Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Why can't I stick to it?
      #175022 - 04/29/05 08:26 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

I am feeling really frustrated today. Yesterday was a bit crazy emotional with the PMS but when I got home, I got seriously upset. Adrian had taken all these pictures last weekend and granted I was ill, but I look _terrible_. I guess I didn't really see how much weight I had gained in a mirror, but from a picture taken a year ago until now... OY! I looked truly awful.
I feel so unhappy with my body, but I just can't stick with losing weight. I'll be really good for like a week and then quit. I don't know how I can justify being upset about being so heavy when I haven't done anything about it for longer than 2 weeks before giving up!

I was at my sister's last night and she has put on a lot of weight in the last 3 years she says, and is unhappy about the way she looks/feels now too. She and her friend might join weight watchers, and so maybe I will go with them?
I don't know, I am so broke but I feel like on my own, I'm just not cutting it.

So hopefully I'll get back into reporting in soon, I just feel like I am so confused... am I eating too many calories? Then I think maybe I am eating too few calories. I know i don't get enough exercise. Should I eat fewer carbs? Blah, I am so confused.

Cheers guys!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why can't I stick to it? new
      #175061 - 04/29/05 09:52 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My advice to you and your pocketbook is not to do weight watchers. It advocates tons of fruits and veggies that we just simply cannot tolerate in the quantities they want. A cup of rice or pasta is like 4 points and you're only supposed to take in like 20 points a day! It doesn't leave much else to go on. I would ask the gals here to set you up with a BMI number, activity level and figure out your calories at calorieking.com. That's what they did for me. You can keep reporting in to us, and we'll hold you accountable, and even kick your heinie if need be (gently of course with lots of love! LOL).
I know how you feel. I can be good for the entire day and blow it completely in the evening (within 5 minutes). It's just a matter of finding your comfort zone, and challenging it a bit at a time. Try to think of your downfalls (ie. mine's bedtime snacking) and try to cut down, change, modify, eliminate, etc. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I second Alicia's advice new
      #175092 - 04/29/05 11:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Honestly, Steph, WW is great for some people, but really not for others. It's VERY low-calorie, and it sets you up for a lot of frustration... most of us really just NEED to eat more than that. I know far more people who haven't lost an ounce on it than people who have had success with it. I'd save your money, personally.

My first guess is that you're eating too little. I know that, in the past, when I've tried low-calorie diets, I've ended up quitting them out of frustration because my energy was so low, I wasn't seeing results, and it all just depressed me. Sound familiar? Definitely check out the article Alicia posted earlier today about metabolism... it explains why eating too little is so counterproductive.

I'd also recommend, not eating less carbs, necessarily, but eating more protein. I think you'll find that when you increase the protein (I have some with every meal now, and sometimes snacks too) and cut out most of anything really sugary, you'll naturally eat fewer high-calorie foods (or lower quantities of them), because you won't feel the urge to eat all the time to build up your energy level.

Post your stats (age, height, weight, and normal daily activity level) and I or someone else will be more than happy to figure out your BMR for you. Once you have that number, you can go about compensating for any exercise and THEN reducing your calories, like a lot of the rest of us are doing. I think you'll find it's a LOT easier to stick with.

*hugs*

My Stats! new
      #175097 - 04/29/05 11:57 AM
Stephie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about it and even before you guys said WW probably isn't the best idea, I was pretty hesitant about it. I have an elliptical machine at home and I can count calories, so why pay someone else to weigh me?
I looked at some of their recipes online and a lot had beef or cheese or something I couldn't eat, so I thought, why bother?

Okay, so here are my stats and I'd appreciate any advice...

Age: 22. Height: 5'4. Weight: Um, between 162-167. Activity: Not much! I sit at a desk most of the day, drive an hour each way to work and then cook, eat, clean and sleep. I am trying to get some more enegery, into better sleeping habbits, etc so I won't feel so drained and will be more likely to exercise. ** Note: I dunno if this makes any difference, but I have huge boobs. Like GG cup boobs right now, and they are starting to do the 'double boob' thing in those bras so I am pretty out of proportion.

My ideal weight is like 125, but I was only that thin when I had D every single time I ate and only ate rice, chicken and pretzels basically. So I guess more realistically, I'd at least like to get down to 135.

I've calculated the numbers before, but I just never feel like it's right or something. Like, last time it gave me so few calories that I could have that it was impossible.

