All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
An example of a day's food, to check... new
      #175303 - 04/30/05 10:51 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Okay, so here is just an example to see how I am doing..
I can't use yesterday because my day got all screwed up, I didn't get a lunch break and all kinds of blahs, so I will use the day before...

So I get 2167 calories a day and will subtract 350 calories for weight loss. I didn't do any exercise except just walking around in the day, but I dunno how much so I won't count it for now.

So that's 1817 calories for my food budget.

Breakfast: (7 am) Nutz over Chocolate Luna Bar = 180 calories

Snack: (11 am) Mango Peach Applesauce = 93 calories

Snack: (12 pm) Chocolate Peanut Butter GeniSoy Bar = 230 calories (Wow, I didn't know if was this many!!)

Lunch: Lean Cuisine Chicken Teriaky Bowl = 326 calories (I think)

Snack: Handful of Pretzels = 90 calories

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast in bbq sauce in hamburger bun with Ultra Low Fat Mayo, ketchup and lettuce = 367 calories

Snack: Handful of sunflower seeds (probably not safe!) = 180 calories

Okay, so my total for that is 1466 calories.

Am I having an okay amount of protien? Are GeniSoy protein bars okay? They kinda have a lot of calories, don't they?
I think I am going to start eating oatmeal for breakfast and save the Luna bar for a snack.
Any other suggestions would be really helpful, I feel pretty lost.
Thanks guys, you're all amazing!!
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Edited by Stephie (04/30/05 10:52 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: An example of a day's food, to check... new
      #175313 - 04/30/05 12:00 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

What you're eating sounds pretty good. Not enough at only 1400 calories, but you already know that You're definitely doing a good job at eating small meals often throughout the day! A good, large breakfast like oatmeal and egg whites (see some tips below for making them more palatable) will easily help you add in some more calories and give you energy for the day. Even if you don't like egg whites at all though try to get some protein at breakfast - you could consider making a protein shake and piling it full of stuff to make a complete meal, or having it with some oatmeal.

I must admit that I cringe at that Lean Cuisine... those things are sooo processed and contain so much excess sodium. They certainly are easy though.

It's hard to say if you're getting enough protein... are you using fitday to calculate your calories? If so, aim for about 0.8g of protein for each pound of body weight you have, so around 130g of protein a day.

Some protein snack ideas

- baked chicken strips (I used to keep these in my fridge most of the time and munch on them throughout the day)

- veggie salami slices (made by YVES they're fat free! I'm sure you could find other brands too... they're soy protein based and taste just like meat)

- eggs are a good one. I personally can't stand just hard boiled egg whites but I love scrambled egg whites. I load them up with chiles and garlic mostly. I find that if you can get something to change the colour of them (i.e. chile sauce) they're much more palatable, instead of that greyish white colour. Also good with added sauteed veggies.

- ever tried scrambled tofu? It has a very similar texture to scrambled eggs (use the firm kind) and you make it basically the same way (takes a little longer though, about 10 mins). Tofu basically absorbs whatever you put with it (even better if you let it marinade for a bit first, such as in hot sauce or soy sauce or something like that). And tofu is pretty high in protein. It can be a little bit high in fat though so if you're very sensitive to fats, to make it safer, try to find the "lite" variety (like MORI NU lite, almost no fat).

- protein shakes made with soy protein powder

- protein bars like Luna bars

Hmm that's all I can think of now. Note though that I never have any of these alone -- I always have them with an SF base like applesauce or a small piece of bread or something (except the Luna bars, and the protein shake which I make with lots of SF in it in the form of acacia and SF fruits).

HTH

hey casey? new
      #175323 - 04/30/05 01:30 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey casey?
could you figure out my BMR too with my stats? i read this article last night about metabolism..it was in this board i think. hansolo posted it?? anyways..i figured something out about my ed and i really want to get into better shape [not bad habit ways though ] i wanna get healthier and concentrate on being in shape! i see tons of the BMRs and get so confuzzled by all the numbers..if you dont mind? that would be cool!! thanks ill post later!
oh my stats! so you dont have to find them:

age-19
height-5'3"
weight-101

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

hey ashley! (little bear) new
      #175376 - 04/30/05 05:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I sure can!

Your BMR as per that formula is 1279. What that means is that you need that many calories a day just to EXIST... that's before you've even opened your eyes in the morning!

