All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
constant sudden attacks PLEASE HELP ME
      #183237 - 06/03/05 09:36 AM
Badtummy4

Reged: 03/09/05

Hi,
I have had IBS with alternating diareah and constipation since i was 7. and its always been managable with diet and fiber. But about a year ago it got worse and more frequent. I know alot of it is stress, because when i went onvacation last week i felt fine the whole time. But now I am back and its starting again, ill get an attack in the morning with stools ranging anwhere from soft to straight water. Yesterday was the worst i got a soft painful stool movement in the morning then was fine all day cept for 4 pm On my wa yhome from work i had to go so bad that I actually meesed myself nt he car because i was stuck in traffic, i got home ran into the bathroom and cried . its ruining my life now, i take fiber I take levbid wich helps a bit, I mind my diet excersice wathc my stress, I dont know what to do anymore, these attacks drain me so bad i sleep the whole next day, I had to call off of work today because I cant drive im so exhausted, the relaitonship between my fiance and i is suffering because I ahve no libido (he's great and supportsme but I feel bad) im tired all the time. I miss lots or work. I dontknwo what to do. my doctors just shrug thier shoulders. I was wondering if any of these problems ould be triggers.

I take nexuim and have heard that sometimes that causes diarreah

Could I have an overgrowth of yeast in my body causing this

could i have had a bowle infection for this whole past year and not known it

my temp is 99.6 is that high?

I dontknow if anyone can help but im so scared i just at am a loss.
Sorry aboutv the misspellings I am very tired and could care less.
thanks in advance

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: constant sudden attacks PLEASE HELP ME new
      #183263 - 06/03/05 10:19 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there. First of all, welcome to the site. I hope that you can find some good information and support here, 'cause it sure does sound like you need it right now!!
The first peice of advice that I'd like to give you is to post any questions and stuff like this on the IBS Diet board.. This board is for fitness questions and things, mostly about people mainting their weight and stuff like that. So if you want to reply to this post, I'd just start a new thread on the Diet board and you are sure to get way more responses.

Okay, I am so sorry for what you are going through. It sounds like if it is IBS that you have, you have it very very severely. That leads me to my first questions for you..
Have you actually been diagnosed with IBS by a GI doctor? Have you had all the necessary tests done to rule out anything else? Even if you have but since your symptoms have CHANGED, it is important to have the tests done again to make sure that you aren't suffering from something else.

If it is IBS, then there are loads of things that you can try. Have you tried going on Heather's "What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything" diet? If you go on that for a few days, it might help your stomach calm down. After that, it's important to add foods back in really slowly and carefully. Are you keeping a record of everything you are eating? A food diary can be really helpful in figuring out what is making you sick as well. (Also log any medications).

You mentioned that you think it is stress related, which is the case for so many of us! That being said, are you on any sort of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant? I know you mentioned a medication, but I didn't recognise the name so if it is one of those, sorry in advance. If you aren't on one, it might be worth looking into and speaking to your doctor about. There is also the hypnotherapy program (see the Hypnosis Board for details) that has done wonders for people who have stress-related IBS attacks, even people who haven't responded well to medications. Things like yoga and meditation can also be helpful.

Has your doctor put you on an anti-spasmodic? There are loads of prescription ones that should help, you should ask your doctor about this too. Even if one doesn't work, try others. It took me three different ones to find one that worked. For an over the counter solution, peppermint oil capsules are strong anti-spasmodics. You can get them at a Health Food Store, and they have been really helpful for a lot of people. Along the same lines, peppermint TEA is also good. Fennel tea is really good as well.

Have you ever taken probiotics? They can also be really helpful. As can calcium supplements.

Do you ever take immodium or anything like that to stop the D? When I was getting stable, I started taking one every day before work when someone suggested it to me here and it really seemed to help. It's safe to take, and it might really help.. especially if you could take it before commuting and stuff like that.

If your doctor just shrugs, you need to find a new doctor. There are so many doctors out there that just don't have a clue, but there are some that do. You need to find someone who will help you. Ideally, you should really be seeing a Gastroentrologist. When you go, you need to be assertive and have questions ready that you NEED answered. If he or she can't help you, demand that you be sent to someone who can. It's your body, and doctors are paid to help.. you have every right to expect that help.

If you are worried about bacteria in your stomach, there is a really simple test where you just blow in a tube and they can test for it. Treating that would be fairly simple, definitely worth getting the test done.

You need to be drinking loads and loads of water (and herbal teas are good as well). If you are having such bad D, you are probably really dehydrated. That could explain the slightly elevated temperature as well.

Don't worry about spelling or anything, it is completely understandable that you are feeling exhausted and upset and scared. Hopefully, though, we will be able to help you and you'll be able to help yourself with some information and you'll be on your way to stable.
Keep in mind that IBS is a chronic condition - sometimes it takes a long time to get stable, and after that it does require a lot of 'maintenance' to stay stable. Try not to get discouraged if it's slow going at first, or if you have some hiccups.. just try and focus on your body and the positive changes you can start to make.

Good luck, and I'll see you on the Diet board if you have any other questions!
Let us know how you are feeling and everything, we'll want updates to make sure you're alright!!

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Stephie's given great advice. new
      #183423 - 06/04/05 03:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Immodium as a preventative was a Godsend for me...it allowed me to keep my life together while I worked on stabilising. I was having 15 BMs a day so I understand about having your life ruled by the IBS!

And a-d's can help you cope so much better even if they don't help the actual IBS. Everything just seemed so much more manageable after I started them.

Watch out for dehydration. I always had to drink rehydration drinks alot when I was badly D. The tiredness and lethargy could be mainly due to that, you know?

And please make sure you're properly diagnosed and checked out. It's so important.

Good luck!

Re: constant sudden attacks PLEASE HELP ME new
      #184260 - 06/07/05 09:25 AM
Badtummy4

Reged: 03/09/05

Thank you all so much for the wonderful suggestions , I went back to my doctor and he sent me to the world renowned Cleveland Clinic, I have an appt, tommorrow and they are running a specimin sample, and we will talk about and anti anxiety drug since anxiety seems to be my worst. I have upped my fiber and started eating fiber with every meal, this actually seems to help a little bit. Also when I am really sleepy I noticed I dont get attacks. Wich leads me to belive it really is stress. But the doctors are also looking into other tests, i had every one for the stomach done except for a sigmoid so they are looking into that. Ill keep you updated, Your angels!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review