Thanks guys!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Ok, here's what I got... new
      #175106 - 04/29/05 12:26 PM
atomic rose

Your BMR + normal daily activity level is about 2167 calories.

So you can see how I figured that out, I used this formula:

655 + 4.36 X Weight (lbs) + 4.32 X Height (inches) – 4.7 X Age = BMR (In your case, Steph, 1548)

and then multiplied it by 1.4, as per a little chart Laurel had posted a while back:

BMR x 1.2 = Sedentary (bedbound)
BMR x 1.4 = Seated work
BMR x 1.6 = Seated work with some movement througout the day
BMR x 1.8 = Standing work (i.e. house work, retail etc.)
BMR x 2.0 = Strenuous work (i.e. construction)

If you think "seated work with some movement" better describes your activity level, then by all means take the BMR number (the one above in blue) and multiply it be 1.6 to get your new calorie level.

And you probably know how to work things from here, just from reading all of our posts... you ADD in any exercise you do, and then SUBTRACT a certain number of calories from that new total for weight loss. Most people subtract 500 calories per day, which equates to 1lb per week loss (usually), but if you find yourself feeling like you need to eat more, listen to your body and try reducing by 350/day instead.

Getting enough sleep is definitely important. And like I mentioned earlier, try eating more lean proteins, too. Hard-boiled eggs (minus the yolks) are a staple of mine now... easy to make a bunch of them and keep them in the fridge, and good for breakfast or snacking.

Hope that helps a little!

Re: Ok, here's what I got... new
      #175108 - 04/29/05 12:31 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

GREAT advise Alicia & Casey.... thanks for taking care of our precious Steph for us all!!

Good luck sweetie... I know you can do it.... I know you have a lot going on in your world right now.... but that makes it even more important to take care of yourself!! {{hugs}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Thanks Casey! new
      #175109 - 04/29/05 12:34 PM
Stephie

Thanks for that!
I just have one question.. Do I times the 1548 by 1.4, or is that already done?
I am confused and without a calculator! Hee hee.

So if I were to not do any extra exercise, and to cut back 500 calories I would only get 1048 calories a day! I think on those kinda days, I would have to cut back on... Oh wait, or is it the 2167 number?
I am so confused now, I should read it again. How silly of me.
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Wait, no, okay new
      #175113 - 04/29/05 12:37 PM
Stephie

I just had a big stupid moment, I get how you got the number now. Tsk tsk, stupid me.
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Wait, no, okay new
      #175116 - 04/29/05 12:41 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

lol your so cute Steph!! I call those..."brain farts"

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Thanks Shell new
      #175117 - 04/29/05 12:41 PM
Stephie

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.. I honestly don't know if I can actually do it. After all this steady weight gain while I have been already trying, I feel pretty defeated. I know I definitely have to do something about it. My mom keeps telling me to join Weight Watchers, my bf isn't so crazy about how I look I think, my doctor said I was over weight, and then that picture of me just blew my mind... I just feel like I have no will power or something.

I always start out really well, like for a week or maybe even 2 weeks and then it all goes down the drain.

I really hope I can figure out a way to make myself do this, but I just feel a bit blah at the moment. Hopefully I'll perk up soon and work out some sort of plan I can stick to.

**hugs**
Can't wait to see your weigh in!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#175140 - 04/29/05 02:06 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Steph,

I would advocate cutting back by 300-350 rather than 500 each day, unless you get in some exercise. That would put you at about 1800 calories per day, which is a pretty good number if you're not real active. I am very active and was trying to eat 1800 a day and just couldn't do it. But, if you need ideas on what to eat to fill yourself up, let me know. I'm pretty good at that

(Hugs)

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Weight Watchers new
      #175141 - 04/29/05 02:21 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Everything I've read re: Weight Watchers says that it is outmoded. I think you're better off saving your cash and creating a little new wardrobe reward fund!

Seriously, Stephie; everyone I know that's done WW, with one exception, fails. The calories are too low, and the eating style too outmoded. Casey gave you some good tips, re: using protein to take the edge off the appetite. Logging/journalling re: food intake and emotions is always a good idea. Don't deprive yourself of carbs either--they're important for satiety and also keeping IBS stable. It's all about balance--and for each of us it is variable. Don't freak out! Just play with your nutritional intake ratio and try and sneak a little activity in your day. Also, eliminating temptation from your home and sugars helps, too.

