All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Lynx new
      #175524 - 05/01/05 01:49 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Ceasing to ovulate is a royal treat--so, if that's your goal, so be it...but you have to live with the consequences. I still cease to ovulate; I think my body has forgotten how to ovulate. Indeed, I think I've spent more of my life (I'm 30) not ovulating than ovulating. At my age, if I started ovulating, I think I'd have a midlife crisis. Most people don't understand the NEED/DESIRE for control that this is an expression of...the pathology or whatever behind your goal...just be careful. Assert your choice and liberate yourself from monthly bleeding if that is your will. To some degree, we work with nature to achieve our goals. Try some NLP, and create a book of instructions/suggestions for your body to follow.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hey ashley! (little bear) new
      #175742 - 05/02/05 10:19 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

no that makes perfect sense! thankyou so much!! i read this article that hansolo posted and it fit me perfectly. i would say since my vacation last year is when ive been more body-conscious b/c i lost 10 lbs but gained it back "and then some" reading that article, i figured out why im still worried about how i look. i lost the muscle and whatever fat but i gained back all fat instead of muscle. i learned about the calorie comparrision and wanted to make sure *now* that i am being healthy, so thank you again for the BMR!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

I'm concerned... new
      #175832 - 05/02/05 01:38 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

because I have just recovered from an ED and this sounds exactly like me a year ago. My goal was to get so thin that my body stopped ovulating, but not because I really hate my periods but because I wanted to look like a walking skeleton.

Please, please ladies, be good to yourselves. Your body needs fuel to live, so feed it healthily.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: I like WW too new
      #175872 - 05/02/05 02:52 PM
Tina7269

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Buffalo, N.Y.

I also like doing WW's! It's much easier for me! I just ordered Heather's eating for IBS! Can't wait to get that!

--------------------
~~ Tina ~~
For With God Nothing Shall Be Impossible
Luke 1:37

Re: An example of a day's food, to check... new
      #175906 - 05/02/05 04:20 PM
frustrated daughter

Reged: 05/01/05

Hi I'm new to the boards and I was just reading around when I found your post. Since January I've been trying to safely lose weight by running 2.5 miles 6 days a week and eating healthier. I've lost about 15lbs since then and I've been trying to just stay healthy and stay fit. But anyways, I saw that your total daily calorie count was around 1500. My daily calorie count is WAY lower than that, is this unhealthy? Here's my day...
Breakfast: half an english muffin, no butter 60 calories

Lunch: about 3/4 veggie protein sandwich 110 calories

Snack after school: 100 calorie packs

Dinner: usually a chicken dish with rice, from 280-350 calories.

Thats only 550-620 calories a day.. I thought calories were bad, like fattening... am I wrong?

Re: I'm concerned... new
      #175933 - 05/02/05 05:14 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm pleased to report that while I will always have a pathological fascination with being morbidly skeletal, I no longer feel the need to live up to that expectation. I will never menstruate again--a side effect of being anorectic for as long as I remember--but I don't look like a skeleton, just a very skinny, but totally HEALTHY person.

Can you ever really recover from an ED? Just curious. I swear, it's impossible to undo programming. I eat to live and well...maybe I feel more safe and at home inside of myself, inside of my heart that I no longer need to express my sense of emptiness and oblivion through cruelty to my animal self via food deprivation and fear, nazi-like penile tactics.

Eating is hard, especially with IBS. However...there is kindness in Heather's style of eating. The body and soul respond and everyday is more harmonious. There is a part of all of us that is sacred and deserves a chance to be free and creative, which requires energy.

So, Lynx...one of these days you'll arrive at a sense of inner peace and physical peace to. It's inexplicable, but one of these days, you'll feel safe and lovable and express that to your animal self with genuine kindness. Don't give up. It's part of you learning how to be you.

Kate (Wind).

Frustrated Daughter... new
      #175975 - 05/02/05 07:31 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Calories are NOT bad!!! They are what you're body LIVES and FUNCTIONS on! Everybody's body needs a certain number of calories to simply function and you can do your body A LOT of damage by not feeding it enough. So to answer your question, yes I'm afraid the extremely low calorie intake you have listed is WAY too low, especially if you are running 6 days a week! So low I'm actually quite concerned for you.

How old are you? (I seem to remember reading in one of your other posts that you're 15, but I could be wrong about that...?) How much do you weigh? And how are you calculating your calories? It is possible you're underestimating them? That number is terribly low. Have you ever been diagnosed with any type of eating disorder?

Also, you should know that extremely cutting your calories is neither a safe nor EFFECTIVE way to lose weight. It just doesn't work. You may lose lots of weight at first but you slow your metabolism right down and will likely end up gaining the weight back as soon as you stop cutting calories, with interest, so to speak. Alicia (HansSolo) posted a link to a really great article about *why* this is the case not too long ago: here is that thread

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work on trying to get more food! Your body needs nourishment - I can't stress this enough! I'm worried about you. Please keep reporting in and letting us know how you're doing! *hugs*

Re: Frustrated Daughter... new
      #175998 - 05/02/05 08:21 PM
frustrated daughter

Reged: 05/01/05

Ahh all of this is just so confusing. But everywhere I read about losing/maintaining a healthy weight it talks about low calories and low fat. And I promise you I really don't have an eating disorder.

To answer your questions I'm 15 (16 may 23!!!), I weigh 107 lbs.(but I'm only 5'3"..)

I think I'm calculating my calories right, but I guess I'm not b/c of your reaction. I just look on the back of everything and add it all up. I do know that I burn about 220-300 calories from running, but I dont know how to subtract that up or whatever. And I'm honestly not starving myself, I dance 3 nights a week & I run so I do need energy from food.

Kate new
      #176000 - 05/02/05 08:23 PM
retrograde

I think all of us with IBS have had issues like this with food at some point, some to more serious extremes than others, such as EDs, and some less extreme. Eating and figuring out what to eat and thinking about what one is eating (or not eating) all day can be so ecompassing but is a 'natural' (and, at first at least w/IBS, pretty much necessary) part of both IBS and EDs.

I'm lucky in that I've never experienced a full on eating disorder, but there were a few years in high school when I was partaking in some pretty risky behaviours in an what was really an effort to gain more control, as you said.

I just wanted to say Kate that I really admire your philosophical approach to food, as it were. It seems so very healthy and is incredibly inspiring. Thank you for your comments!

Re: Frustrated Daughter... new
      #176002 - 05/02/05 08:33 PM
retrograde

I'm thinking you must be underestimating your calorie intake. When you exercise and burn those 250-300 calories, that's basically using up 250-300 of the calories you ate that day. So, if your numbers are correct, then your body is only left with 200 or so calories to function with! Which, I would think, is basically impossible.

Since you gave your height/weight and age, I calculated your BRM (basal metabolic rate) for you. It's 1346. This is the number of calories your body would need to perform basic fucntions (breathing, pumping blood) even if all you did was lied in bed awake all day! So you can see why I kind of freaked out on you and why 200 calories is obviously not enough for a person to live on.

If you are interested, a good way to calculate calories is by using FitDay.com. Maybe just try it for one day and log in ALL the foods you eat - including sauces, condiments, spreads, beverages etc. Everything. That way you can get a better idea of what you're eating.

If you ARE eating under your BMR (1346) I'm still going to urge you strongly to eat more food ok!? A body needs nourishment, especially at 15 when your body is still growing. In fact, at 15 you need more calories than a person of the same height and weight who is older than you. As an active person, and since you said you want to maintain your weight, you need around 2000-2200 calories a day...! Please be good to your body! Hugs!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review