All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need motivation...
      #174558 - 04/27/05 04:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am in fact hypoglycemic...naturopath's dignosis.

So...

This means I am pre-pre diabetic.

I also have high cholesterol.

But I am depressed/angry realizing my past and that it's not my fault.

I have zero motivation to move.

But I need to for my health...and sanity

Any ideas for an instrumental or non-suggestive CD for getting you in the mood to move? Something good for cycling or fast walks?

Any ideas for self defense when walking alone so I am not scared of being attacked?

Also, PLEASE list reasons why we should motivating tips...ev MOVE! Any REASONS to move even when I don't feel like to keep in a diary/journal when I need to move but can't get myself to do it...

Thanks for the help *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need motivation... new
      #174577 - 04/27/05 06:56 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Look for flyers for self defense classes at a local YMCA or I saw some at Planned Parenthood today. Riverdance (celtic dance stuff) is a good pick me up music that motivates me, it's fast and upbeat. In terms of walking alone, I carry a flashlight attached to my keys, I try to walk in well lit areas, I keep my head up and stay aware of my surroundings.

My motivation for you to move would be to think about how you want to be healthy enough to be able to get pregnant, since I know you want that! Keep thinking about that, I think/hope that helps....email me, hon, if you want to talk more, or if you want me to send you some music!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#174583 - 04/27/05 07:41 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Ruchie, what happened to your plan from just a few days ago? ???? maybe you should extend diary-ing to recording your exercise as well! For motivational music Why no play the theme from "Rocky" up loud at yourself whenever you're feeling slack.
It's up to you, the more you motivate yourself, the easier it will be to do same.
Get your butt into gear!
R

#174609 - 04/27/05 09:08 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I find that my greatest inspiration to be physically active is loud, pounding techno; like Velvet Acid Christ. But I'm pretty sure that not too many out there on this site would share that oppinion... they're pretty depressing. :}

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

#174610 - 04/27/05 09:31 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hi--
if youre looking for instrumental, richard wagner has some pretty powerful stuff! when im driving, i tune into the classical station and am always in the *best* mood! i actually read in my yoga online journal that pre-making and uploading energetic playlists to an ipod or mp3 player will help you move more. or maybe make a list of your favorite songs? im on my way to doing that b/c i have NO energy to work out either and swimsuit season is on its way i dont really know any defense moves but i always carry my umbrella with me just incase. carry pepperspray if you feel you have to.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Not *too* odd... new
      #174614 - 04/27/05 09:52 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I used to work out listening to Nine Inch Nails - the first couple albums. Nothing like some good angry screaming Trent to make you want to pound the snot out of your body. Heh.

Hey, it's whatever makes you move, no matter how weird it might be to someone else!

Yeah this was my idea! new
      #174643 - 04/28/05 03:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Self-defense classes are great at teaching you the moves and give you the confidence to get out and about. I did one years ago and it's now only the simple things that stay in my mind, but they are with me forever...things like holding your keys in a fist with one key sticking through your fingers (punch someone with that and it'll HURT)...or if someone grabs you from behind, stamping on their foot or kicking their shin (do NOT let them get control of you)....or using an umbrella or rolled up newspaper to whack someone -especially on the front of the thigh to make their leg collapse! A class sounds perfect for you. Then you could go walk Shana on your own all the time without fear!

And just put whatever music you like on and dance round the house...it's great exercise.

#174670 - 04/28/05 05:46 AM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

When I work out I like to listen to dance mixes - the tempo is good for keeping me moving. *Embarassed to admit this* I actually bought an "As seen on TV" CD called "Fired Up!" (actually bought it at Boarders ) It's a great CD for those like me who have not advanced to an MP3 player while working out - guess if you have an MP3 player you could just load these songs on there!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

#174675 - 04/28/05 06:10 AM
Ghost

Reged: 04/24/05

Dear Ruchie,

I can so empathize with how you feel right now.

I am not sure if you are a nature person at all, but probably the single biggest factor that picked me up when I hit rock bottom--and still does, matter of fact--was getting out and watching birds do there little wondrous song-and-dance of life, or just taking a walk in the woods.

If you need inspiring music, I would suggest you find somewhere quiet where you can really hear the birdsongs and the wind in the trees; now is a great time with spring blooming all over. For me, seeing and experiencing that vibrant life, and realizing that I was a PART of it just as it was a part of ME was such a pick-me-up. Our human existence may entail a lot of suffering, but there is also a profound peace and contentment that flows through it all and is available to us. And it is free. ;-)

Be well.
-Justin

#174818 - 04/28/05 01:14 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Hi Ruchie,

Abba Gold is great, upbeat, moving around type music, if you're into, you know, 70's disco type stuff.

I've heard walking with your head up and being aware of your surroundings is the best way to put off an attacker. Just look at everyone like you're trying to remember them for a line-up and they'll probably back off.

I also really liked the idea of peper spray. Just be sure to spray it at least once when you get it, so you know how far it will spray, etc.

At the U of A, they offer a self defence class called RAD. It was really great- an all female class with always at least one female instructors, but the male ones were super great as well. I can't remember what RAD stands for right now...Rape Agression Defence maybe. If you're interested, I can look up more info for you. I think they probably have classes in other major AZ cities as well, if you're not near Tucson.

HTH,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Just had another thought... new
      #175099 - 04/29/05 12:08 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I would think about not wearing headphones when walking, so you are still able to hear what's going on around you.

JMTC,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#175102 - 04/29/05 12:16 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Ruchie, what happened to your plan from just a few days ago? ???? maybe you should extend diary-ing to recording your exercise as well! For motivational music Why no play the theme from "Rocky" up loud at yourself whenever you're feeling slack.
It's up to you, the more you motivate yourself, the easier it will be to do same.
Get your butt into gear!
R

I love the way you think Ralph !!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I'M OLD..... new
      #175103 - 04/29/05 12:18 PM
Shell Marr

I like the 80's stuff.... when you feel like dancing... great beat!! And gotta have some Madonna... "Lucky Star" "Borderline".... her fun stuff!!

--------------------

Re: Just had another thought... new
      #175104 - 04/29/05 12:19 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I would think about not wearing headphones when walking, so you are still able to hear what's going on around you.

JMTC,
Myra

WHEN I use them.... I only use it on one ear for that very reason.....

--------------------

Re: Not *too* odd... new
      #175208 - 04/29/05 08:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Ohhh I totally listen to hard rock and metal stuff when I workout! My boyfriend thinks it's hilarious because I never listen to that stuff outside of the gym. It's really motivating though! Makes me feel so hard core lol Seriously, Rammstein even makes it on to my list...! haha

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review