All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lost the motivation!
      #194898 - 07/12/05 09:08 PM
Beth

Reged: 02/17/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

I feel sooo... blah right now. I started dieting on Jan 31 and managed to lose over 20 lbs before my step-mom came to visit. When she left, I'd gained 6 lbs and lost 100% of my motivation! I won't even go into my current eating habits, as you'd have me in a center for compulsive overeating in a heartbeat. I think I've gained back about half of what I lost.

What I want to know is, are there any "safe" frozen/refrigerated pre-packaged dinners out there? If I can just buy the exact amount I should eat in a day and keep my fridge mostly empty, I thought maybe that would help... I actually managed to stay on a 1200-1400 cal per day diet for nearly 5 months, but as I said, then my step-mom came and my motivation went Pthhppppp. I'm extremely stable right now, as far as my IBS is concerned (hugs Paxil), but I still don't eat much in the way of insoluble fiber, so I'd have to add that in carefully. Any suggestions would be very very helpful!!!

--------------------
Food for thought: the only kind I can digest.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lost the motivation! new
      #194930 - 07/13/05 12:33 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hmm--i dont know of any frozen dinners b/c most of our dinners are usually homemade. if you wanted to try making a dessert-treat, you could buy some frozen berries and some non fat soy milk [if youre wanting to lose weight-it helps avoid extra fat calories] and blend up a smoothie! if you get acacia, you can mix it in there to avoid the extra time to prepare tea..
im like you! i lost alot of weight last summer by accident and on a reduced-cal diet, i suppose but after summer i slowly gained it back, and then fast!--all at once and now i have no motivation for anything [like exercise! ]

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: Lean Cuisine or MEAN cuisine!!! new
      #194938 - 07/13/05 04:15 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth! That's NO WAY to live! And to suffer the agony of grocery shopping daily? That's like dealing yourself "rations" and treating yourself like a prisoner! You'll only rebel! Besides, all that daily shopping and food eyeballing only perpetuates the obsessiveness.

Pre-packaged dinners? MAKE YOUR OWN SAFE ONES, i.e. cook in batches and freeze! I cannot think of any safe ones and totally think they have no soul. Living on such meals would give me a case of "travel sickness" instantly. I totally think that the human animal needs to experience a little TLC or fussing--at least a few minutes--and something "homemade." Besides, homemade is better for IBS, in general.

I only grocery store shop once a week! Twice at most, but in general once.

A great way to increase/add IF is via smoothies and soups, homemade "haute cuisine" baby food/purees, sauces, etc. Plus, such things keep the calories down and the NUTRITION UP! Also, FRESH PLANT FOODS have tons of anti-oxidants that work MIRACLES on your mood/energy/skin/hair/nails. You're a living human being/soul that NEEDS some living NUTRITION! Vibrance! Sure, mood drugs help, but so does NUTRITION. It's an attitude, a way of thinking, being, living.

Kate, IBS-D, pain prominent.

Have to agree with Kate on this one... new
      #195208 - 07/13/05 11:57 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Beth! I have to agree with Kate (Wind) on this one!

First, let's just address the fact that you're trying to eat a VERY low calorie diet - that's niether healthy nor effective in the long term! This has been discussed quite a bit on this board (finess & lifestyle); particularly, HanSolo posted a link to a great article about this a while back. Do some searching and see what you can find (if not let me know and I'll dig up a few good threads for you). Anyway, the long and short of it is that when you eat too few calories, sure you lose some pounds at first, but pretty soon your body realizes that its just not getting the amount of calories it NEEDS, and your metabolism changes to start holding on to every calorie because, basically, it thinks its starving. (And it holds on in the form of fat, btw.) Sooner or later, low cal diets plateau (as you're experiencing) and the weight starts coming back. So my guess is that this slump you're in has less to do with your step mom and more to do with YOUR DIET!

Most women should be eating arond 1800 calories a day. It's totally possible (and the most the desirable way) to lose weight eating that much and exercising.

And second, in my personal opinion overly processed foods, such as those lean cuisine frozen thingys, are in large part to blame for the bulging wastelines of the western world. The best way to get to a healthy weight is to eat HEALTHY - that means no processed junk. Eat whole, nutritious healthy foods! That doesn't need to be difficult at all! Like Kate suggested, cook at the beginning of the week and freeze your own dinners so you can defrost them at the end of a tough workday, instead of those sodium-filled processed ones.

Anyway, hope I didn't offend at all here - just trying to help!

Re: Have to agree with Kate on this one... new
      #195409 - 07/13/05 08:57 PM
Beth

Reged: 02/17/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

I may be blind or tired, but I don't see a post prior to yours. However, I do get what your saying. I did get my daily calorie burning at resting rate tested, which is 1600, and I have to say I'm not the most active girl, though I was doing well for a while. The problem isn't a plateau, I was doing great, it's just that once I "took a break" from the diet, I wasn't able to get back with it! *pouts*

--------------------
Food for thought: the only kind I can digest.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review