Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Paxil CR, weight gain and the IBS diet
      #174494 - 04/27/05 02:44 PM
skw

Reged: 10/13/03
Loc: New Mexico

Hi

Have been on the IBS diet for 4+ years now. All my life I have battled to keep my weight UP TO 120, am 5'6", and will be 40 years old next year.

About a year ago, started (much needed) counselling and taking Paxil CR and Elavil. Have seen incredible improvements in my life, IBS is stable, and life is looking better than I ever imagined it could.

Except for the 40 POUNDS I've gained (over the last year)! I only want to lose 10 to 20 pounds, as my doctor says that is a healthy weight for me.

Would like any advice from those of you who might have battled this one.

I know I need to start with daily exercise--I have a treadmill, a good one, so I guess walking to start?

Has anyone taken ADs and been able to lose any weight?

Thank you.

Congrats to all of you that are working on being healthier--good job!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Paxil CR, weight gain and the IBS diet new
      #174572 - 04/27/05 06:38 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello and Welcome

I too had a 40lb weight gain while on Paxil, with no real diet change. I unfortunately didn't find anything that really helped me to lose it, Paxil is notorious for causing weight gain. The only thing I can really suggest would be to see about switching anti-depressants, or going off it if it's not something you really need to be on. I know the Paxil really helped me, but the weight gain ended up getting so out of control (I wasn't as light as you to begin with) that I had to get off it. And once I did the weight came off easier.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion I hope someone else here has something better for you.

Kelly

Re: Paxil CR, weight gain and the IBS diet new
      #174644 - 04/28/05 03:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm. You may need to change a-d's I guess. I'm on Celexa and am losing weight...but I think that was just making me more hungry and craving bad foods.

But tracking your calories and exercise on something like fitday is a good way to start...that way you'll see if you're eating too many cals without realising it!

Thank you for your interest!--nt new
      #174724 - 04/28/05 08:07 AM
skw

Reged: 10/13/03
Loc: New Mexico

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2021

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review