All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight question
      #195346 - 07/13/05 05:18 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, I'm not sure whether I need to be losing weight atm. I'm overweight still but I've stopped losing, partly b/c I haven't been watching my diet but mainly I think b/c with my new job I'm doing alot more exercise and I've been putting on LOTS of muscle.

I'm also feeling pretty good about me atm...would like to lose some fat off thighs and bum but that's about it. Oh I've got a bit of a poochy tum, but my abs are shot b/c of scoliosis so I don't think I'll ever get a totally flat tum. Certainly don't want smaller boobs!

BUT...I'm only 5'2 and I'm (I think) 147 pounds. So theoretically for my health I should be no more than 130, I think. I have ALWAYS been towards the upper end of the healthy weight range for my height even when I was SUPER fit and as slim as I get. I'm also still a UK size 14 (US 10?) and being a 12 (8?) was nicer in a way.

Whaddya think? Did that all make sense? I'm wondering if maybe I should track my cals but not try to lose atm.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight question new
      #195353 - 07/13/05 05:28 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I've always found scales to be deceptive. I'm about 5'7" and I weigh 140, give or take a few pounds, but I wear size 4's and 6's (US). So I wouldn't worry about what the scale says, especially since you seem to be happier with your body right now.

How about using measurements to gauge your weight? This could be tricky if you don't measure in the exact same place each time, but I use a "landmark" like a mole or freckle to guide me. It helps on days you are feeling big to realize that either you haven't gained any inches or that you've actually lost! I could have sworn that my thighs had gotten bigger (more muscular) but according to the measurements, I'd actually lost a few inches. I think it's all about our perception of ourselves.

Soooo, back to your question. If you could engage in some toning exercises for your "problem spots" and not count calories, that'd be best. Maybe post your daily menus here, but don't count the calories? Aim for a certain number of fruits and veggies and water drinken a day rather than for a total number of calories. Calorie counting can get addictive pretty quickly, so if you can eat healthier and hold yourself accountable without doing it, more power to you.

Good luck, dear! And congrats on the new muscle!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Thanks Elizabeth! new
      #195354 - 07/13/05 05:35 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sounds good me thinks. I just realised today that 1. I fitted into my LBD and 2. I was walking round the shops in my ickle gym shorts perfectly happily! So why stress about losing weight. I'm never going to be tiny, so there's no point comparing myself to teeny petite girls and if *I'm* happy then that should be good enough. Si sometimes comments that I'm not as thin as I used to be (don't worry he also says I'm gorgeous etc ) but then he can't talk! He has more cellulite than me now much to his horror.

You don't think I'd be healthier at a lower weight then? This whole numbers thing is soooo confusing.

Re: Thanks Elizabeth! new
      #195402 - 07/13/05 08:34 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Hi Linz, I dont think that you are overweight at all. I can totally symphathize with you on never being "tiny" or petite by standards at least. I am 6'0 and I weigh 155lbs and I wear a 10-12(US) size. The "charts" say that I can get up to like 180lbs and still be considered healthy for my height, which seems weird to me. I have never thought I was "overweight" necessarily but I have been really self conscious about my butt and thighs(like every girl I think). Its great that you are confident and if I was I wouldnt worry about losing weight. If you are happy with yourself thats all that matters!!!

US-UK sizes new
      #195404 - 07/13/05 08:43 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Linz,

A UK 12 is a US large 6, so a 14 is a size 8. That's pretty small!

And Elizabeth, thanks for posting what you did- I've been feeling grumbly that my weight was higher than I would like, but I should concentrate on fitting really comfortably in my pants and not on the number, and I don't have far to go for the former.

#195749 - 07/14/05 03:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

According to the charts I found the sizes are only 2 different like an 8US is a 10UK. sorry.
Ok my rambling thoughts (remember I am sick): I wish I could be more content with me and not comparing me to others. I have been focusing on being really in shape and muscular/toned and I think it is working, BUT I would like to wear a 4 pants (I wear 4 skirts and 6 pants/shorts down from an 8). I like buying the small sizes since they are always available in the store you know! And yes partly I just want to be thin so my sister-in-law that I hate would not be the only one. Although she recently told me I was looking really good and that felt great! I find now that I am more fit I actually walk like I am fit and that makes me look more fit. If that makes sense. BUT I also find that when I was way heavier I didn't think I was so heavy and then losing 12-15 pounds is like "hey where was all that fat and was I really THAT fat?" But I agree that weight doesn't mean much, especially since scales are so unreliable. Right now I think the weight that charts say I should be (110) is too low but at 115 maybe I would still think I was chubby. So I don't know. I have never had eating disorders or anything close to it so I am just trying to see when I feel I look how I want. I hope all this is helpful (hearing someone else ramble is helpful isn't it? )
Linz didn't you read your scale wrong for a while? I thought that was so funny!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#195834 - 07/14/05 09:33 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Linz! That's so great to hear you talk about your body like that - we should all just aim to get to a point where *we* are happy about ourselves and that's that.

And yeah, numbers are really deceptive - and those old BMI charts are even worse. They don't account for body composition at all. So for someone who's more muscular like you, they're really likely to say 'overweight!' when you're not really at all.

I've lost a fair amount of weight lately, sort of. My stomach, butt and thighs have all gotten quite visibly smaller (bf can't believe it ) but the number on the scale? Hasn't moved an inch. Which I'm pretty happy about, since my goals aren't really to lose weight at all but rather to gain muscle while letting it actually show up by losing some body fat.

Great post Elizabeth, btw. I haven't really been calorie counting for a while now either - it CAN get really addictive. I also just kind of know a bunch of meals that work for me that are all good calorie and fat-wise so I just eat and don't really worry too much about it any more, which is nice. My biggest concern really is making sure I don't get so busy that I go too long without eating!

#198398 - 07/21/05 09:48 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I know this thread is a bit old, but LittleMinnie, I love what you said not thinking you were heavy when you were heavier! I am thankful that I have never really had body issues. I am pretty tall (5'9"), and when I was younger I was a size 14 or a size 16. It never bothered me much; I just saw myself as kind of voluptous.

Then, without trying, I lost about 15 pounds. The paranoia about keeping the weight off then set in! It's so funny, because people always tell me I'm thin or "normal," and the smallest I've ever been is a size 10! (I'm usually more like a 12.)

Obviously, height and body type make a huge difference. Even if I were wasting away, I would still never fit in anything smaller than maybe an 8. My frame is just too sturdy for that.

Gotta love that German breeding!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: US-UK sizes new
      #198829 - 07/23/05 12:52 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I found the different sizing confusing too. Before I gained all this weight, I was a size 4 in pants in Canada (same as US sizes). When I went to England, I was an 8. When I gained a whole bunch of weight, I came back to Canada, looked at a size 4 and nearly died when I realised how little I used to be!
I think it depends on a person's shape as well, as I am a lot more top heavy (boobs!) than bottom heavy so I can be like 5 different sizes in different stores/styles.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4227

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review