All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
French Women Don't Get Fat
      #179957 - 05/18/05 06:40 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Just curious if anyone else has read this book. I'm a good bit into it now and some of it really makes sense. Anyone else doing this?
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: French Women Don't Get Fat new
      #179997 - 05/19/05 05:39 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

The problem with that book is they fail to mention the massive amount of cigarettes the average French woman smokes... those will certainly supress your appetite.

#180051 - 05/19/05 08:11 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I thought the same thing, but the book actually says the opposite. She talks about a woman who always ate a ton of cream sauces, and she figured out that this craving was actually related to the cigarettes. Because smoking kills your senses of smell and taste, smokers don't feel satisfied by the subtle seasonings that nonsmokers can enjoy. Because seasonings are more soluable in fats, it makes sense that smokers would crave heavy, fatty sauces, since that's when they can taste flavors better. Obviously you are right that cigarettes supress the appetite, but the author is a nonsmoker, and her whole approach is about satisfying your palate with diversity of textures and flavors, instead of shoveling in the same old boring pasta and bagles and wondering why we don't feel satisfied. Of course, she makes generalizations about French and American eaters, and there are always exceptions to generalizations. But the point is to take eating seriously, vary your diet, and sit down to a nice place setting with the TV off and concentrate on the flavors and textures. The idea is that you will feel more satisfied with less food. Who knows, we'll see if she's right. I'm going to give it a few weeks and see what happens. She also advocates going to the market every couple of days for the food you'll eat that day and the next, rather than loading up at the supermarket every 2 weeks. Walking walking walking, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, drinking a ton of water, etc. The idea is to eat for pleasure and take pleasure in eating, and then you won't be mindlessly snacking, etc. Sorry my post is kind of incoherent; I'm still making sense of all of her suggestions. I'm not sure I'm going to take all of her advice, but it is compatible with the IBS diet (as long as you properly sub in her recipes)and it makes sense that feeling satisfied by your meals is a better way to avoid snacking than just sheer willpower and deprivation. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to give it 3 months and see what happens.

--------------------
Amanda

#180058 - 05/19/05 08:50 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Amanda, I'm Belgian, have been living in the US for almost 6 years now, and I have to say that reading this book has helped me to pick up my old lifestyle and habits.. (French, Belgian, German, we all have similar lifestyles in Europe, and believe me, it is (or maybe was.. things do change there too) much slower and much more focused on quality than here - IMHO - with that I mean more focused on non-materialistic quality, if that makes any sense). I have always had body image issues, but they got sooo much worse when I moved here, as well as the IBS-symptoms (I have not been diagnosed but I've suffered from many of the symptoms). I am now eating more like I used to, and allowing myself good food, even if they're "bad" for you and I am feeling much better, don't obsess with food as much anymore, so if you can, give it a try. I find that it improves quality of life if nothing else. Good luck!

--------------------
nicky

That's such a cool idea! new
      #180122 - 05/19/05 12:50 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I really think that enjoying food is important to be healthy. I eat loads more crap when I'm not getting the (healthy) foods I like.

But French women do get fat...once they're married with kids!

#180146 - 05/19/05 02:42 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I like the idea that "it's gonna be there tomorrow," i.e. that
certain "whatever" (fill in the blank, treat). That's always been my philosophy.

Also, I like the idea that the French eat "fresh" food, real food. The serving sizes are much more realistic. Their "yogurt" fetish is based on a good idea, probiotics and calcium, although note that yogurt is generally an IBS trigger. The saturated fat and dairy would kill me, but that's just me and my system. The philosophies are quite sound. And the French walk!!! Now that's a breath of fresh air. It's not a big "drive thru" please culture. Food is also social.

#180151 - 05/19/05 02:59 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

You are right about yogurt being a trigger, as is just about all dairy. As I've been stable for a really long time now (two years I think?) I am trying to see what I can get away with. But, there is no reason the diet can't work with soy yogurt, right? Wildwood Soy Yogurt in Plain is very authentic tasting (and I grew up on homemade yogurt). For now I'm eating organic real yogurt (made with whole milk! ) but just teeny portions at a time. We'll see how I do.

