All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Figuring Fat Percentages new
      #180688 - 05/22/05 06:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was figuring percentages a couple days ago and DH was so amazed that I actually knew the formula to use. He uses formulas at work all day and was amazed when I said fat has 9 cals per gram. LOL. You can do a quick guesstimate if you just multiply by 10. So 3 grams in 100 cals would be about 30% in guesstimate terms. 5 grams in 300 cals would be around 15%. This is just the quick and not so accurate method.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Figuring Fat Percentages new
      #180695 - 05/22/05 06:25 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Fitday PC is AWESOME. I would pay $100 for it - I use it that much.

I keep my fat that low for IBS reasons. I am super sensitive to fat in any form and keeping it super low works for me. I do take Omega 3:6:9 by NOW, twice a day to give me the much-needed omega fatty acids. This helps me to "go" also.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: 10-15% new
      #180729 - 05/23/05 05:49 AM
Ghost

Reged: 04/24/05

Dear Cindy,

Like the others, I am really sensitive to fat too--ESPECIALLY in the form of oils. If I have one drop more than whatever I eat can absorb completely, I am ruined for the rest of the day.

I am a vegan and scrounging for calories and protein, so I pretty much have to use nuts in some form; I rely on peanut butter more than I would like, but I still keep my TOTAL fat around 20% or slightly under. The trick that I have learned for using the nuts and/or nut butters is to have them in no more than 1 tbsp. or 1/2 oz. servings and have them with my largest meals--breakfast, lunch, and dinner--so as to keep the calorie/fat proportions better. I started following Heather's general recommendation to eat a good bit of my SF first--say, oatmeal or rice--and then work in the nut fat a bite or so at a time, followed by veggies or whatever (since fat takes a lot longer to digest, so eating things in a certain order can help). That helps to keep it from setting me off.

I think going too low on fat is definitely not a good idea. The nutritionist I was seeing for a while always gave me a hard time if my fat dropped too low, and there definitely seems to be POSITIVE affects from the right fats in your system--if you tend to have C, which I do sometimes (IBS-A here).

Be well.
-Justin

figured fat for Luna bars new
      #180744 - 05/23/05 08:28 AM
Little Minnie

180 cals and 4.5 grams of fat is 22.5% fat. I wish they had not raised the fat on those things! Cranberry flavor is still 3 grams I think but is so sour! I don't know how Shell can stand them.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: figured fat for Luna bars new
      #180749 - 05/23/05 09:00 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yeah there are some that are higher... which sucks :P I don't seem to have a problem with the ones that around around 3g though, even though they're higher than I usually eat.

Re: fat new
      #180750 - 05/23/05 09:01 AM
retrograde

I'm not entirely sure about that... With the exception of Elizabeth, I *think* that everyone commenting here is D, so maybe C's need more fat??? I think it's really individual though, the amount of fat people can tolerate. I know Casey keeps it around 15% too (and she's A).

Re: 10-15% new
      #180752 - 05/23/05 09:05 AM
retrograde

Yes, fats are definitely important for health. You can't safely (or really, possibly) go on a no-fat diet, and I think anything much below 10% is getting a little low... I don't know. I was mentioning to Elizabeth that I take EFAs (essential fatty acids in capsule form - Omega 3's and 6's) to make sure I'm getting the important nutrients (or whatever it is in the fats) that I may be missing my eating low fat. I have been eating more nuts and such lately too.

Re: figured fat for Luna bars new
      #180758 - 05/23/05 09:46 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

The toasted nuts n' cranberry ones are 4g of fat now. I wish they had not added another gram of fat! But I can still tolerate those pretty well - it's the ones with 5g of fat that I don't do as well with.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

I think the new peanut butter cookie flavor has 6 grams!- nt new
      #180820 - 05/23/05 03:53 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

One more fat % question new
      #180996 - 05/24/05 04:15 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I entered all my foods today in Fitday (very cool). The total number of fat grams was 17, but my fat percentage for the day was 15%. So should I try to keep the total of fat grams under a certain number for the day even though the overall percentage worked out to 15%?

Sorry but this seems so confusing to me. Hopefully now with FitDay I can really keep track of everything. I like the report on nutrients too. I decided to start taking a multiple vitamin.

Cindy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13862

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review