I'd be interested in seeing your suggestions of things to eat to feel fuller - nt new
      #175164 - 04/29/05 04:10 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

#175166 - 04/29/05 04:22 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey there~
im going thru the same thing too out of nowhere weight crept up on me! when im getting ready for work or just fixing myself up, looking in the mirror i feel so crappy b/c even my face looks puffy!! when i wake up in the morning, i make it a goal to be a good ibs-er and stick to what makes my tummy work. but when im hungry later-on, i throw all of that out the window and satisfy the monster in my tummy!! i guess it wouldnt be so bad but i look so unproportioned. my tummy is bloated so i look like im permanately 7 months pregnant, which makes my pants fit funny, and then my legs and my face! grr and *tears* at the same time! i can be good with my goals for maybe all of 2 days before i cave and sneak a treat but as soon as it starts digesting, and as soon as i start feeling full i swear it all off until the next time i cave in again but writing here seems to help keep my moods up. its nice to know im not alone. thought id share that with yah so you feel the same--unalone feel better!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: Ok, here's what I got... new
      #175195 - 04/29/05 06:45 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

The egg white suggestion was a great snack idea. What are some other protein-based snacks? I struggle with good snacks that aren't totally fruit or carb based.

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Re: My Stats! new
      #175196 - 04/29/05 07:13 PM
Grdnangel

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: Rhode Island

I know how you feel on your stats...I myself have more weight on me than you as ive told you before but I have the same boob issues...I am a DDD/F myself...the only bra's ive found that are comfortable and make them look like two breasts ive found are Lane Bryant bra's...Underwires are a necessity tho sports bra's and no wire bra's guarentee the Uniboob look..lol But im sure you've looked about and found most of that yourself...but also the bra's from that store hold up for alot longer than any others ive found...They cost a good amount but you can find good sales and get discount certificates and get good deals. Just figured id share that with ya since you are helping me so much.

#175206 - 04/29/05 07:58 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

REALLY great advice here Steph! And you can do it! Look at all the lovely ladies who are behind you all the way here!

I'd second what Elizabeth said about maybe only cutting 350ish. I've always felt that you can go to about a 500 calorie deficit a day (tops tops tops) with exercise, but that you shouldn't be eating less that 350 calories from what you burn on an average day without exercise. You'll just get too hungry and grumpy and it won't be fun. See how you do with it though. The amount a person needs to cut to lose weight varies from person to person so you'll need to experiment a little at first. Try 350 for a week or two with maybe a few cardio sessions and see how you do with that. If you're not seeing any results, try cutting a bit more for a few weeks (that should kick start the weight loss) and you should be able to bring it back up after a while.

I'd really recommend some exercise at least though as it will jumpstart your metabolism - which will help. Also make sure you're eating 5-6 small meals (or 3 meals and 2 large snacks) every few hours with protein at each one - it's important to not let yourself get hungry!

GOOD LUCK! Again, we're rooting for you! You can do it! *now picture me with pom poms - yikes!* lol

I struggle with that too... new
      #175217 - 04/29/05 08:49 PM
atomic rose

I'm hoping maybe Elizabeth or Laurel will have some suggestions... or Shell. So far, all I've been able to come up with other than egg whites is turkey jerky. For the most part, I just go with non-sugary carb snacks, like pretzels, or fruit, and I still feel a lot more satisfied longer than if I've eaten sweets.

Definitely don't forget that "carbs" and SF foods are necessary for our IBS... it's all about balance anyway.

Re: I'd be interested in seeing your suggestions of things to eat to feel fuller - nt new
      #175229 - 04/29/05 09:58 PM
e_mcmaster

Oat Bran (hot cereal like oatmeal) with soymilk - a 1/2 cup makes a HUGE bowl and it fills me up for quite a while

Apples - buy the biggest kind you can find and it will be a max of 125 cal per apple

Applesauce and fruit purees really fill me up

Homemade bread is good for filling you up, also

*when I think of more, I'll post 'em*

--------------------
Elizabeth

Eggs!! new
      #175298 - 04/30/05 10:23 AM
Stephie

Hi guys,

I actually read a post a while ago saying egg whites were good to eat for lean protein so I thought that, even though I have always _hated_ eggs, I would give it a try.
Adrian made me an egg white omlette with mushrooms and some salsa and spices - I could only take about 2 bites.