BTW -- by "stable" for 2 years, I don't mean that I haven't had any attacks. But, I've had only a handful over the last two years, and only when I'm both stressed and eating badly. So, I think it might be safe to venture away from the diet just a teensy weensy bit!

--------------------
Amanda

#180180 - 05/19/05 05:05 PM
freeda

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: SW Michigan

Also I think French women ( and european women in general ) walk more than American women. Old roads, architecture, etc, make things less accessable than our WalMarts with the jumbo parking lots.

--------------------
Knowledge is power.

#180218 - 05/19/05 08:50 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Yeah you're totally right about the walking. I'm trying my best to do more of it. I'm lucky in that the book was written by a women who mainly lives in NYC, so a lot of the tips are really relevant / doable for me. I imagine it's harder for our midwesterners / other suburbanites who really cannot walk to work or anything.

--------------------
Amanda

#180268 - 05/20/05 06:38 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

It is true. Europeans walk and bike everywhere. The thing is that the cities here are so old that driving is a pain. It is easier to take the Metro or walk to your destination. Yes, the French are thinner than Americans, Brits, or Germans. But, by far the thinnest, I think, are the Italians.

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

#180293 - 05/20/05 08:16 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

Quote:

But, by far the thinnest, I think, are the Italians.

Why do you think that is? A friend from work went to Italy for vacation and she said the same thing. And it's not that they don't eat carbs!!
Cindy

Skinny Italian women new
      #180307 - 05/20/05 08:38 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

funny you should say that about Italian women... I think I know the secret When I was working in Italy, one of my (male) Italian friends told me that "le donne devono far finta di mangiare" transl: women should pretend to eat... implying that they shouldn't eat at all! Basically he made a comment on my healthy appetite, I should not eat as much as I do (I am by no means overweight, so needless to say I was a bit offended, but when I think about that comment now, it just makes me laugh!).
Anyway, that's probably the big secret (just kidding). However, older women, after they've been married and had some kids, do get more overweight though.. that's what I've always noticed.

But all kidding aside, balance, smart choices, enjoying your food, no "forbidden" foods, are key elements that the author points out in her book, and focusing on those rather than obsessing like a lot of us here do, will help with accepting your body and eventually losing whatever extra weight you might carry around.

And the comment some people made about how Europeans walk a lot more is sooo true! Before I came to the US, I didn't exercise, and sure, I carried a few pounds extra that I didn't really need, but wasn't considered overweight by any means, but I walked.. tons. just to get from point a to b, most of the time I'd either walk or ride my bike, because for the longest time I didn't have a car, and I did not live in the city. Unfortunately, because everything in the US is so much bigger, it's harder for people who don't live in the city to walk without it being an intentional walk. I live now 20 minutes walking distance from work, and I walk at least once a week to work! And I looooove it! And I don't consider it exercise, it's just part of life..

ok.. I'm gonna stop now, before I start ranting about quality of life and the rush-like lifestyle of too many people I know...
Just wanted to share my little story about my Italian friend's comment.
Have a GREAT FRIDAY!!!

--------------------
nicky

Miracle Leek Soup new
      #181673 - 05/27/05 03:14 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I know this is kind of risky and not the most IBS-safe thing to do, but I was intrigued so I gave it a try. Plus, I've been really stable for a while, and I had a feeling I could get away with it ...

