All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Overweight with IBS
      #174892 - 04/28/05 07:37 PM
Grdnangel

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: Rhode Island

I have been overweight since puberty hit when i was 8 yrs old....around the age of 12 IBS symptoms started and came and went over the years. about 2 years ago It flaired up with a vengence and ive been suffering on and off day by day ever since. I also started taking combination birth control pills 1.5 years ago. I want to know if anyone else is out there who is at least 100lbs over healthy weight with IBS and is having a real hard time loosing. Im only 24 years old 5'3" and im 247lbs. Anyone with information on taking birth control pills with IBS would be apprecaited too. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try this.... new
      #174894 - 04/28/05 07:54 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm sorry for your trouble!! I don't have your same problem but I've found that changing my diet to accomodate my IBS has also led to healthier eating.....are you following Heather's diet at all?? Do you exercise?
As for the birth control pill, if you do a search on the Diet message board for "birth control pill" there is a good string of messages about the pill and some people's experience on it....I think the original author has the username "nh"..Good luck!! Hang in there!

--------------------

Re: Overweight with IBS new
      #174915 - 04/28/05 11:16 PM
Jewly221

Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland!

On the contrary, I am fifteen and recently diagnosed with IBS, i found that the strictness of the diet alone has HELPED me lose weight, i hope you can find some sort of diet and excercise plan that will help you! Good luck!

#174939 - 04/29/05 01:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm. Bc is pretty notorious for making losing weight harder. You might want to talk to your doc about coming off it.

Are you even on Heather's diet? If you follow the diet and don't let yourself get carried away with the sweet stuff, then you'll probably lose weight anyway.

Have you read Shell Marr's story? It's the top post in this forum.

Hiya new
      #175007 - 04/29/05 07:57 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Welcome!
I just wanted to say that I am sorry you are going through this, and hopefully you will find some helpful information here on this site. For diet and weightloss, this site has a lot of info but there is also a lot on the weight issue on the Eating for IBS board as well.

What sort of IBS do you have? What are your symptoms? Are you on the diet? Other than birth control, are there any other medications that you are currently taking?

Birth control can be tricky, I think. Have you tried different ones or just the same one? If you've only been on one, you might want to talk to your doctor about switching to one that is less likely to cause weight gain or to make it harder to lose weight. I asked about other medications because if you are on any anti-anxiety or depression meds, those can also make it harder to lose weight.

That being said, there are still plenty of ways to get healthy.
Like everyone else asked, are you on the diet? The good thing about sticking to the IBS diet is that eliminate all high-fat foods, alcohol, dairy.. lots of stuff that should be cut down anyway if you are trying to lose weight.

The other most important thing for losing weight and for maintaining your IBS effectively is exercise. Are you on any sort of exercise program or anything at the moment? If not, I think that would be an excellent place to start. Even trying to increase your activity by small amounts every day will boost your metabolism and help your body out in all sorts of ways. Gentle exercises like yoga are especially effective for IBS management, and can be really helpful in losing weight without being overly strenuous so that might be a good place to start. You'll want to increase your cardio as well, though, to burn off calories and fat.

Like Linz said, check out Shell's link at the top of this board's page and read her story. She has done AWESOME losing weight while keeping her tummy happy with IBS-friendly meals.

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I'd second the advice to take a look at Shell's story. It's very inspiring! -nt- new
      #175043 - 04/29/05 09:03 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

#175068 - 04/29/05 10:17 AM
Grdnangel

Yes thank you all for your advise, To answer your questions. I am only on Yasmin birth control...No im not on the Tummy diet, i just fell upon this site a short time ago..thinking of going to buy the books today actually to see what its all about. I am a network admin and work alot of hours so it is hard to get regular exercise and i work 3 different shifts that rotate week to week so trying to set a good life schedule is nearly impossible which i know that would help. I try and do excercise but you know how that is ...you get going good for a while and slowly dwindle back to nothing.

Re: Hiya new
      #175071 - 04/29/05 10:24 AM
Grdnangel

I forgot to mention in my last post ...I have IBS with D. I have alot of cramps when that happens and sometimes the pains get real intense. I had 2 insidence of having alot of blood when i went to relieve myself which put me in the doctors twice...both time exams showed no obvious sources of the blood other than a small Hemmy they said could have caused it but that seemed like alot of blood...the second time the large blood insident happend my Gastro doc sent me for a colonoscopy which he said looked fine so therefore i had IBS...we asked him if there was anything he could do to help me deal with it and he said there was one pill but its not ment for me and told me i should just try taking fiber suppliments and left me at that. Dont really like that doc, but i suppose i could find someone else...but i do not want another colonoscopy. Thanks for the responces

#175076 - 04/29/05 10:32 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi again,

Okay, if you had your colonoscopy recently and the GI doctor looked at it and said it was clear, then I can't see them sending you for another one any time soon so try not to worry about that.
Was the blood red (did it look like "new blood"). If so, it probably was from the hemm. Do you have any hemm cream or anything to relieve them? Or use wet wipes to soothe them rather than dry TP.

If I were you, I would try going on the "What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything" diet for a few days, just to let your stomach calm down.
Have you ever noticed any problems with wheat/gluten (bread and stuff?) If so, let us know and I will revise this.
After the first couple of days on the WTEWYCEA diet, your stomach should be more stable. During this time, if you have no problems with indigestion, try drinking strong peppermint and fennel tea. This should help with the cramping and the D. If you get reflex a lot (like heartburn and stuff), avoid the peppermint and just have the fennel.
Start keeping a food diary of everything you are eating, and when you get 'attacks'.

What is your diet like right now?

After these couple of days, you'll be able to gradually add in more foods but you should DEFINITELY avoid the following:

Fatty foods (no fried food, no McDonalds!)
Alcohol
Caffiene (this is a big GI trigger)
Fizzy drinks
Red meat
All Dairy - Anything containing milk has gotta go.

Drink loads of water and herbal teas. Use heating pads on cramping up stomach. Get enough sleep every night.

Any questions, let us know!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#175078 - 04/29/05 10:40 AM
Grdnangel

Yes the blood was bright red...stained the water completely bright red and it looked like it was in the waste too, I bounce back and forth which i know isnt good...I do hit BK maybe twice a month but surprisingly id say about 75% of the time im fine with their food but i do have some bad times..i know i should leave off of that...MCDonalds ALWAYS is a killer so i already avoid them. I do love salads but they have quickly become a big no no. Ive learned caffinee drinks arent much good too..I can usually drink a diet coke and be fine but Mountain Dew is instant pain these days so ive left off that and coffee but i was never big on that either. Breads and things seem to be my safest choice I seem to not have many or any reactions to those things. Ive always been a dairy and veggie person and pretty much only have ground hamburge and chicken in my freezer.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5644

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review