I think it is the consistency or something, I don't know but I just... Blech! I was so disappointed, I wanted to like them so much!

I'll have to figure out something else I guess if I can't get eggs down, will have to think about it.

**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

An example of a day's food, to check... new
      #175303 - 04/30/05 10:51 AM
Stephie

Okay, so here is just an example to see how I am doing..
I can't use yesterday because my day got all screwed up, I didn't get a lunch break and all kinds of blahs, so I will use the day before...

So I get 2167 calories a day and will subtract 350 calories for weight loss. I didn't do any exercise except just walking around in the day, but I dunno how much so I won't count it for now.

So that's 1817 calories for my food budget.

Breakfast: (7 am) Nutz over Chocolate Luna Bar = 180 calories

Snack: (11 am) Mango Peach Applesauce = 93 calories

Snack: (12 pm) Chocolate Peanut Butter GeniSoy Bar = 230 calories (Wow, I didn't know if was this many!!)

Lunch: Lean Cuisine Chicken Teriaky Bowl = 326 calories (I think)

Snack: Handful of Pretzels = 90 calories

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast in bbq sauce in hamburger bun with Ultra Low Fat Mayo, ketchup and lettuce = 367 calories

Snack: Handful of sunflower seeds (probably not safe!) = 180 calories

Okay, so my total for that is 1466 calories.

Am I having an okay amount of protien? Are GeniSoy protein bars okay? They kinda have a lot of calories, don't they?
I think I am going to start eating oatmeal for breakfast and save the Luna bar for a snack.
Any other suggestions would be really helpful, I feel pretty lost.
Thanks guys, you're all amazing!!
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Edited by Stephie (04/30/05 10:52 AM)

Re: An example of a day's food, to check... new
      #175313 - 04/30/05 12:00 PM
retrograde

What you're eating sounds pretty good. Not enough at only 1400 calories, but you already know that You're definitely doing a good job at eating small meals often throughout the day! A good, large breakfast like oatmeal and egg whites (see some tips below for making them more palatable) will easily help you add in some more calories and give you energy for the day. Even if you don't like egg whites at all though try to get some protein at breakfast - you could consider making a protein shake and piling it full of stuff to make a complete meal, or having it with some oatmeal.

I must admit that I cringe at that Lean Cuisine... those things are sooo processed and contain so much excess sodium. They certainly are easy though.

It's hard to say if you're getting enough protein... are you using fitday to calculate your calories? If so, aim for about 0.8g of protein for each pound of body weight you have, so around 130g of protein a day.

Some protein snack ideas

- baked chicken strips (I used to keep these in my fridge most of the time and munch on them throughout the day)

- veggie salami slices (made by YVES they're fat free! I'm sure you could find other brands too... they're soy protein based and taste just like meat)

- eggs are a good one. I personally can't stand just hard boiled egg whites but I love scrambled egg whites. I load them up with chiles and garlic mostly. I find that if you can get something to change the colour of them (i.e. chile sauce) they're much more palatable, instead of that greyish white colour. Also good with added sauteed veggies.

- ever tried scrambled tofu? It has a very similar texture to scrambled eggs (use the firm kind) and you make it basically the same way (takes a little longer though, about 10 mins). Tofu basically absorbs whatever you put with it (even better if you let it marinade for a bit first, such as in hot sauce or soy sauce or something like that). And tofu is pretty high in protein. It can be a little bit high in fat though so if you're very sensitive to fats, to make it safer, try to find the "lite" variety (like MORI NU lite, almost no fat).

- protein shakes made with soy protein powder

- protein bars like Luna bars

Hmm that's all I can think of now. Note though that I never have any of these alone -- I always have them with an SF base like applesauce or a small piece of bread or something (except the Luna bars, and the protein shake which I make with lots of SF in it in the form of acacia and SF fruits).

HTH

hey casey? new
      #175323 - 04/30/05 01:30 PM
little bear

hey casey?
could you figure out my BMR too with my stats? i read this article last night about metabolism..it was in this board i think. hansolo posted it?? anyways..i figured something out about my ed and i really want to get into better shape [not bad habit ways though ] i wanna get healthier and concentrate on being in shape! i see tons of the BMRs and get so confuzzled by all the numbers..if you dont mind? that would be cool!! thanks ill post later!
oh my stats! so you dont have to find them:

age-19
height-5'3"
weight-101

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

hey ashley! (little bear) new
      #175376 - 04/30/05 05:14 PM
atomic rose

I sure can!

