All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Shell, I LOVE your new pic! new
      #184343 - 06/07/05 11:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

You look GORGEOUS! And I adore that color on you!

Love ya!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shell, I LOVE your new pic! new
      #184351 - 06/07/05 11:47 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

You look GORGEOUS! And I adore that color on you!

Love ya!

Ruchie

Thanks Ruchie!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Purees and protein new
      #184469 - 06/07/05 06:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

The protein is in the vegetables, the greens. You can, however, add more protein from other sources. You can add protein powder (and there are many varieties from which to choose) spirulina or soy (if it should be agreeable) or rice protein powder or mushroom powder or pea protein powder or nuts, seeds, and other legumes. Every food has a protein value, even foods most would not consider protein. Grains supply protein and tubers and roots, too. Should you desire a higher protein diet, it's quite easy to fortify and enrich. I personally have no desire or need to be on a high protein diet and only give myself the minium. I'm more of a carb type. Greens, especially spinach are good sources of glutamine. Note: I'm not giving anyone nutritional advice.
I also take an amino acid supplement and I do have a malabsorption problem, but since I started eating like this and gf my hair has grown back and that's a good thing--a miraculous thing.

#184507 - 06/07/05 10:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks Kate! I had no IDEA that veggies contained a significatn amount of protein. I thought the protein they contained was negligable. I'll have to do some research...what great info.! Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm back... new
      #184508 - 06/07/05 10:15 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi all! Sorry I've been MIA for reporting the last little while. I've just started a new job (which is actually my old job from before going to university, and which I'm very happy about) and the shift is from 4pm to midnight, so it took me a little while to adjust / work out a good eating schedule etc. I'm a little busier now, trying to keep up with posts on the diet board and such (I can't believe how much traffic there is lately!) but hopefully I'll be able to find time to fitday and report in every day too!

june 6
10am prebreakfast 1/2 cup applesauce

10:30am sprint/walk intervals for 15 mins, abs workout

11:30am breakfast 1 cup oatmeal, 3/4 cup applesauce, 5 almonds, 1 cup egg whites, 1/2 cup spinach

2:30pm lunch 1.25 cup minestrone soup, vegan 'salami' sandwich on english muffin with mustard, 1/2 cup applesauce

5pm snack 1 Luna bar

8pm dinner 1 slice bread, 1/2 salmon fillet, 1/2 cup beets, 1 med. sweet potato, 1/2 cup applesauce

11pm snack 25ish rice crackers, 1/2 cup applesauce

12:30am snack english muffin

totals
I actually didn't put all this into fitday so I'm not totally sure, but my guess is probably around 1900 calories, hopefully enough protein

water not really sure, but probably not enough...

Shell - I love your new pic, btw!

Re: Laurel, new
      #184531 - 06/08/05 06:42 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Where do you buy Luna Bars in Canada?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Laurel, new
      #184544 - 06/08/05 07:28 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am not Laurel (obviously, lol) but I have seen them at Loblaws & Walmart in the health food section, not all the flavours are there. They are a little more then the 99 cents a bar the US ladies talk about. I tried 2 flavours, wish I could remember which ones and did not like them but I was thinking of giving them another try. Actually, I was looking at them at Walmart yesturday but thought I would wait. Everytime I go in that store I can't leave without a billion things I didn't go in there for!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#184577 - 06/08/05 08:22 AM
Wind

Sometimes, when people ask me re: my protein intake (and they bug a lot of vegans about it) I say "the same place a gorilla or a cow does!!! So, I eat like a cow or a gorilla or most animals. Trust me, I monitor my protein intake and it's really hard not to get enough unless you aren't eating or you're eating junk. You don't need to eat soy at all. You don't even have to eat beans. You don't even have to eat nuts and seeds. It's easy to get enough tryptophan naturally in foods, too. Also, I forgot to mention Hemp as a source of protein. You have to also keep in mind the popular "low carb" mentality that has invaded society. I personally don't adhere to this trendy thinking. It is also detrimental to IBS, according to Heather VV.

Anyways, like I said, just eat like a cow or a gorilla or a chicken or yes, a pig (those adorable animals raised for bacon, etc.)and you'll get enough protein. Hmmm...eating like a giraffe? Let's go to the zoo! (Yes, I'm being completely absurd, I know. But serious, of course.)

#184579 - 06/08/05 08:23 AM
Wind

I forgot to mention certain grains that are protein powerhouses, i.e. quinoa and amaranth, millet isn't bad either. But if you're not keen on those than don't bother.

Luna bars in Canada... new
      #184593 - 06/08/05 08:45 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

In London I bought them at the Loblaws by Masonville (or the one on Wonderland if I was out that way). Here in North Bay they have them at Sobeys and Independent Grocer too. Generally if it's a big grocery store and they have one of those trendy 'natural foods' sections they'll have them. Most health food stores seem to have them too - I popped randomly into one in Toronto in Kensington a while back just to see if they had them and they did!

They *are* pretty expensive though... certainly not 99 cents! More like $1.50 a piece... I probably won't keep buying them when I go back to London in the fall but for now my mom is happy to put them on her grocery bill for me, lol

I found out where they were sold in London & North Bay by emailing the Eastern Canada rep, Jane Karjala - her email is jane.marsham@primus.ca (or phone (905) 686-7145), which is posted on this page on the Luna Bars website.

Edited by retrograde (06/08/05 08:47 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14136

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review