To kickstart getting in shape, the author reccommends doing a Miracle Leek Soup weekend. Weekdays work better for me so from Wednesday at 6pm to Friday at 6pm, I did the Leek Soup diet. I know it sounds cheesy and a lot like the cabbage soup diet, but it's only supposed to be done a couple times a year. I boiled 2 pounds of leeks (actually a combo of leeks and ramps) for 30 min and reserved the water. For meals and whenever hungry, I ate 1/2 cup of leeks. In addition, every 2 to 3 hours, I drank a cup of the leek broth. Mid-day on Thursday my tummy got too rumbly, so I did have a piece of whole wheat toast, dry. Oh and a teensy bit of cheese because it looked yummy. Today I followed the diet again, but also had a piece of whole wheat toast again, and some dry honeycombs. I figured being an IBS patient entitled me to fudging the rules just a bit. I have been gurgly and gassy, but it's not terrible. I had two huge BMs, one this morning and one yesterday. I must have been C and didn't even notice it. Also, since leeks are a mild diuretic, it encourages your body to get rid of a lot of water. So I also peed my brains out for the last few days.
I'm not weighing myself (It's simply not French to do so!) but today I went shopping for work clothes and bought several pairs of pants in sizes 4 and 2. I can't remember the last time I fit into size 2 dress pants, but they look great. I know a lot of it is probably water, but I also like the idea of retraining my belly to expect less food at each sitting. Hopefully the last two days accomplished that. Tonight I'll break the fast and have a small piece of chicken with two veggies.
Anyway, I don't reccommend the leek soup thing unless you are incredibly stable (and living alone -- lots of gas) but I do think it did the trick to make me feel slimmer and also in control of my willpower!

--------------------
Amanda

#181928 - 05/29/05 10:51 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i eat the Wildwood Organic SoYogurt too!! the probiotic one?? i *really* like the vanilla one and theres a brand, WholeSoy that makes a lemon flavor too only, the lemons arent organic so sadly, i must discontinue but the vanilla works just as well! have you ever tried making a fruit-smoothie using this yogurt?? it works really well as a base b/c its pretty thin! unlike reg.yogurt---heres a recipe: easy soyogurt smoothies!!

what is that book about? b/c it sounds interesting! tell me more if you can!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#181930 - 05/30/05 12:06 AM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Panda, when did you morph into the mona Lisa? I much preferred your other pic!
I heard the author of this book speak on the teev, and it sounded quite good, the gist of it seemed to be enjoying small quantities of good food instead of pigging out on junk, is that it?
Ralph

Amanda, how did you do with this? -nt- new
      #182285 - 05/31/05 02:49 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Amanda, how did you do with this? -nt- new
      #182442 - 06/01/05 06:17 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

So far so good. I haven't weighed myself, but I've worn suits the past two days (summer job) and the definitely fit differently than they did when I bought them a month ago. Old habits die hard though -- I'm still eating in front of the tv or computer now and then, and I've been too busy to sit down to nice meals. I'm trying to pay attention to variety and all of that, so we'll see. I'm hoping a desk job (at a law firm) won't make me fat!

I saw in your other post that you decided not to do the Zone afterall. I looked into it too and it just seems like a lot of work. I hate measuring -- it's not how I learned to cook. This French Women book seems to be a lot more sensible and a lot more livable.

--------------------
Amanda

Amanda, you've intrigued me...... new
      #182585 - 06/01/05 01:09 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

so much that I bought this book on Amazon and will get it Friday!! I'm looking forward to reading this woman's perspective.....

--------------------

Great! new
      #183184 - 06/03/05 08:42 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Let me know what you think!

--------------------
Amanda

#183185 - 06/03/05 08:44 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Awww. Well I got kind of annoyed with my old pic. I have a love-hate relationship with my nose (okay, mostly hate) and I think it looked kinda long and crooked in that picture. I can only deal with that for so long! I have some better pics from a recent trip that I will try to put up soon, but for now, the old one just had to come down. I picked this one because I just saw the Mona Lisa on my last trip to Paris, last summer, and because I had an english springer spaniel growing up. So, I thought it was cute. Plus sometimes I worry about freakish stalker types online, you know?

--------------------
Amanda

I've lost 2 pounds! new
      #184652 - 06/08/05 10:29 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Wooohoo I'm so happy. When I was working out 2x a week with a trainer for 2 months, I didn't lose an ounce! Now, I've been doing the "French Women" diet and just generally being sensible about food, and trying to walk as much as I can. I've been to the gym about 2x in the last month. I went last night on the way home from work, and weighed myself. Keep in mind that this was 7pm after a full day of eating (minus dinner), on the night before the start of my period, and I was down 2 pounds. I had been absolutely STUCK at 128 forever, and now I'm at 126! I am thrilled. I haven't been able to lose weight in so long. I don't own a scale, so I hadn't weighed myself since starting the French Women diet, which I think was about 3 weeks ago. I am feeling sooo good. I thought that my suits were fitting a little differently than they had when I bought them; now I know it wasn't my imagination! Wooohoo let's hope this keeps on working!

