View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Wait, no, okay new
      #175140 - 04/29/05 02:06 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Steph,

I would advocate cutting back by 300-350 rather than 500 each day, unless you get in some exercise. That would put you at about 1800 calories per day, which is a pretty good number if you're not real active. I am very active and was trying to eat 1800 a day and just couldn't do it. But, if you need ideas on what to eat to fill yourself up, let me know. I'm pretty good at that

(Hugs)

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Watchers new
      #175141 - 04/29/05 02:21 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Everything I've read re: Weight Watchers says that it is outmoded. I think you're better off saving your cash and creating a little new wardrobe reward fund!

Seriously, Stephie; everyone I know that's done WW, with one exception, fails. The calories are too low, and the eating style too outmoded. Casey gave you some good tips, re: using protein to take the edge off the appetite. Logging/journalling re: food intake and emotions is always a good idea. Don't deprive yourself of carbs either--they're important for satiety and also keeping IBS stable. It's all about balance--and for each of us it is variable. Don't freak out! Just play with your nutritional intake ratio and try and sneak a little activity in your day. Also, eliminating temptation from your home and sugars helps, too.

I'd be interested in seeing your suggestions of things to eat to feel fuller - nt new
      #175164 - 04/29/05 04:10 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

Re: Why can't I stick to it? new
      #175166 - 04/29/05 04:22 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey there~
im going thru the same thing too out of nowhere weight crept up on me! when im getting ready for work or just fixing myself up, looking in the mirror i feel so crappy b/c even my face looks puffy!! when i wake up in the morning, i make it a goal to be a good ibs-er and stick to what makes my tummy work. but when im hungry later-on, i throw all of that out the window and satisfy the monster in my tummy!! i guess it wouldnt be so bad but i look so unproportioned. my tummy is bloated so i look like im permanately 7 months pregnant, which makes my pants fit funny, and then my legs and my face! grr and *tears* at the same time! i can be good with my goals for maybe all of 2 days before i cave and sneak a treat but as soon as it starts digesting, and as soon as i start feeling full i swear it all off until the next time i cave in again but writing here seems to help keep my moods up. its nice to know im not alone. thought id share that with yah so you feel the same--unalone feel better!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: Ok, here's what I got... new
      #175195 - 04/29/05 06:45 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

The egg white suggestion was a great snack idea. What are some other protein-based snacks? I struggle with good snacks that aren't totally fruit or carb based.

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Re: My Stats! new
      #175196 - 04/29/05 07:13 PM
Grdnangel

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: Rhode Island

I know how you feel on your stats...I myself have more weight on me than you as ive told you before but I have the same boob issues...I am a DDD/F myself...the only bra's ive found that are comfortable and make them look like two breasts ive found are Lane Bryant bra's...Underwires are a necessity tho sports bra's and no wire bra's guarentee the Uniboob look..lol But im sure you've looked about and found most of that yourself...but also the bra's from that store hold up for alot longer than any others ive found...They cost a good amount but you can find good sales and get discount certificates and get good deals. Just figured id share that with ya since you are helping me so much.

Re: Wait, no, okay new
      #175206 - 04/29/05 07:58 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

REALLY great advice here Steph! And you can do it! Look at all the lovely ladies who are behind you all the way here!

I'd second what Elizabeth said about maybe only cutting 350ish. I've always felt that you can go to about a 500 calorie deficit a day (tops tops tops) with exercise, but that you shouldn't be eating less that 350 calories from what you burn on an average day without exercise. You'll just get too hungry and grumpy and it won't be fun. See how you do with it though. The amount a person needs to cut to lose weight varies from person to person so you'll need to experiment a little at first. Try 350 for a week or two with maybe a few cardio sessions and see how you do with that. If you're not seeing any results, try cutting a bit more for a few weeks (that should kick start the weight loss) and you should be able to bring it back up after a while.

I'd really recommend some exercise at least though as it will jumpstart your metabolism - which will help. Also make sure you're eating 5-6 small meals (or 3 meals and 2 large snacks) every few hours with protein at each one - it's important to not let yourself get hungry!

GOOD LUCK! Again, we're rooting for you! You can do it! *now picture me with pom poms - yikes!* lol

I struggle with that too... new
      #175217 - 04/29/05 08:49 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm hoping maybe Elizabeth or Laurel will have some suggestions... or Shell. So far, all I've been able to come up with other than egg whites is turkey jerky. For the most part, I just go with non-sugary carb snacks, like pretzels, or fruit, and I still feel a lot more satisfied longer than if I've eaten sweets.

Definitely don't forget that "carbs" and SF foods are necessary for our IBS... it's all about balance anyway.

Re: I'd be interested in seeing your suggestions of things to eat to feel fuller - nt new
      #175229 - 04/29/05 09:58 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Oat Bran (hot cereal like oatmeal) with soymilk - a 1/2 cup makes a HUGE bowl and it fills me up for quite a while

Apples - buy the biggest kind you can find and it will be a max of 125 cal per apple

Applesauce and fruit purees really fill me up

Homemade bread is good for filling you up, also

*when I think of more, I'll post 'em*

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Eggs!!
      #175298 - 04/30/05 10:23 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi guys,

I actually read a post a while ago saying egg whites were good to eat for lean protein so I thought that, even though I have always _hated_ eggs, I would give it a try.
Adrian made me an egg white omlette with mushrooms and some salsa and spices - I could only take about 2 bites.

I think it is the consistency or something, I don't know but I just... Blech! I was so disappointed, I wanted to like them so much!

I'll have to figure out something else I guess if I can't get eggs down, will have to think about it.

**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34558

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review