To figure out how many calories you need to be eating, multiply that number - 1279 - by one of the numbers from the chart, whichever best describes your activity level for the majority of your day:

BMR x 1.2 = Sedentary (bedbound)
BMR x 1.4 = Seated work
BMR x 1.6 = Seated work with some movement througout the day
BMR x 1.8 = Standing work (i.e. house work, retail etc.)
BMR x 2.0 = Strenuous work (i.e. construction)

So let's say your activity level is "seated work with some movement"... that means that you should be eating 2046 calories every single day to stay at your current weight and function optimally.

Then, if you do additional exercise in a given day, you need to compensate for that too. Let's say you go for a long walk and burn 150 calories. You would then eat an extra 150 calories that day, to make up for what you burned.

If that's confusing or if you need clarification on anything, just let me know!

Re: Why can't I stick to it? new
      #175382 - 04/30/05 06:10 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I know how you feel. I absolutely hate how I look. People tell me that I'm thin enough already but I keep pushing myself further and further. I sometimes work out for more 2 hrs a day. The way I see it, until I stop ovulating, I haven't lost enough fat. I eat plenty still, though.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

#175393 - 04/30/05 06:59 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I guess I'm going to be the contrary one here. I found WW to be wonderful for me. I lost 30 lbs. almost 3 years ago and have been able to keep it off However, I didn't have a really awful IBS flare-up until late last year, but I'm convinced it has absolutely nothing to do with WW.

In fact, I found when I went on WW, I started having fewer stomach problems. (I didn't know it was IBS a few years ago; I just knew I had problems when I ate much beef & that sort of thing...& that's what happened late last year when the flare started.) I had few problems on WW because I was on a lower fat diet anyway on WW. I don't track points like I used to, for various reason, but I still journal what I eat, make sure I get my calcium (now from soy of course instead of dairy) and eat at least 4 fruits and veggies that are tummy-friendly (bananas, canned pears & peaches, baby carrots, mango, papaya, green beans, mushrooms).

(Though I do admit now with the IBS, I've started to miss brocolli and fresh lettuce salads, but I digress.)

By the way, 20 points is your target if you are under 150 lbs. WW also has a "Core Plan" in addition to the Points route, but since I lost all my weight with Points, I don't know a lot about core.

At this point, I guess I have the opposite problem some folks on this board have. I've lost weight. I *think* I've got it under control now, but if I go below 120 lbs, I get a little scared. I look gaunt at 118, and people start to ask if I'm okay.

Anyway, I do realize that Weight Watchers is not for everyone, but it does work and it can work with IBS. If nothing else, it will help keep you away from triggers. Weight Watchers got me into the habit of eating healthy food so much so that now I just consider healthy food part of my life and not a diet. I'm not a weak-willed person, but I don't think I could have lost the weight without WW. It kept me accountable and it helped ingrain some heathy habits that will be with me for life - and are a positive influence on IBS.

Lynx new
      #175412 - 05/01/05 12:26 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Until you stop ovulating??
That isn't healthy for your body.. for your body to be in starvation to the point where it can't do it's natural things..
I want to lose weight because I am overweight, but I definitely don't encourage weight loss to such an unhealthy degree.
If you really feel this way, I think you should seek some sort of professional help because that is very detrimental to your physical and emotional health.

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I like WW too new
      #175415 - 05/01/05 03:02 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I've found over the years that WW is really the only way for me to lose and keep the weight off too. I've tried other plans (but now with IBS they are impossible to follow) and counting calories too. I find it much easier to only have to add up 20 pts. a day instead of 1300 or 1400. LOL.

Cindy

#175464 - 05/01/05 08:56 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Stephie,

I am right there with you. I have gained about 10 pounds over the course of this school year and I hate it. After all of the work I did to lose weight, it sucks to have gained half of it back. The other sucky part is that right now when I'm finally fed up is the end of the school year, where everybody starts having parties and we go out all of the time.

I think going to WW is a good idea, if you can. I felt much more accountable when I was getting weighed every week and actually tracking the points of what I ate.

Maybe we should weigh ourselves every week and publicly post it like Shell? I know I would be embarrassed if my weight went up instead of down if everyone knew what it was... it's a shame nobody lives near me, I could use a workout buddy!

#175480 - 05/01/05 10:12 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'd be willing to post my weight on a weekly basis, and also what I do for exercise.

Last week, I made it to the gym 3 times. Haven't managed that for months. I only walked the track for 1 mile each day, but I could tell even that flat mile helped.

Edited by Snorkie (05/01/05 10:14 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34562

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review