All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Survey re: TEMPTATIONS!
      #193991 - 07/11/05 05:10 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I just thought I'd start a survey in the Lifestyle/Fitness arena re: food temptations

So, what's your greatest food/beverage temptation? Something you find irrestible.

Mine's easy--FRUIT!!! Especially berries (raspberries are my favourite!) and peaches and cherries. I find it hard to stop eating them and seriously have to measure them and monitor serving sizes otherwise...I've been known to polish off a quart or so in the past, or eat a half-dozen peaches.
Also, this is so embarassing, but my grandmother makes amazing pies and well...once, I just started eating the innards and couldn't stop and left all the skin/crust when she wasn't looking--one of those midnight snack attacks--it was blackberry/rhubarb. I'm a little vulture.

I feel like a living jar of jam or pie-guts all summer long.
I'm trying so hard to be "cautious" this year. I literally walk around pie-in-the-sky-eyed.

My other weakness is COFFEE and Coca-cola/diet coke--Caffeine!

Care to share your food/beverage temptations?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Survey re: TEMPTATIONS! new
      #193998 - 07/11/05 05:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Anything sweet, especially cake. I'm SUCH a cake junkie. It's why I stick with things that I have to make a serving at a time, like the Chocolate Cake for One that I posted on the recipe board, rather than having a full cake laying around. When I still lived at my mom's, any time she made cake, I would literally eat it for breakfast, lunch, and snacks in between. (And I wonder how I got so heavy back then! Sheesh!)

But even Heather's quick breads are something I can't eat just one serving of. I have to just not make them anymore, safe as they are, because I'll polish off an entire loaf in 2 days.

Beverages-wise, there's not a whole lot that tempts me. Soda is the closest, but it only becomes tempting if I cave in ONCE... and then I just can't seem to stop drinking it. So I solve the problem by not allowing my one favorite soda - Coke - in the house. Adam prefers diet anyway, so I'm safe there, for now.

#193999 - 07/11/05 05:56 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Oh. How do I narrow this down? I have so many. I guess I'll do a top five.

1. Coffee
2. Alcohol
3. Cheese
4. Ice cream
5. Honey Nut Cheerios

#194051 - 07/11/05 07:39 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I've always been a big bread fan, so now I bake a loaf of bread and immediately cut it into equal sized pieces. If I were to leave it in loaf form, I'd cut off huge monster-size pieces.

Right now, cereal is a big temptation for me. I bought a box of Fruity Pebbles and ate almost nothing but cereal for 2 whole days. The box was gone before I even noticed it! So, that cereal is definitely a treat, not a staple.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#194063 - 07/11/05 07:55 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Caffeine, especially with the Fibro. I now think of it more as a medicine with nasty side effects. So if I REALLY need the caffeine, I'll have some and put up with the side effects, but I don't have it for fun anymore. That make sense?

Anyway, not counting the caffeine, coffee is a big one for me as I adore it.

Salad used to be, but it was so painful I don't push it anymore. I can eat loads more fruit and veg now than I used to be able to, so that's not an issue anymore.

Fatty stuff is a big issue for me as I'm ALOT more fat tolerant than most people...well, it makes me C but as my attacks are D, sometimes that's good. So chip shop fries etc...yum!

#194079 - 07/11/05 08:27 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

1. french fries
2. nuts
3. watermelon
4. Sierra Mist/Sprite/7-Up
5. Cheerios, Cheerios, CHEERIOS!!!!!

#194087 - 07/11/05 08:32 AM
chinagrl

Darn them Cheerios!!! I'm going to stop having them in the house... too much temptation!!!!

Re: Cheerios! new
      #194111 - 07/11/05 09:08 AM
lalala

Ah--someone who understands my Cheerios obsession.

Sometimes that's all I'll eat, and even though they're not bad for you, they're not good meal replacements. I tried moderation, but I just see that yellow box and I have to have a bowl. So, I've just stopped buying them.

Re: Cheerios! new
      #194129 - 07/11/05 09:40 AM
chinagrl

Yeah. I'm bad with Cheerios, but I'm unstoppable with Honey Nut Cheerios. I have a box left of the plain variety (I bought them in bulk) but after this I'm cutting myself off. I just can't be trusted with cereal.

#194141 - 07/11/05 09:52 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hmm... For food my worst enemy during my pregnancy is, well there's a couple... ice cream and pie!

As for my beverage... Again there's 2... I have no clue why I've been craving these, considering my current condition, but coffee and wine... neither of which I can or should have! Of course, I'm sensible enough not to give in to these cravings. It's especially hard to walk down the coffee isle in the grocery store lately... that wonderful aroma... SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#194171 - 07/11/05 10:39 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

ICE CREAM!! I stop in the aisle everytime I'm at the store and just stare! I miss it so much!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

cheese new
      #194331 - 07/11/05 05:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I couldn't think of a good answer because I pretty much can avoid or just have a tiny nibble of almost all my favorite things. However the one thing that popped into my head first and is the thing I find I cheat on most is cheese. We have some havarti in the fridge; I am doing my best to avoid it. I am just glad I don't live in France etc. I know I couldn't resist then!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#194336 - 07/11/05 05:31 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

This is fun!

