Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Learning to Run
      #196572 - 07/17/05 02:10 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering how I can learn to run. I hope that doesn't sound stupid, but I've never been a runner, always really struggled with it, and I think I'd really enjoy it. I've been going out for daily speed-walks of at least 40minutes for the last month and a half or so (prior to that I wasn't getting any exercise) and I'm starting to increase my distance and decrease my time...so I'd like to start trying to run. Can you learn to run if you've never done it before?

Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sure you can! new
      #196579 - 07/17/05 03:07 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I was never a runner either- then I joined a marathon training group and ran a half marathon! You just start slow... start by running 20 min a day for 4 days of the week. Give yourself three days off. Then in a week or so, up it to 25 minutes. Then in another couple of weeks go to 30 minutes... and so on.

The only thing I can say is, with my IBS there are days when running upsets my stomach too much and I can't run as long as I would like. I've learned that I have to listen to my body and respect that it won't always run as much as I want. Now, I trade off though, and the days I'm feeling good I go extra long. I usually run between 40-60 minutes, but I'll go 20 or 30 on bad days.

Re: Learning to Run new
      #196615 - 07/17/05 05:52 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Kelly. I was totally like you not that long ago - afraid to run, and terrible at it! (Isn't that silly how we lose those abilities - all kids can run like it's going out of style!) Anyway, I started basically just like you are, with walking, then speed walking, then jogging/running/walking intervals... etc. Now, I'm NOWHERE near a marathon anytime soon but I definitely feel a lot more comfortable in say, my ability to run away should Godzilla attack tomorrow lol

Here's a good set of programs you can try to raise your running ability, i.e. to run continuously for 20 minutes to progress from 1 to 5 miles, etc.: web page

HTH!

Edited by retrograde (07/17/05 06:00 PM)

#196621 - 07/17/05 06:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am just starting to run as well. I needed to add some short aerobic exercise to my weight training days and so I ran for 5 min 1 min break and another 5 min. I have only done this about 3 times but already increased the running time (before I got a cold). I think it is easier to run/walk/run/walk in intervals than to try to run straight for even 10 minutes. For me it is asthma that makes it hard. I have never been able to run with these lungs of mine. I hope to increase my intervals quite a bit.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#196624 - 07/17/05 06:51 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Oh, intervals are a great idea! I forgot to mention that... when I was first running I would run for 10 minutes and walk 1. Obviously, as Min points out- you can adjust those to meet your needs.

#196650 - 07/17/05 08:52 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Agree with everyone here about running intervals...that's how I started. My husband just recently started running with me and I can tell you it helps to have someone else to keep you going, so a beginner's running group might be good. It's hard at first, but you'll pick it up, and probably get better faster than you think. And you'll feel GREAT afterwards. Just try to stay cool!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review