Your BMR as per that formula is 1279. What that means is that you need that many calories a day just to EXIST... that's before you've even opened your eyes in the morning!

To figure out how many calories you need to be eating, multiply that number - 1279 - by one of the numbers from the chart, whichever best describes your activity level for the majority of your day:

BMR x 1.2 = Sedentary (bedbound)
BMR x 1.4 = Seated work
BMR x 1.6 = Seated work with some movement througout the day
BMR x 1.8 = Standing work (i.e. house work, retail etc.)
BMR x 2.0 = Strenuous work (i.e. construction)

So let's say your activity level is "seated work with some movement"... that means that you should be eating 2046 calories every single day to stay at your current weight and function optimally.

Then, if you do additional exercise in a given day, you need to compensate for that too. Let's say you go for a long walk and burn 150 calories. You would then eat an extra 150 calories that day, to make up for what you burned.

If that's confusing or if you need clarification on anything, just let me know!

#175382 - 04/30/05 06:10 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I know how you feel. I absolutely hate how I look. People tell me that I'm thin enough already but I keep pushing myself further and further. I sometimes work out for more 2 hrs a day. The way I see it, until I stop ovulating, I haven't lost enough fat. I eat plenty still, though.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

#175393 - 04/30/05 06:59 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I guess I'm going to be the contrary one here. I found WW to be wonderful for me. I lost 30 lbs. almost 3 years ago and have been able to keep it off However, I didn't have a really awful IBS flare-up until late last year, but I'm convinced it has absolutely nothing to do with WW.

In fact, I found when I went on WW, I started having fewer stomach problems. (I didn't know it was IBS a few years ago; I just knew I had problems when I ate much beef & that sort of thing...& that's what happened late last year when the flare started.) I had few problems on WW because I was on a lower fat diet anyway on WW. I don't track points like I used to, for various reason, but I still journal what I eat, make sure I get my calcium (now from soy of course instead of dairy) and eat at least 4 fruits and veggies that are tummy-friendly (bananas, canned pears & peaches, baby carrots, mango, papaya, green beans, mushrooms).

(Though I do admit now with the IBS, I've started to miss brocolli and fresh lettuce salads, but I digress.)

By the way, 20 points is your target if you are under 150 lbs. WW also has a "Core Plan" in addition to the Points route, but since I lost all my weight with Points, I don't know a lot about core.

At this point, I guess I have the opposite problem some folks on this board have. I've lost weight. I *think* I've got it under control now, but if I go below 120 lbs, I get a little scared. I look gaunt at 118, and people start to ask if I'm okay.

Anyway, I do realize that Weight Watchers is not for everyone, but it does work and it can work with IBS. If nothing else, it will help keep you away from triggers. Weight Watchers got me into the habit of eating healthy food so much so that now I just consider healthy food part of my life and not a diet. I'm not a weak-willed person, but I don't think I could have lost the weight without WW. It kept me accountable and it helped ingrain some heathy habits that will be with me for life - and are a positive influence on IBS.

Lynx new
      #175412 - 05/01/05 12:26 AM
Stephie

Until you stop ovulating??
That isn't healthy for your body.. for your body to be in starvation to the point where it can't do it's natural things..
I want to lose weight because I am overweight, but I definitely don't encourage weight loss to such an unhealthy degree.
If you really feel this way, I think you should seek some sort of professional help because that is very detrimental to your physical and emotional health.

--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

I like WW too new
      #175415 - 05/01/05 03:02 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I've found over the years that WW is really the only way for me to lose and keep the weight off too. I've tried other plans (but now with IBS they are impossible to follow) and counting calories too. I find it much easier to only have to add up 20 pts. a day instead of 1300 or 1400. LOL.

Cindy

#175464 - 05/01/05 08:56 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Stephie,

I am right there with you. I have gained about 10 pounds over the course of this school year and I hate it. After all of the work I did to lose weight, it sucks to have gained half of it back. The other sucky part is that right now when I'm finally fed up is the end of the school year, where everybody starts having parties and we go out all of the time.

I think going to WW is a good idea, if you can. I felt much more accountable when I was getting weighed every week and actually tracking the points of what I ate.

Maybe we should weigh ourselves every week and publicly post it like Shell? I know I would be embarrassed if my weight went up instead of down if everyone knew what it was... it's a shame nobody lives near me, I could use a workout buddy!