Well, I dont eat it anymore at all but, HANDS DOWN, ice cream. I esp love soft-serve. I have to say that was the HARDEST thing for me to give up, as I had it nearly every day before my tummy troubles!

I also love coffee and broccoli, though not together!

Re: Temptations; I see a trend emerging new
      #194380 - 07/11/05 07:50 PM
Wind

It appears as though ICE CREAM and dairy products, i.e. cheese are a popular temptation. Caffeine and sugar in its various forms as well. Very interesting. I wonder what they put in those CHEERIOS that makes them so addictive!

For me:

1. Caffeine (i.e. coffee, Coca-cola/diet coke, iced tea/green tea)
2. Sugar (in the form of fruit and candy, especially Jolly ranchers.

It's how we manage/deal with "Temptation" that counts. Deprivation is futile--I indulge daily! I think you can metaphorically eat your "cake" or include that which tempts you in your diet/lifestyle.

Now, I think I'm going to eat raspberries or peaches or mangoes or bananas or something! I'll look forward to tea, tomorrow morning! (The coffee thing is still really abrasive on me and I'm already hyper enough as it is!)

So, HNC and regular cheerios new
      #194384 - 07/11/05 07:53 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

are IBS safe? Just not safe for your waist line?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: So, HNC and regular cheerios new
      #194398 - 07/11/05 08:32 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

- French Vanilla Frappacinnos by Starbucks
- Chocolate Puff Wheat Cake

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#194418 - 07/11/05 09:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Dairy for me too! And gluten and sugar. I miss sugary foods...but only when they are around me. I saw a chocolate layer cake the other day and desperately wanted some Dairy is the WORST! I can eat plain cheese I miss lasagna especially! Mmmm...getting hungry!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Help... Gaining Weight and not stoping. new
      #194452 - 07/12/05 05:00 AM
JennWst

Reged: 06/01/05

Does anyone have any suggestions for loosing weight? I have been really good watching what I eat and following all the tips on this website, but I have gained about 30 punds while doing this. I have always been overweight and have recently gotten down to 150, now I am back at 180 and I am not sure how to loose the weight... any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JennWst (07/12/05 05:13 AM)

#194462 - 07/12/05 06:08 AM
chinagrl

I think so... maybe Honey Nut could be problematic, I bet there's some HFCS in there- but Cheerios are definitely ok.

Re: Help... Gaining Weight and not stoping. new
      #194464 - 07/12/05 06:10 AM
chinagrl

Hi Jenn,

You'll want to repost this, as an individual thread. Inside this thread you'll never get the answers you want. Let me know if you need help doing that!

Welcome to the boards!

Temptations? Well, lets see... new
      #194540 - 07/12/05 09:34 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Cool thread Kate!

My parents have been lately having soy ice cream in the house all the time! We are not really an 'ice cream househould' but I guess since soy ice cream is a little 'healthier' than regular ice cream and since it's blistering hot here, it's been making a regular appearance in our freezer. This is sooo bad! I could literally just open the carton and eat the whole thing (which is the point when soy ice cream really stops being SAFE! )

Other safe foods that I could eat and eat and eat.... white bread! If I'm really stressed out or upset, white bread is a huge comfort food for me. I eat way too much of it at those times! Oh, and cheerios for me too! Why is it so easy to have a million bowls of cereal without even feeling full until right after you stop? (And the you feel reeeeallly full!)

Oh, and yes any safe candy is terrible for me. Licorice, scotch mints, fuzzy peaches... I can't let myself around these treats or it's all over! lol

And as far as non safe foods go - cheese! Oh how I miss it Cheese used to be a HUGE staple of my diet. Even though I've always been pretty lactose intolellerant, cheese with low lactose levels like hard cheddar were totally fine for me at one time. When I was a vegetarian for a bunch of years, cheese was like my major protein source. Mmmmmm, yes, I definitely miss my cheese. I haven't once cheated with it though since I cut it out of my diet!

#194583 - 07/12/05 10:48 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

They are both safe unless a person has issues with nuts or great sensitivity to IF. Both are HFCS free (as is my new favorite cap'n crunch). I do find though that HNC make me burpy and gassy to some extent. I believe after-cheerios-burps are quite common with everyone.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Yes! This was really confusing me! new
      #194602 - 07/12/05 11:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Anyway, unless you're on meds that make you put on weight whatever (ie. NOT ones that make you more hungry which is the usual side effect thang), then counting your calories should help. Check out www.fitday.com.

#194782 - 07/12/05 03:49 PM
JennWst

Reged: 06/01/05

How do I post a new question?

#194794 - 07/12/05 04:25 PM
chinagrl

When you click on the board (that being the fitness one) hit the "post" button. That will allow you to start a new topic and question.

