All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
insomnia
      #182556 - 06/01/05 12:39 PM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I am new at this, having never used msg. boards or chat rooms, so I'm not sure I'm in the right place.

Does anyone have insomnia with their IBS problems, and what do they do for it?

I have been on Heather's program for two months now (after many years of meds, etc. and no relief). I am feeling much better, but I have chronic insomnia that even sleep aids, like Ambien, don't give me that much rest. I thought maybe the diet change would help, but so far no; and I have been sticking to it "by the book"!

Anyone have any ideas or tell me where I should look or go? Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: insomnia new
      #182662 - 06/01/05 04:29 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Don't worry! These boards can be confusing, so don't worry about posting it here. You might get more responses on the Eating for IBS Diet Board, you can try there. Have you tried yoga? Lots of IBSers have had good luck with it. Also, I once read that 1 - 2 tbsp of peanut butter after supper or before bed can help you to sleep. Worth a try.
Hopefully, others will have some more ideas, too.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#182710 - 06/01/05 06:53 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Have you tried magnesium? It really "mellows," me and calms me down--I sleep like a cat; meaning I've very restless and up and down all the time.

Tryptophan is another relaxant.

Personally, because I just don't sleep au naturel, I take prescription sleeping pills and brew a large pot of "SleepyTime" tea, or extra-strength "SleepyTime" tea.

Also, a low protein, carb centered meal for supper helps.

And "lavender" essential oil too. I put it on my pillow, in the bath--a bubble bath is totally relaxing! I read the most boring book I can find. By then, I'm OUT--unconscious!

I've heard about the warm milk and honey cure, but I think the milk part would be detrimental to IBS! Perhaps some soy, rice or almond milk? Bananas are high in tryptophan.

#182876 - 06/02/05 09:39 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

Thanks for the info., but my problem is worse than that I guess. I drink Chamomille tea, tried catnip and chamomile, take MG at bedtime and take sleeping pills (ie: ambien 10 mg. or now the new Lumestra, which I don't think is as effective as Ambien. I will go to sleep immediately, but in 4 hours I am wide awake.

Also, I have tried the 5-HTP, which is supposed to help increase Serotonin (it's a precursor to Serotonin) and therefore help the gut digestion and sleeplessness. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Then I am exhausted all day and wide awake again at night. You might have something with the low protein eating at night. .......and another thought, since I've been on Heather's diet for the last two months, I eaten a lot more sugar than I would normally have eaten before. I wonder about the sugar?

Re: insomnia/sugar new
      #183051 - 06/02/05 06:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm a little biased when it comes to sugar--that "white" stuff. I don't use it; I don't add it too a thing. I think it's nauseating among other things. We require carbohydrates not that "white" stuff. There is enough natural "sugars" and carbohydrates in food without adding stuff. I know with me, sugar makes me restless, irritable, wired and simultaneously tired. I avoid it like the plague.
It's a stimulant. There's a huge difference between white sugar and say a carrot or a banana or a potatoe/sweet potatoe, applesauce, rice, spinach etc. etc. I'm not anti-carb in the least, just the "white stuff." Note, I'm not prescribing anything or preaching anything. I just know that sugar ruins my day, my night, and my life...sleep included.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2530

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review