#175480 - 05/01/05 10:12 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'd be willing to post my weight on a weekly basis, and also what I do for exercise.

Last week, I made it to the gym 3 times. Haven't managed that for months. I only walked the track for 1 mile each day, but I could tell even that flat mile helped.

Edited by Snorkie (05/01/05 10:14 AM)

Re: Lynx new
      #175524 - 05/01/05 01:49 PM
Wind

Ceasing to ovulate is a royal treat--so, if that's your goal, so be it...but you have to live with the consequences. I still cease to ovulate; I think my body has forgotten how to ovulate. Indeed, I think I've spent more of my life (I'm 30) not ovulating than ovulating. At my age, if I started ovulating, I think I'd have a midlife crisis. Most people don't understand the NEED/DESIRE for control that this is an expression of...the pathology or whatever behind your goal...just be careful. Assert your choice and liberate yourself from monthly bleeding if that is your will. To some degree, we work with nature to achieve our goals. Try some NLP, and create a book of instructions/suggestions for your body to follow.

Re: hey ashley! (little bear) new
      #175742 - 05/02/05 10:19 AM
little bear

no that makes perfect sense! thankyou so much!! i read this article that hansolo posted and it fit me perfectly. i would say since my vacation last year is when ive been more body-conscious b/c i lost 10 lbs but gained it back "and then some" reading that article, i figured out why im still worried about how i look. i lost the muscle and whatever fat but i gained back all fat instead of muscle. i learned about the calorie comparrision and wanted to make sure *now* that i am being healthy, so thank you again for the BMR!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

I'm concerned... new
      #175832 - 05/02/05 01:38 PM
e_mcmaster

because I have just recovered from an ED and this sounds exactly like me a year ago. My goal was to get so thin that my body stopped ovulating, but not because I really hate my periods but because I wanted to look like a walking skeleton.

Please, please ladies, be good to yourselves. Your body needs fuel to live, so feed it healthily.

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: I like WW too new
      #175872 - 05/02/05 02:52 PM
Tina7269

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Buffalo, N.Y.

I also like doing WW's! It's much easier for me! I just ordered Heather's eating for IBS! Can't wait to get that!

--------------------
~~ Tina ~~
For With God Nothing Shall Be Impossible
Luke 1:37

Re: An example of a day's food, to check... new
      #175906 - 05/02/05 04:20 PM
frustrated daughter

Reged: 05/01/05

Hi I'm new to the boards and I was just reading around when I found your post. Since January I've been trying to safely lose weight by running 2.5 miles 6 days a week and eating healthier. I've lost about 15lbs since then and I've been trying to just stay healthy and stay fit. But anyways, I saw that your total daily calorie count was around 1500. My daily calorie count is WAY lower than that, is this unhealthy? Here's my day...
Breakfast: half an english muffin, no butter 60 calories

Lunch: about 3/4 veggie protein sandwich 110 calories

Snack after school: 100 calorie packs

Dinner: usually a chicken dish with rice, from 280-350 calories.

Thats only 550-620 calories a day.. I thought calories were bad, like fattening... am I wrong?

Re: I'm concerned... new
      #175933 - 05/02/05 05:14 PM
Wind

I'm pleased to report that while I will always have a pathological fascination with being morbidly skeletal, I no longer feel the need to live up to that expectation. I will never menstruate again--a side effect of being anorectic for as long as I remember--but I don't look like a skeleton, just a very skinny, but totally HEALTHY person.

Can you ever really recover from an ED? Just curious. I swear, it's impossible to undo programming. I eat to live and well...maybe I feel more safe and at home inside of myself, inside of my heart that I no longer need to express my sense of emptiness and oblivion through cruelty to my animal self via food deprivation and fear, nazi-like penile tactics.

Eating is hard, especially with IBS. However...there is kindness in Heather's style of eating. The body and soul respond and everyday is more harmonious. There is a part of all of us that is sacred and deserves a chance to be free and creative, which requires energy.

So, Lynx...one of these days you'll arrive at a sense of inner peace and physical peace to. It's inexplicable, but one of these days, you'll feel safe and lovable and express that to your animal self with genuine kindness. Don't give up. It's part of you learning how to be you.

Kate (Wind).

