)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: ramen noodles new
      #197365 - 07/19/05 01:30 PM
funDiva Christy

I'm in Las Vegas so I'll have to check out the asian markets for cheap rice noodles, bummer. All I've seen at HFS in brown rice noodles are $1.50 per package compared to 10 cents for the bad ramen

thanks for the heads up

--------------------

my vitamix is GF - but high in polycarbonate! new
      #197371 - 07/19/05 01:36 PM
funDiva Christy

Ruchie this is toooo funny

here's my vitamix

and I'm getting spaghetti squash & pizza crust mix for tonite!

Is there any reason to eat GF or avoid wheat if you don't have problems with it? I had avoided wheat & gluten for past 2 months til the ramen incident

--------------------

funDiva Christy you've got mail! -nt- new
      #197382 - 07/19/05 01:50 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

ROTFL..I thought it was a VITAMIN! n-t new
      #197407 - 07/19/05 02:26 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

gluten new
      #197408 - 07/19/05 02:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

I get REALLY sick when I eat gluten. I do NOT have celiac as far as the docs can tell...but I am intolerant to it. It gives me a tummy ache, makes me depressed, sinus probs, migraines, etc. It's AWFUL for me....

If you feel better on Heather's diet WITH gluten containing foods...I wouldn't worry about it. BUT if you stick to her diet and don't get better...you might want to look into the gluten issue...

HTH!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: potatoe flakes/starch new
      #197467 - 07/19/05 06:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I use these sometimes to make a dish more soluable, or even as an adhesive/binder or thickener. I prefer arrowroot flour to cornstarch. It's more tummy friendly.

Re: Natalie! new
      #197473 - 07/19/05 06:25 PM
Wind

Hi Natalie! I'm totally enthused re: your recipes. I'm eager for new ideas. I'm the pickiest eater I know--thank goodness there's only me to feed. I'm formerly a raw vegan. I can't handle anything raw, except for food processed fruit--peels removed. I think the most nasty thing I consume is a little honey or the odd hard candy. (I thought I'd better add a little fun food). My tummy is not adept with handling civilized foods. I'm better with fruits/veggies high in sf than rice--or maybe I just find them more interesting? Maybe I'm on a bit of a detox trip, too, not to lose weight by any stretch of the imagination. I'm quite orthorexic and set in my ways and basically unversed in processed foods. They make me feel quite ill.
I don't eat wheat unless I'm totally sick--then some saltines appear. Fruits and vegetables are my complex carbs of choice.

I'm babbling. I'd love to hear more re: what you're eating, how you're doing, you're insight/reflections, etc.
Packaged foods, processed foods are addictive and generally full of stuff we don't want.

Re: cookies/biscuits/cereals--my teeth just refuse to chew them. Re: gf bread/bread: my mouth refuses to open to receive it. I'm sure this is partially pathological. I associate eating grains with guilt and submission having lived so long against the grain. I just think that other sources of carbohydrate, for me are preferable. Yes, I know I'm extreme--or extremely different than society in general.
I only eat rice products to be sociable now and as I don't really socialize in eating situations on a regular basis, I'm not eating that much rice. I'd rather eat bananas or papaya or mangoes or carrots or beets or anything but the grain. I used to subscribe to a vegan "Atkins" ideal (lower carb/high protein)--although I do not by any stretch of the imagination any more.

Kate, IBS-D.

#197484 - 07/19/05 06:54 PM
Wind

Hi Christy.

I'd listen to your body. It's giving you feedback! You don't have to eat white flour and sugar! There are tons of other sources of sf and complex carbs. Do you think I eat that crap? Not by any stretch of the imagination. If I eat that, I feel like garbage. If I eat any grain, its rice based.

I stick predominantly to COOKED and PUREED/blended fruits and veggies. I'm also just feeding me. I used to be a raw vegan prior to IBS and lived YEARS without grain. I don't eat soy or wheat/gluten anymore.

Note: Heather's recipes cater to conventional tastes as most people are quite "civilized" and accustomed to a certain presentation/nutritional-chemical cocktail. And I'm sure they are wonderful. Personally, I prefer fruits and veggies high in sf.

Apples should be peeled, if you're D-prone. I generally follow the guidelines for babyfood which recommends peeling/steaming or cooking apples. Apple skins get to me everytime and usually for a few days! If you feel wasteful re: the skin, then compost. The skin is waste anyways, IF, that just goes through you and causes pain and perpetuates the cycle.

I remind myself to eat frequently, stoking the metabolic fire! It's kind of a rhythm or habit and YES, sometimes I set a timer!!! If I don't I'll lose track of time and before you know it six or more hours have elapsed.

Re: big raw salads
I used to think they were the proper thing to eat and ate at least a kilo of raw greens, daily. Now, I don't as they are a cruel and unusual form of punishment and more of an energetic drain, cause D and spasms. Instead, I cook/puree the greens of choice and consume them with sf or in the general time frame as sf. Cooked/pureed greens totally agree with me, personally. We are all, however, different.

