All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Cardio for weight loss... new
      #189713 - 06/27/05 10:44 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've been away for a few days, but a while back you asked about tips for cardio, so... the best kind of cardio for weight loss is INTERVAL CARDIO. Basically you do anywhere from 15 seconds to about 2 minutes of really strenuous cardio (i.e. sprint) followed by a recovery period of (i.e.) moderate speed walking.

Generally when I do my cardio (on a track) I do a quarter of a mile fast running followed by a quarter of a mile walking. This type of cardio challenges your body more because it doesn't allow your body to 'get used' to a speed or activity (thereby making it more difficult). But I actually find it easier, or at least more enjoyable, because you're not doing the same thing for the whole session!

Basically, interval cardio 3-4x per week for 20-45 mins each session should be all you'll need. One of those sessions can be a longer, steady-speed cardio like a jog or bike or hike too.

FYI, cardio of this type is also vital for abs - really, the biggest challenge to having abs that 'pop' is getting rid of a layer of fat on top of them - so fat-loss activities like cardio and a good diet are just as (and almost more) important than crunches. Most people have pretty well defined abs underneath, but pretty much everyone, even slim people, store fat in that area moreso than in other areas of the body (and for women, another one of those stubborn areas is the butt and thighs).

Anyway, best of luck!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cardio for weight loss... new
      #189729 - 06/28/05 05:33 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Loc: Maryland

thanks.. great tips!
I'll have to try that all out. I hear ya abou the abs too.. I bet I have hot abs underneath this fat haha. I'm glad the cardio will help that as well!

--------------------

#189880 - 06/28/05 02:30 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Another great cardio activity is spinning, which also offers some really great interval workout options! Along with running, spinning is a GREAT cardiovascular workout! I'm hooked!

#189924 - 06/28/05 05:01 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Loc: Maryland

awesome! unfortunately my gym doesn't have spinning

--------------------

#189947 - 06/28/05 05:40 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

oh no! Well, if it is ever offered I definitely suggest trying it out. It is a huge challenge, but a fun one at that! )

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12028

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review