Frustrated Daughter... new
      #175975 - 05/02/05 07:31 PM
retrograde

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Calories are NOT bad!!! They are what you're body LIVES and FUNCTIONS on! Everybody's body needs a certain number of calories to simply function and you can do your body A LOT of damage by not feeding it enough. So to answer your question, yes I'm afraid the extremely low calorie intake you have listed is WAY too low, especially if you are running 6 days a week! So low I'm actually quite concerned for you.

How old are you? (I seem to remember reading in one of your other posts that you're 15, but I could be wrong about that...?) How much do you weigh? And how are you calculating your calories? It is possible you're underestimating them? That number is terribly low. Have you ever been diagnosed with any type of eating disorder?

Also, you should know that extremely cutting your calories is neither a safe nor EFFECTIVE way to lose weight. It just doesn't work. You may lose lots of weight at first but you slow your metabolism right down and will likely end up gaining the weight back as soon as you stop cutting calories, with interest, so to speak. Alicia (HansSolo) posted a link to a really great article about *why* this is the case not too long ago: here is that thread

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work on trying to get more food! Your body needs nourishment - I can't stress this enough! I'm worried about you. Please keep reporting in and letting us know how you're doing! *hugs*

Re: Frustrated Daughter... new
      #175998 - 05/02/05 08:21 PM
frustrated daughter

Reged: 05/01/05

Ahh all of this is just so confusing. But everywhere I read about losing/maintaining a healthy weight it talks about low calories and low fat. And I promise you I really don't have an eating disorder.

To answer your questions I'm 15 (16 may 23!!!), I weigh 107 lbs.(but I'm only 5'3"..)

I think I'm calculating my calories right, but I guess I'm not b/c of your reaction. I just look on the back of everything and add it all up. I do know that I burn about 220-300 calories from running, but I dont know how to subtract that up or whatever. And I'm honestly not starving myself, I dance 3 nights a week & I run so I do need energy from food.

Kate new
      #176000 - 05/02/05 08:23 PM
retrograde

I think all of us with IBS have had issues like this with food at some point, some to more serious extremes than others, such as EDs, and some less extreme. Eating and figuring out what to eat and thinking about what one is eating (or not eating) all day can be so ecompassing but is a 'natural' (and, at first at least w/IBS, pretty much necessary) part of both IBS and EDs.

I'm lucky in that I've never experienced a full on eating disorder, but there were a few years in high school when I was partaking in some pretty risky behaviours in an what was really an effort to gain more control, as you said.

I just wanted to say Kate that I really admire your philosophical approach to food, as it were. It seems so very healthy and is incredibly inspiring. Thank you for your comments!

Re: Frustrated Daughter... new
      #176002 - 05/02/05 08:33 PM
retrograde

I'm thinking you must be underestimating your calorie intake. When you exercise and burn those 250-300 calories, that's basically using up 250-300 of the calories you ate that day. So, if your numbers are correct, then your body is only left with 200 or so calories to function with! Which, I would think, is basically impossible.

Since you gave your height/weight and age, I calculated your BRM (basal metabolic rate) for you. It's 1346. This is the number of calories your body would need to perform basic fucntions (breathing, pumping blood) even if all you did was lied in bed awake all day! So you can see why I kind of freaked out on you and why 200 calories is obviously not enough for a person to live on.

If you are interested, a good way to calculate calories is by using FitDay.com. Maybe just try it for one day and log in ALL the foods you eat - including sauces, condiments, spreads, beverages etc. Everything. That way you can get a better idea of what you're eating.

If you ARE eating under your BMR (1346) I'm still going to urge you strongly to eat more food ok!? A body needs nourishment, especially at 15 when your body is still growing. In fact, at 15 you need more calories than a person of the same height and weight who is older than you. As an active person, and since you said you want to maintain your weight, you need around 2000-2200 calories a day...! Please be good to your body! Hugs!

Did I get it??? new
      #176121 - 05/03/05 09:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Did I do this right? (I gained more weight...so starting from scratch!)

I weigh 155

I am 26

And 5"5 (65 in)

I got a BMR of 1,489.4

Adding daily activity it becomes 2,383

Is this right???

So...in order to LOSE weight I need to eat around 2,000 cals a day for a week AND exercise about 200 cals worth a day? And then next week decrease by 500 more? Am I getting it?

Sorry Casey...I know you e-mailed me about this. Math and I do NOT connect!

Thanks for the help!

And Stephie...THANK YOU FOR THIS POST! We can do this *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34512

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review