All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
A GREAT read!! new
      #194819 - 07/12/05 05:13 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

it's not so much about losing weight, as about maintaining, and enjoying food without feeling guilty.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A GREAT read!! new
      #194843 - 07/12/05 05:50 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

That sounds good! Thanks! I'll have to check it out!

#195071 - 07/13/05 08:54 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Yup, just as Ginger explained it! It's a pleasant read and it keeps me from snacking mindlessly.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: hey COOL! new
      #195072 - 07/13/05 08:56 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Definitely take a look. It's totally compatible with the IBS diet (I mean, of course some minor adjustments to her specific food recs, but the overall theory is consistent). It's a great way to lose those last few pounds that seem so stubborn! PS, I don't think I've mentioned that I've been to the gym exactly ONE TIME in the last two months, and I'm losing!

--------------------
Amanda

Re: one more thing.. new
      #195074 - 07/13/05 08:57 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Yeah it's definitely made me more conscientious about drinking my water, and I have noticed a difference. I do pee about every 35 min though, which is annoying since the bathroom is on the opposite end of the floor. Oh well, get a little walking in I guess too!

--------------------
Amanda

#195085 - 07/13/05 09:15 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I picked up the book last month and am about halfway through it (time constraints keep me from finishing it all the way...) and I love it so far. It's definitely compatible with the IBS diet, although I think I might need a little more bread and carbs than what she talks about.

I do like how it focuses on "enjoying food", which is something I haven't been able to do since being diagnosed. And I also love how she has experience in eating an American diet too. Definitly a must read.

--------------------
- Jennifer

This is nuts ... new
      #196685 - 07/18/05 07:11 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Okay I know scales vary, and since I don't own one myself, I can't be exactly sure ... but I just weighed myself at my friend's house this weekend and I was 122! I couldn't believe it. I haven't seen a number that low on ANY scale in at least 4 years. I was absolutely stuck at 128 forever, no matter where I weighed myself. I am so happy. I probably haven't lost it the healthiest way, but I can't help but be glad about it anyway! I've been going from work to school every night for the past few weeks for moot court (big fun nerdy activity), and I keep forgetting to bring my own food. The only safe food was a light oil pasta salad. On nights that they didn't have that, I just grabbed a few crackers and a cookie and went off to take care of my responsibilities. I was too busy to realize I was going without dinner, and too tired by the time I got home to actually make anything. I wore a new dress this weekend to a bbq and everyone said I looked great. I hadn't seen most of the people in 2 years (since graduating college) and it felt great to show up looking my best. I wonder if the pounds will creep back on as I get into a normal eating pattern again, but I have to say, I hope not. Usually I eat just enough to maintain my weight, so I'd be surprised if I gained it back again, now that I've lost. What a good feeling!

--------------------
Amanda

Good for you, but.... new
      #196688 - 07/18/05 07:20 AM
epa_ginger

you really shouldn't skip dinner!! I'm no expert on this, but it could be that eating less might affect your metabolism and that will make you gain weight in the long run.
But you know your body best so just watch for warning signs. I wish I could lose a few lbs. I'm only recently upping my cardio so I'm not going to have high expectations right away, and haven't weighed myself lately but I'm going to give it 2-3 weeks of solid effort and see if that makes a difference.

--------------------

Re: Good for you, but.... new
      #196708 - 07/18/05 08:25 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

You're definitely right that skipping meals can screw up my metabolism, and it honestly wasn't planned, I just got careless. I think, though, that when you start reducing your calories that fast you will initially lose weight and the metabolism shift will be gradual. Otherwise, anorexics would really never get so small. Not that I'm modeling my diet after anorexics, but you get my drift.
Also I think the French Woman philosophy is really helping me. I'm not eating anything that doesn't taste yummy, and I ask myself with every bite if I'm really hungry enough for the next bite, if I'm really enjoying it, etc. It's not even a question of will power anymore -- I don't even feel like binging on junk food. And I try to start with eating half a sandwich and putting the other half aside for a while, then only picking it up again if I'm truly hungry. I know that is helping. Haha now I'm hungry for lunch and it's not even noon!

--------------------
Amanda

That's a good way of doing it.... new
      #196741 - 07/18/05 09:36 AM
epa_ginger

it's mostly mental, you know? My major problem is at dinner. For just me and my husband we tend to make way too much food, and i think I need to eat as much as him. I need to really just not take seconds and save it for leftovers the next day for lunch instead. I'm trying!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6916

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review