#194797 - 07/12/05 04:45 PM
lalala

Kate,

Have you tried a coffee substitute, like Teeccino? I know it doesn't contain caffeine, but I like the taste and the potassium in it offers a little pick-me-up.

You've mentioned you like lemons and limes, so maybe you'll understand the following: Sometimes I get a craving for lemons or lime, and I try to satisfy this craving with lemon cake or lemon sorbet. Doesn't help. Unfortunately, I don't like the sweetness of these products. What I have to have is a slice of real lemon or lime. I think I prefer sour to sweet.

Re: Retrograde, you reminded me... new
      #194798 - 07/12/05 04:49 PM
Wind

HOW MUCH I MISS CANDY!!!

Now, I am cured! Oh no! Attack of the fuzzy peaches! Pass me the sours! Lollipops, Jolly Ranchers, and licorice. Saltwater taffy. I think I'm going to become an "OOMPA LOOMPA." I'll have to hit a "retro" (no pun intended) candy store. Yes, you have permission to break my jaw. Explosive bubblegum. Cotton Candy. The world of sugar. I'm doomed, now, should I venture out into the world. (Sorry, I need more vices around the house and the last time I tried Cheerios I puked and soy icecream does a number on me). Those fruit-to-go, incidentally are great port-a-snacks.

Re: Temptations? Well, lets see... new
      #194800 - 07/12/05 04:50 PM
lalala

Quote:

Other safe foods that I could eat and eat and eat.... white bread! If I'm really stressed out or upset, white bread is a huge comfort food for me. I eat way too much of it at those times! Oh, and cheerios for me too! Why is it so easy to have a million bowls of cereal without even feeling full until right after you stop? (And the you feel reeeeallly full!)

This is how I feel about cereal and white bread too! I think Cheerios are a comfort food because, probably for many of us, it was our first finger food. I've had to cut back on both because I was really over-doing it.

#194801 - 07/12/05 04:51 PM
Wind

Great idea re: sliced lemon/lime. Somedays, I could suck a bag of lemons or limes!

Jawbreakers new
      #194804 - 07/12/05 05:00 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

pixi stix, lemon drops, sugar babies, chocolate mints, mmmmmmm! Don't get me started! I'm not supposed to even look at sugar anymore

OOMPA LOOMPA...on 1,000 cals a day? Not quite Miss Kate Should we get you a blueberry whatever that was called in the movie/ That'll plump you up in no time...though I must admit, I would be VERY UPSET if you tunred into a blue ball!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: CANDY! new
      #194806 - 07/12/05 05:03 PM
lalala

Lol! My sister is a candy freak, and I love surprising her with a box of full of candy (Necco Wafers, Smarties, Nerds, Techno (Gummy) Bears, Chupa Chups, etc.) every once in a while (since I can't eat them). I'm more of a chocolate lover, although I do miss Atomic Fireballs and Tootsie Pops.

I don't know how much you love candy, but have you seen or read that book Candy and Me: A Love Story by Hilary Liftin. It's a non-fiction account of the author's obsession with candy, especially "retro" candy.

Re: Interesting connection, Maria!Maria! new
      #194811 - 07/12/05 05:08 PM
Wind

Interesting connection re: temptations/first finger foods and treats.

MINE WAS CANDY!!! Mum would keep a bag of the hard stuff in the car for me/her/my friends. There was a stash in the glove box.

My grandfather got tons of free candy, cookies, biscuits,etc., from his factory--A CANDY FACTORY.

It's true, though, re: cereal. There's a lot of people who's parents gave them Cheerios as there first nibbles/kibbles and bits, snacks.

My parents just gave me candy. Dad would come home most days with gummi something or other or something explosive or taffy or GUM (my favourite food as a kid--I got too much of it in my hair)or licorice--it was the only thing I was likely not to be allergic to.

That and slurpees and Mr. Freezies and popsicles and Jello.

I too, had to remove the tempatation from my house as I preferred the temptation to real food. However, I think I need to "invite" just a little tiny bit of it back in for the fun of it.

Re: CANDY! new
      #194816 - 07/12/05 05:11 PM
Wind

I think I'll have to check out that book! I used to stock up on Chups and Nerds. Swedish berries were a favourite. I'm doomed now. I haven't had an atomic fireball in ages. Yes, Maria!Maria! I'm a big suck!

Re: Jawbreakers new
      #194817 - 07/12/05 05:13 PM
Wind

I was eating blueberries, this afternoon, Ms. Ruchie! Chocolate covered expresso beans--now there's temptation.

#194847 - 07/12/05 05:52 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Hmmm....fun idea....this has been really hard for me but haven't been cheating on it, here goes....

Authentic mexican food with real cheese, chocolate,
high sugar foods like soy dream or home made desserts, french fries.
Drinks? Soda, hands down.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Re: cheese new
      #194899 - 07/12/05 09:10 PM
Beth

Reged: 02/17/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

*giggle* I hear ya. I gained most of my weight eating cheese. A lot of cheese, admitedly. Now I just eat a lot of soy cheese *sigh*

--------------------
Food for thought: the only kind I can digest.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28962

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review