--------------------
Amanda

Ooh!! new
      #184746 - 06/08/05 01:07 PM
epa_ginger

I got the book Friday but I wanted to finish the library book I was reading first. JUST finished today on my lunch break so I will begin reading tonight. I, too, am stuck at a weight and really only want to lose like 5 lbs MAX, but it's so darn hard! I'm excited to read it, and happy to hear you've seen some results. Even if it is a lot of practical/common sense type stuff, sometimes reading it in print from someone else just makes it seem more effective.

--------------------

Re: Ooh!! new
      #184780 - 06/08/05 01:36 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Yup, sounds like you and I are in the same boat. It kind of drives me nuts that I was working so hard before and had no results, and then lost 2 pounds through such a simple plan. Oh well, I guess that's a nice thing to be angry about! Hopefully I'll lose 2-4 more pounds. I'd be thrilled to be 122. Somehow my mom, who is an inch taller than I and who struggled with her weight as a child (I, on the other hand, was scrawny), was 117 at my age and was down to 120 after each of her 3 children. I'm 23, childless, and 126. What gives?

--------------------
Amanda

I hear you! new
      #184791 - 06/08/05 01:47 PM
epa_ginger

No kids here yet either, but I'm 28, and I think...sheesh, if I can't do it now, how will I do it then?? I know the last few pounds are always the hardest. But I've been on this plateau for over a year and it's driving me nuts. Time to switch things up a bit!! I'm glad it's summer and I can do more outside.
Incindentally, my mom was pretty skinny at my age...AFTER she had all three kids, and now...well, she's not fat, but she's got that "mom" stomach (no offense to the moms out there!), and hardly any muscle tone. But she doesn't exercise and hardly watches what she eats. I see that as my example of what NOT to do!

--------------------

Re: I've lost 2 pounds! new
      #184873 - 06/08/05 06:16 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Yay!!
Well done!! I'm happy for you, that's awesome that you managed to shift the pounds just by following a simple plan...

Maybe I will have to buy this book!!
I am going in soon for a breast reduction consultation and will def need to lose some weight before the surgery, so maybe I should invest to help me with that!

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: I've lost 2 pounds! new
      #184962 - 06/09/05 05:14 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks Steph. I definitely think you should give it a try. Lately it sounds like you could use a little more joy in your life, and this book is all about taking pleasure in preparing and eating your food. Go online and read some reviews and see what you think. I don't think it's any kind of miracle diet -- just good sense.

--------------------
Amanda

I'm on page 55 and loving it!--nt new
      #185001 - 06/09/05 07:27 AM
epa_ginger

--------------------

Re: I'm on page 55 and loving it!--nt new
      #185088 - 06/09/05 09:31 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

That's great. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. I finished it in 2 days.

--------------------
Amanda

#185182 - 06/09/05 11:46 AM
epa_ginger

Yeah, I see myself finishing tonight! I'm up to 80 now (lunch break). It's so simple, but kind of eye-opening too. It sounds like a WAY more fun way to deal with food.
I'd like to try the leek soup thing, only I'm afraid my husband would give me a hard time. I'll ask him tonight. He's against fad dieting, but it's not a fad! Just a kickstart, right?

--------------------

#185209 - 06/09/05 12:45 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Yeah, definitely not a fad diet. It's just a way to exert some self control over your body, and to rid yourself of some water weight. You'll definitely need to modify it for ibs, though. I added a slice of toast here and there as needed to help with the gurlglies so I wasn't all D.

--------------------
Amanda

Thanks for the tips!--nt new
      #185217 - 06/09/05 01:09 PM
epa_ginger

--------------------

Interview on WebMd with the author new
      #188322 - 06/22/05 11:41 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I thought you might be interested in this chat between Guiliana and the director of nutrition for WebMd. Here's the link: French Diet - American Women

Thanks! new
      #188330 - 06/22/05 12:20 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'll take a look

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18332

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review