All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
emergency!!!
      #183074 - 06/02/05 07:57 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i went to old navy today to buy a *new* swimsuit--[not something i was looking forward to doing but--] i got one, and its really cute! only, theres "places" that i really want to tone but i cant afford a gym membership right now as far as exercise, what i do is pilates in the morning, one good long butt-clenching dog or baby walk and thats pretty much it. i was planning on starting running at nighttime, just around the block, and only 3 times/week [otherwise ill set myself a goal i wont follow] but i havent started yet. i guess i wanted to stablize my eating a little better so i feel more into a routine--and THEN add in more exercise. buuuut what other exercises are REALLLY good for toning/shaping parts?? mainly my sides[obliques] and my thighs?? im sure i can take care of the rest! i just want my swimsuit to look nice on me for summer. thanks guys!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: emergency!!! new
      #183097 - 06/02/05 10:04 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey! - it's Ashley, right? (yeesh, sorry I'm bad at remembering names tonight...)

Oh swimsuit shopping! (I really need to do that myself sometime in the near future!) Anyway, here's the deal with toning: there really isn't such a thing... That is, you can't target an area of your body that's a little uh, flabby(?) or whatever (I'm sure you're far from flabby, m'dear!), and make it nice and hard (no matter how many late night informercials for gimmicky things like 'ad busters' tell you you can!). Our bodies pick where the fat gets stored first - and consequently where it gets lost last. So, mostly for reproductive purposes I'd imagine, us ladies get stuck with stubborn butts and thighs, and the stomach (covering up those abs) and "love handles" (obliques) are problematic for everyone. (Now you know why all those 'ab buster' thingys DON'T work! Everyone has abs... some people's are just hiding underneath a thicker layer of tissue... )

So basically the short version is that to make these areas look tighter, you need to engage in some full-body fat loss stuff. Since you're not going to the gym any time soon, cardio like runs around the block are great for this. The best fat burning cardio is interval cardio - i.e. sprint really fast for a minute then walk for a minute, then sprint for a minute, then walk for a minute... etc. (Keeps things interesting too!)

Diet is also really important too. You don't need to eat like you're trying to lose a bunch of weight or anything but make sure you're eating 'clean' (as they say, i.e. with as little junky foods as possible) and that you're eating ENOUGH but not too much (both ends of the spectrum are very important.) Looking at your posts though, your diet seems to be great, so I don't think you have much to worry about there at all.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!

By the way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (how old are you today?) -nt- new
      #183098 - 06/02/05 10:05 PM
retrograde

#183136 - 06/03/05 06:58 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hey Ashley,
A good resource for some fitness tips: www.shape.com and then go into their workout index where exercises are sorted according to "target areas" (e.g., body parts like "abs" or "thighs" etc.). They have some helpful exercises perfect for what yuo re looking for!

Hope this helsp!

#183530 - 06/04/05 07:14 PM
little bear

hey thanks! i enjoy reading your fitday posts as well! got any cool recipes w/beets?? i remember you said you loved them so much---are the good/bad for C's??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: By the way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (how old are you today?) -nt- new
      #183531 - 06/04/05 07:15 PM
little bear

haha thanks again!! actually yesterday june 3rd i turned 20 years old--but i still look like im 16 hehe

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#183532 - 06/04/05 07:16 PM
little bear

thanks!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#183620 - 06/05/05 08:51 AM
retrograde

Hey Ashley! We're the same age! Well, I'll be 21 in a few months but for now we're the same age. (And yeah, no one believes that I'm 20 either, lol )

Haha, me and my beets. Here's a post a made to Elizabeth not that long ago about what I like to do with them. Beets are actually a soluble fiber food (when cooked, obviously) so yeah they're good for everyone!

Glad you like to read my fitday posts... I've been so bad at doing them lately though I've started working full time night-shift again so that's my excuse, but I'll probably start back at it this week (the fact that people *read* them is good incentive to kick myself in the butt and actually post them! lol)

#183668 - 06/05/05 12:24 PM
little bear

haha--yah i hate when i get behind on them too! b/c then i have to back-track and think about everything i ate in the past few days and in what order so i can write it down the most i ever get behind is like 2 days or so.

my fitday account bugs me. i always want to add in foods but the frustration of finding the 'exact calculations' pushes me away and i forget about it all-together! plus i always get self-conscious that anyone who sees me organizing my food and counting cals/fiber/intake will think i have an ED when i was explaining to my OB/GYN about my IBS troubles and telling her how closely i keep track of my food and possible triggers, she gave me a # and recommended i "seek help for my depression and apparent eating disorder" and then she kept insisting i was in denial when she would bring up my weight. it was pretty hurtful. has that ever happened to you? thats pretty much why i keep @ posting daily here in the fitness board

so do the beets cause any kind of C? or gas?? ive only eaten them when i was younger so i dont really remember--but i know i liked them!

me and my BFs age did the same thing--for 4 weeks we were the same age before i turned 20 does anyone ever tell you how young you look?? since you said no one thinks you are? i get that so much its crazy!! i almost wanna blow up my lisence and hang it around my neck for proof!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#183696 - 06/05/05 02:03 PM
retrograde

Yeah I remember when you posted that re: your OBGYN. That's really offensive, in my opinion. Happily that's never happened to me though my parents do tease me from time to time for being so obsessive with my fitday-ing (my bf does it all the time too, for fitness reasons more than anything, so we're 'in it together', lol).

Really, I don't think people understand how much you have scrutinize what you eat when you have IBS. You have to pay attention to EVERYTHING that goes into your body, every little ingredient. I sometimes wish I could go back to just eating whatever whenever, but I can't. I actually really started to doing fitday specificially with the goal of getting my eating in order and planning what I would eat each day, seeing how much fat etc... to control my IBS. Control is a big thing I think - feeling in control of my body, which, with IBS is something I don't always have. So if, to get that control, I need to write down everything I eat and plan what I'm going to be eating every morning, then so be it. It may look like an ED to some, but it's what I need to do to stay attack-free, so let others think what they will

Beets shouldn't cause C at all. While I've never used them as an SF base for a meal (I usually have them with rice or pasta or a potato or something) they *are* an SF food, so they won't hurt - and they will probably HELP! So feel free to eat up!

Haha I totally know what you mean about the license thing...! No one ever believes me at clubs or liquor stores etc. that I'm over 19 (which is the age of majority here!) Seriously, the clerks at the liquors stores always write down all my info because they all believe that my ID is fake - so embarassing! lol

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4735

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review