All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Natalie! new
      #197473 - 07/19/05 06:25 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hi Natalie! I'm totally enthused re: your recipes. I'm eager for new ideas. I'm the pickiest eater I know--thank goodness there's only me to feed. I'm formerly a raw vegan. I can't handle anything raw, except for food processed fruit--peels removed. I think the most nasty thing I consume is a little honey or the odd hard candy. (I thought I'd better add a little fun food). My tummy is not adept with handling civilized foods. I'm better with fruits/veggies high in sf than rice--or maybe I just find them more interesting? Maybe I'm on a bit of a detox trip, too, not to lose weight by any stretch of the imagination. I'm quite orthorexic and set in my ways and basically unversed in processed foods. They make me feel quite ill.
I don't eat wheat unless I'm totally sick--then some saltines appear. Fruits and vegetables are my complex carbs of choice.

I'm babbling. I'd love to hear more re: what you're eating, how you're doing, you're insight/reflections, etc.
Packaged foods, processed foods are addictive and generally full of stuff we don't want.

Re: cookies/biscuits/cereals--my teeth just refuse to chew them. Re: gf bread/bread: my mouth refuses to open to receive it. I'm sure this is partially pathological. I associate eating grains with guilt and submission having lived so long against the grain. I just think that other sources of carbohydrate, for me are preferable. Yes, I know I'm extreme--or extremely different than society in general.
I only eat rice products to be sociable now and as I don't really socialize in eating situations on a regular basis, I'm not eating that much rice. I'd rather eat bananas or papaya or mangoes or carrots or beets or anything but the grain. I used to subscribe to a vegan "Atkins" ideal (lower carb/high protein)--although I do not by any stretch of the imagination any more.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mostly vegan evilsugar advice new
      #197484 - 07/19/05 06:54 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hi Christy.

I'd listen to your body. It's giving you feedback! You don't have to eat white flour and sugar! There are tons of other sources of sf and complex carbs. Do you think I eat that crap? Not by any stretch of the imagination. If I eat that, I feel like garbage. If I eat any grain, its rice based.

I stick predominantly to COOKED and PUREED/blended fruits and veggies. I'm also just feeding me. I used to be a raw vegan prior to IBS and lived YEARS without grain. I don't eat soy or wheat/gluten anymore.

Note: Heather's recipes cater to conventional tastes as most people are quite "civilized" and accustomed to a certain presentation/nutritional-chemical cocktail. And I'm sure they are wonderful. Personally, I prefer fruits and veggies high in sf.

Apples should be peeled, if you're D-prone. I generally follow the guidelines for babyfood which recommends peeling/steaming or cooking apples. Apple skins get to me everytime and usually for a few days! If you feel wasteful re: the skin, then compost. The skin is waste anyways, IF, that just goes through you and causes pain and perpetuates the cycle.

I remind myself to eat frequently, stoking the metabolic fire! It's kind of a rhythm or habit and YES, sometimes I set a timer!!! If I don't I'll lose track of time and before you know it six or more hours have elapsed.

Re: big raw salads
I used to think they were the proper thing to eat and ate at least a kilo of raw greens, daily. Now, I don't as they are a cruel and unusual form of punishment and more of an energetic drain, cause D and spasms. Instead, I cook/puree the greens of choice and consume them with sf or in the general time frame as sf. Cooked/pureed greens totally agree with me, personally. We are all, however, different.

I know, though, how you feel about wastefulness. If something deeply bothers me, I still eliminate it--even remove it from my household. I evicted all forms of beans from my house, today as they were ruining my peace of mind!!! And yes, they went in the garbage. I just didn't know where else to put them, but I didn't want the temptation in the household. I know; that's very very terrible, but to have them inside of me makes me feel even more terrible. So, they're gone, now. I should listen to my doctor and test results more often!!! So, Christy, disposing of a peel is nothing to be guilty or ashamed of.

Kate, IBS-D.

P.S. You don't offend me!!!

#197545 - 07/19/05 09:33 PM
funDiva Christy

Reged: 07/09/05
Loc: Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada

Hey Kate - thanks so much for understanding, we sound so much alike

I read the book I Could Do Anything if I Only Knew What It Was (author's site) and totally rejoiced when I got to the chapter called "Rage Against the Ordinary" cuz I finally understood my wanting to be different.

I really like eating differently, it stokes my control freak and I feel lovely when I can enjoy the perfection of a food that is fulfilling its life's purpose to nourish me. I don't remember if I ever had a papaya before last week and it was a delight.

The truth of apple peel being IF waste anyway really helped and yes the peels are already composted so better for the cockroaches to have the d than me!

And how odd that I can feed my special kidney challenged kitten every 4 hours but not myself. Too bad I can't just share her boiled pork! Of course she does have to remind me from time to time.

All Hail Princess Samantha Kitten!

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

#197627 - 07/20/05 07:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Your kitten is ADORABLE!!!!!! I loveeee cats...too bad I'm allergic We have a "neighborhood cat" ... hubby and i call him Mr. Kitty. He's a gray tabby...tiny little guy...and he stretches in the grass and follows us to the parking lot...he's just the yummiest kitty ever!

How did you get to be so into health/nourishment?

Btw...do you have any family in Boston? I saw the name Hoffman posted with Samantha's pic...and I have friends in Boston, the Hoffman's! I know it's as common a name as Smith almost...but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask...

Can't wait to hear how your pizza went *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pizza... new
      #197633 - 07/20/05 07:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...from a good place is great without cheese. Obviously if you get it from somewhere like Pizza Hut, it's not going to taste any better w/out the cheese. Some delivery places make it a bit greasy as well so watch out for that. But otherwise, enjoy!

Pizza hut... new
      #197640 - 07/20/05 07:50 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'm not sure Pizza Hut is safe without the cheese, in the US at least. They use a beef enzyme in the sauce.

Re: Pizza...for Linz new
      #197643 - 07/20/05 07:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

We were talking about GF pizza...ever had it? i made some a couple of weeks ago...Linz...it was AMAZING! I made the Gluten Free Pantry mix. I added Hunts tomato sauce (plain) with some basil and spaghetti squash already boiled on top...the squash tasted like CHEESE in my opinion....it was just soooooo good I treated myself to more and hope to make some today! Part of what makes it so great, imo, is the homemade aspect. mmmmmm...FRESH FROM THE OVEN WITH LOTSA LOVIN

What kind of pizza do you make/where do you eat it out that is safe? I used to worry about HFCS in the tom. sauce! Do you ask about that?

mmmmm..pizza...the only junk food left in my life (though the way I eat...it's hardly bad for you!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ooops! new
      #197647 - 07/20/05 08:01 AM
Linz

Missed that bit!

Luckily for me HFCS is hardly known over here so I don't have to worry about it when eating out. I have to admit tho that pizza with cheese is my most frequent UFO. I LOVE pizza w/out cheese in restaurants but if I make it home it doesn't come out that nice and the takeaway one is yuck - besides costing about £8 for a small pizza.

Oh yuck! new
      #197648 - 07/20/05 08:03 AM
Linz

That's so totally horrible. And I bet they dn't let you know that in the restaurant!

I haven't been to Pizza Hut since I was a student w/out IBS. There's so many places that do WAY nicer food than that.

Re: Oh yuck! new
      #197670 - 07/20/05 09:15 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Nope, they don't let you know that. But I don't think they do that in the UK. They're much better over there about labeling things truthfully as safe for vegetarians or not. I think it's a US thing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review