I know, though, how you feel about wastefulness. If something deeply bothers me, I still eliminate it--even remove it from my household. I evicted all forms of beans from my house, today as they were ruining my peace of mind!!! And yes, they went in the garbage. I just didn't know where else to put them, but I didn't want the temptation in the household. I know; that's very very terrible, but to have them inside of me makes me feel even more terrible. So, they're gone, now. I should listen to my doctor and test results more often!!! So, Christy, disposing of a peel is nothing to be guilty or ashamed of.

Kate, IBS-D.

P.S. You don't offend me!!!

#197545 - 07/19/05 09:33 PM
funDiva Christy

Hey Kate - thanks so much for understanding, we sound so much alike

I read the book I Could Do Anything if I Only Knew What It Was (author's site) and totally rejoiced when I got to the chapter called "Rage Against the Ordinary" cuz I finally understood my wanting to be different.

I really like eating differently, it stokes my control freak and I feel lovely when I can enjoy the perfection of a food that is fulfilling its life's purpose to nourish me. I don't remember if I ever had a papaya before last week and it was a delight.

The truth of apple peel being IF waste anyway really helped and yes the peels are already composted so better for the cockroaches to have the d than me!

And how odd that I can feed my special kidney challenged kitten every 4 hours but not myself. Too bad I can't just share her boiled pork! Of course she does have to remind me from time to time.

All Hail Princess Samantha Kitten!

--------------------

#197627 - 07/20/05 07:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Your kitten is ADORABLE!!!!!! I loveeee cats...too bad I'm allergic We have a "neighborhood cat" ... hubby and i call him Mr. Kitty. He's a gray tabby...tiny little guy...and he stretches in the grass and follows us to the parking lot...he's just the yummiest kitty ever!

How did you get to be so into health/nourishment?

Btw...do you have any family in Boston? I saw the name Hoffman posted with Samantha's pic...and I have friends in Boston, the Hoffman's! I know it's as common a name as Smith almost...but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask...

Can't wait to hear how your pizza went *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pizza... new
      #197633 - 07/20/05 07:37 AM
Linz

...from a good place is great without cheese. Obviously if you get it from somewhere like Pizza Hut, it's not going to taste any better w/out the cheese. Some delivery places make it a bit greasy as well so watch out for that. But otherwise, enjoy!

Pizza hut... new
      #197640 - 07/20/05 07:50 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'm not sure Pizza Hut is safe without the cheese, in the US at least. They use a beef enzyme in the sauce.

Re: Pizza...for Linz new
      #197643 - 07/20/05 07:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

We were talking about GF pizza...ever had it? i made some a couple of weeks ago...Linz...it was AMAZING! I made the Gluten Free Pantry mix. I added Hunts tomato sauce (plain) with some basil and spaghetti squash already boiled on top...the squash tasted like CHEESE in my opinion....it was just soooooo good I treated myself to more and hope to make some today! Part of what makes it so great, imo, is the homemade aspect. mmmmmm...FRESH FROM THE OVEN WITH LOTSA LOVIN

What kind of pizza do you make/where do you eat it out that is safe? I used to worry about HFCS in the tom. sauce! Do you ask about that?

mmmmm..pizza...the only junk food left in my life (though the way I eat...it's hardly bad for you!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ooops! new
      #197647 - 07/20/05 08:01 AM
Linz

Missed that bit!

Luckily for me HFCS is hardly known over here so I don't have to worry about it when eating out. I have to admit tho that pizza with cheese is my most frequent UFO. I LOVE pizza w/out cheese in restaurants but if I make it home it doesn't come out that nice and the takeaway one is yuck - besides costing about £8 for a small pizza.

Oh yuck! new
      #197648 - 07/20/05 08:03 AM
Linz

That's so totally horrible. And I bet they dn't let you know that in the restaurant!

I haven't been to Pizza Hut since I was a student w/out IBS. There's so many places that do WAY nicer food than that.

Re: Oh yuck! new
      #197670 - 07/20/05 09:15 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Nope, they don't let you know that. But I don't think they do that in the UK. They're much better over there about labeling things truthfully as safe for vegetarians or not. I think it's a US thing.

HEY YOU LOT... new
      #201032 - 07/30/05 07:04 AM
Natalie1985

Im SO sorry I havent replied to this sooner....Ive been mad busy moving flats for uni and not been around much to check the boards....I PROMISE Im gona post the recipes for you...will trying doing some now....and for those interested....well my bowels have kinda been a little odd since doing the detox, I think I prefer eating chicken and fish, I feel healthier for it but I have discovered loads of new recipes(ibs safe) that are vegan and ibs friendly and I am gona continue making them cos theyve been so yummy! Plus my mum, who has been doing the detox with me has LOVED every recipe and shes a big meat eater!! The books I have are CAROL VORDERMANS detox for life, shes a popular presenter over here who lost quite a bit of weight after following a detox and has a few recipe books out....Im gona post as much as I can though....hope you all enjoy! Check out the recipe board soon!

--------------------
Natalie

The recipes.... new
      #201044 - 07/30/05 08:04 AM
Natalie1985

....are officially here on the recipe board! Will keep adding whenever I get time! Enjoy!

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15886

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review