View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Very Long Story... Help Appreciated!!!
      #174920 - 04/28/05 11:38 PM
Jewly221

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland!

Hi, my name is Julia,
I'm 15! I was recently diagnosed with IBS! From December - March I was out of school due to severe abdominal pain! I was in and out of the hospital and had EVERY test under the sun! I went to a gynecologist who put me on birth control pills (orthotricyclen-lo) and then an Gynecologist-Oncologist who told me to take the packets in cycles so that i only have my menstraul cycle every 3 months (because i have *endosalpingeous*(sp?) Anyway, the gynecologist wanted to do a laperoscopy to check for ovarian cysts. Which she did, and said that what she had removed couldn't possibly have been causing my pain! Then I went to a doctor who said he wanted to remove a "cyst" he said was on my bowel. When he went in it turned out it was insignificant, and couldn't have been causing the pain either! Meanwhile, he took out my appendix while he was in there for what he said was a "precaution". I have continued to have abdominal pains and spasms! I am on amitryptelene for the IBS and also stick to a real strict IBS diet! I am back in school *except for the last to weeks i have had a relapse due to an interference with amitryptelene and augmentin (for a sinus infection)*

I still have frequent attacks and was wondering whether anyone found that Prozac had any effect on their IBS symptoms?! Thankyou for listening! look forward to reading any responses!

Edited by Jewly221 (04/28/05 11:47 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Very Long Story... Help Appreciated!!! new
      #174957 - 04/29/05 04:31 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Julia - I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through - at 15 - that's horrible! Prozac is often prescribed for IBS. Although I haven't taken it, lots of others have. You might also want to consider doing Heather's diet. It has helped my IBS 100%. Oh, and just as an FYI - diet related questions should be posted on the diet board. This is the fitness and lifestyle board. Confusing, I know.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#175035 - 04/29/05 08:55 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Welcome! I also wanted to invite you over to the IBS Diet board, where you'll get a lot of your questions, regarding what to eat and what meds people have experience with, answered. You can also do a search to find past and current discussions about a-ds, triggers, food. There's so much information here it can be overwhelming at first, but ultimately it's really helpful.

I also wanted to say that for a 15- year old, you are amazing! It's great to see that you're taking charge of your health and seeking out help and support. I think you'll find relief with Heather's diet, but you will need a little patience--it does take time.

Take care!

Maria

#175086 - 04/29/05 11:04 AM
Jewly221

Thanks! Mostly it's my mom helping me find suitable meals! I don't know what i'd do without her!

#175087 - 04/29/05 11:06 AM
Jewly221

Thanks very much! i'm very glad I found this site! Alot of teenagers don't understand IBS, I feel realy weird telling my friends about it!

#175155 - 04/29/05 03:15 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know. But if they're your friends, your REAL friends, they'll understand and accept it. I find talking about it and explaining it might be a bit embarrassing, but it's better than not saying anything at all and have them wonder why you can't make it out a certain night or something.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

hope this helps you! new
      #175165 - 04/29/05 04:12 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey
wow! it sounds like youve gone thru quite alot!! your DR also took your appendix out? just like that?? i did a search on prozacs side effects for you to check here
i was 17 when i went in for all of the GI tests and at the time was also taking an anti depressant, zoloft. i think constipation was the fourth side effect for that one but oddly enough i didnt have any.

when you say that you have attacks--do you mean ibs attacks? or anxiety attacks? or depression attacks?? how long have you been taking prozac for? its good that youre maintaining a good diet. it sounds like your condition is crucial and cheating on the diet would probably do more harm then satisfy a craving! perhaps talk with your DR about other options for managing your attacks. the side effects from prozac sound like they may do more harm then good in the long-run; especially the behavioral effects. hope that helps some!! good luck!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: hope this helps you! new
      #175193 - 04/29/05 06:08 PM
Jewly221

Thankyou SOOOO much! Everyone here is so helpful!!! I meant I had IBS-attacks. I have severe Abdominal pain still and I started taking the Prozac a year ago! I know what you mean about the diet! At first I thought I was NEVER going to be able to follow the diet, but i realized everytime i had fried food or soda that I was in a lot of pain! The pain was enough to make me get sick at the thought of those foods! I don't even crave them anymore! I actually believe that people who are looking for a good diet would do well on the IBS diet, even if they don't suffer from IBS! I am very proud that I am leading a healthier lifestyle, maybe the IBS was a blessing in disguise!?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review